P + D training for VLM 2013

1,581 to 1,600 of 5,754 messages
03/02/2013 at 08:59

Same here NP. I'm procrastinating whilst waiting for the rain to clear. It's not going to clear though!

03/02/2013 at 09:27
Well done in the race NP.

I've slept in this morning, was supposed to be up an hour ago.
10 hrs sleep and I'm still shattered!

Think I'm just gonna do 20 miles today, I think anything more than that is too bigger jump from 18 for me.

Good luck today everyone.
03/02/2013 at 10:30

Hello. Just back from a muddy 22mi in 2hr52. Knackering it was, wish I'd taken those gels now! Managed to get up to MP or thereabouts for last few miles.

Going to attempt a cold bath before hot shower now - won't be a 15 min bath though!

03/02/2013 at 10:36

Wondered who'd be back first! Well done on the 22 miles & great time!

I've just bought some gels hoping to be back on the road soon and thinking I should try them on my next long run. Would you take one before you go out or just wait until halfway? But then if you had tummy problems 10 miles from home it wouldn't be ideal...

03/02/2013 at 11:09

you could try one before you go and one halfway? What gels you using? I use the SIS Go ones, they are one of the few that you don't need to have with water.

03/02/2013 at 11:14

I got a few SIS ones and a few High5 ones and will trial them both on different runs. I've never used or needed gels before, but I haven't done a full marathon either, so it seems like now is the time to try them out. If they both seem similar I will go for whichever flavour is the least disgusting.

03/02/2013 at 11:48

Well it looks as if we are all taking inspiration from others on here.
15W well done on the super paced 22..inspired by NP

Well race yesterday NP a nice family day out too..

Lit...ahem !! I think I may have been back first, I am just in shock at having got up early and got it done !! so only just logged on..

I have been inspired by Heow...if she can get out and run at 6.30 in the morning with 3 children to sort out and get back to I thought..right !! I woke at 5.30 wasnt planning to get up that early...but I started thinking about where to do my 21..and then couldnt get back to sleep so I got up and was out the door by 6.30 !!! if any of you knew me you would know that is unheard of...I have never run that early in my life !! 2 gels 1 ltr water

21 miles in 3.10..dead chuffed

I will bore you with the stats.
9.30..9.32..9.37..9.31..9.13..9.05..9.15..9.03..9.04..9.02 .8.56..9.04..8.44..8.49..8.58..8.46..8.52..8.55..8.48..8.50...8.47
AVE HR 72.7 %

Back to bed now...working tonight 

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 12:23
03/02/2013 at 12:22

NN - VO2 will be at the track with the club if I can twist their arm to sing to my tune.

Excellent result NP

pushed my 21 out yesterday am in 2.45 as I knew there would be no way of running today due to rugby and booze. Given the performance I might run nextweeks LSR at the same time as the match.

03/02/2013 at 13:29
I won't allow any talk of rugby on here thank you! Wales were woeful. Back to the dark days for us and it pains me to say it, but England looked very impressive. Still the poor performance meant I didn't get too drunk so was able to get my 21 miles done this morning. Lovely off road run along the coast in 2h 37 mins. Suprises myself with a few sub 7s at the end too. Was a real confidence booster as I felt sure I would bonk after 18

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice Sunday lunch of carb loading!
03/02/2013 at 13:33

Did the 21 miles at 7.24 pace.  Slighty too fast I know but needed to be home in time for Sunday lunch.

Used one gel at 12 miles but that was all.  Reckon I may need more on the day due to faster pace.

03/02/2013 at 13:55
Well done everyone on the long runs so far. Just finished my 20 miles in 2hrs 40.
Kept the pace nice and comfortable and still felt quite strong at the end.

As for gels I used 3 today and go through lots of them, I can see everyone's point about trying to be more efficient and not rely on gels but I don't see the point in struggling through training sessions if you don't need to.

For me I want to get through the training sessions as easy as possible, it's not a competition to see who can suffer the most.
Now is the time to start practicing your race strategy in long runs so start experimenting with your nutrition now!

Lecture over!
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 13:57
03/02/2013 at 14:04

Great Race NP! 

And great 21 milers coming in also! 6.30am starts and all! Good running 

I set out for my 18, was meeting a friend at mile 5 to do a few miles together and then finish off on my own. I got cramp in my right hamstring after 3 miles, had to walk a bit before the 5 miles was up and seriously considered calling it a day. Met with my friend and decided to try another two or three miles before making a decision, ended up doing 8 with her then finishing off the last 5. The cramp wouldn't go, I stopped and stretched a few times and ended up just finding a pace where it wasn't too painful so I could carry on. I am pleased to get the miles done, average in the end was 10.20, I was aiming for more like 10.

I am wondering if I would benefit from a sports massage but have never had one before  

03/02/2013 at 14:11

I'm with you Mark on the gels. I tend to need them and notice a difference on long runs if I don't take any. I took 3 today for my 21 miler and will probably be planning to take 6 on race day (one every half hour and one at the start). My wife won't be coming near me for at least a week after that!

