P + D training for VLM 2013

1,641 to 1,660 of 5,754 messages
04/02/2013 at 17:13

the P&D plan has a few 10k tune-up races in the last few weeks. Does anyone know of a list of cheap (or free) 10k races that I could find for mid March to mid April?

The RW Events page seems a bit thin on the ground with Saturday 10k races in London in spring. If there aren't any i guess I could just run round the park a few times.

04/02/2013 at 17:49
Yeah, it seems that most races in the uk are on Sundays, whereas the book calls for Saturday races. I guess it's a U.S thing with races on Saturdays there? Think I'll just move things around to suit at the time. Maybe long run on the Friday and race Sunday. Just out of interest is anyone else planning to ditch the morning double easy run? I am not a morning person and don't think I can be arsed to get out of bed for an easy few miles before work. I much prefer night. Any harm in just doing the longer 6 mile easy on double day and not doing the 4 in the morn?
04/02/2013 at 18:05

I think you just have to do what you have time for. I can run morning or evening but  might struggle to fit in both around work and other things. My job's reasonably flexible about when I start and finish most days, but not usually at both ends! (and yes, I could get up earlier like some of the more hardcore people on here, but I really like sleeping).

04/02/2013 at 18:37

I will take each week  it as it comes, can manage to do the 2 runs tomorrow as I am off work now till Fri night, its then that my problem starts, when to get the 20 miler done ? as I am working Fri, Sat , Sun night, do I do it Fri instead of the 11 LT or Monday ? I dont mind running 13/14 between night shifts but not a 20.

04/02/2013 at 18:51
Stutyr- I'm not sure why the schedule has been swapped around like that on wk10. I think I'm going to do the LT on Tues, recovery on Wed and ML run on Thurs as per usual as I won't have time to do 10 miles on Fri. Next week looks quite a lot easier in comparison, even though it is not the official recovery week.

As for tune-up races I think they break up training a bit and give a good indicator of progress. On some Sundays the runs are shorter so a race could replace one of those maybe. I don't think we'll find many Saturday races in the UK, apart from parkruns of course.
04/02/2013 at 19:22
So nice training and advice on here today, training for me to day was 54x25 m front crawl then after a look at my training records its just over 3 weeks since my last no run day so I took today as a rest day from running. Will spend 40 later stretching and on the foam roller. normal service tomorrow.
04/02/2013 at 19:58

AgentGinger - Would it be possible to do your long runs on a Monday?

Then you could basically just move your schedule a day, so doing a race on a Sunday then LR on a Monday.

I cant see how ill be able to race on a Sat and then do a long run the day after. It usually takes me days to get over a race, even if i race my way round a parkrun my legs are still sore the day after.

Those that have followed this schedule before, did you race Sat and then Long Run Sun?

Im on nights tonight so ill be running home in the morning then back here tomorrow night so that'll be my 10 miles covered.

I did an easy swim today, feeling nice and refreshed ready to go again tomorrow.

04/02/2013 at 20:03

Agent Ginger

Sat, 23rd Mar, 2013  Richmond Spring Riverside 10k Run 2013  www.thefixevents.com

Sat March 30, 2013  Run Richmond Park 10k