Definately worth giving the sports massage a go Pottermiss. I've only had it a couple of times and its been beneficial. Hopefully if its anything they cant fix they can reccomend a good physio that can look at it if you need - but hopefully it will clear up. Which reminds me, my Sciatica has really not liked todays long run and is now in full effect. Great!

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 14:13
03/02/2013 at 14:23

Pottermiss, I definitely think sports massage is worth trying. I first had it ages ago after I strained something in my thigh while trying to do splits (don't ask). It hurts, and I thought he was going to rip my leg off, but it did get better! At other times (like recently) it's been really useful for identifying exactly where the tightness is that's causing problems, which isn't always where the cramp is. Also good for learning new stretches that target the right areas.

Re. gels, I am going to try them as I haven't before, and might need them on longer distances than I have yet, but I've never noticed myself run out of energy on a long run (up to 20 miles) before. Presumably you take them before you run out of energy, but then how would you know if you were going to? I don't l like sweets or artificial flavours at ALL, so that might be where the suffering for my training comes in!

03/02/2013 at 14:24

Feb 17 - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24 
April 14 - Tenjiso, jr2408 - Brighton - Sub 4.00 
April 21 - Keir - VLM - Sub 2.50
April 21 - 15West, No Pain - VLM - Sub 2.55 
April 21 - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs, Surrey Runner - VLM -Sub 3.00 
April 21 - Stutyr - VLM - Sub 3:15 
April 21 - Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40 
April 21 - Go Caz VLM Sub 3.50 
April 21 - Fiona J - VLM - Sub 4:00
April 21 - Pottermiss - VLM - Sub 4.15 (would love a 4.10!) 

I just thought I would bring this forward as there are a few new ones on here now, feel free to add 

Yes I think I will look into the sports massage, it might help, I could ask for recommendations at running club. Sciatica can be very painful, my OH suffers it regularly and gives it as a reason for not trying this running thing, I hope it's not too bad Chris.

03/02/2013 at 14:29

Feel free to add me at having a crack at sub 3 Potter miss (even if I fail spectacularly!). And on that note, change yours to 4.10!! - you never know if you don't give it a try. Aim high!

The Sciaitica is usually only really bad after runs - especially long ones. During the run it is managable, but noticable. Its just something I have learned to put up with I guess. I enjoy running too much to not do it, so put up with it and so far nobody has been able to remedy it for me.

03/02/2013 at 14:33

Oh, good idea, Pottermiss, as I'd lost track of everyone's goals. But I'll wait (superstitiously) to add myself till I get back to training and see if I can still do it!

Re. cramp, I've just remembered (with amazing hindsight vision), that when I was training for my first half I had a similar problem with pain in my left thigh during a run, would stop and stretch, then it would come back and I'd have to stretch again. Went and told my pilates teacher about it, she taught me two glute stretches I hadn't known before, I started doing them regularly and it never happened again. Am now realising that's sort of similar to what's happened to me now -- a couple of years later, upped the training mileage again for a bigger event than I'm used to, but kept stretching about the same, and got very tight again. The moral of the story seems to be: increase stretching/massage in proportion to increasing everything else.

03/02/2013 at 15:02

On gels, one can take too many.  I used five at the MK marathon and felt a bit sick towards the end.  Had to stop for 30 seconds at mile 23 to recover.

03/02/2013 at 15:59

I did my 18m this morning with an average pace of 7:59m/m. The 1st 9 miles averaged  about 8.15m and then I gradually increased the pace over the 2nd 9 miles. Didn't even consider trying to do any at PMP. 

It all felt a bit of a struggle but I think that was just due to yesterday's 5k exertion and the after effects of a sports massage which had left my legs a bit tender in a few places. I think I'll make sure that my legs are a bit fresher for next weeks long run.

Pottermiss, don't let that put you off booking one. I'd definitely recommend that you go for a sports massage. I try to have one every 4-6 weeks.

I've no idea on how to add my target time to the list without breaking the formatting so can someone add me to it?

I'm aiming for sub 3:30 at VLM and then sub 3:15 at Edinburgh on the 26th of May.

03/02/2013 at 16:30

Feb 17 - Mennania - Wrexham half - Sub 1:24 
April 14 - Tenjiso, jr2408 - Brighton - Sub 4.00 
April 21 - Keir - VLM - Sub 2.50
April 21 - 15West, No Pain - VLM - Sub 2.55 
April 21 - Mennania, Mark 1981, Al runs, Surrey Runner, Chris J77 - VLM -Sub 3.00 
April 21 - Stutyr - VLM - Sub 3:15 
April 21 - ZiggyThe Spider - VLM - Sub 3:30 (May 26 - Edinburgh - Sub 3:15)
April 21 - Night Nurse - VLM - Sub 3.40
April 21 - Go Caz VLM Sub 3.50
April 21 - Fiona J - VLM - Sub 4:00
April 21 - Pottermiss - VLM - Sub 4.10 (well why not!)

I think I've done it right 

1,581 to 1,600 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.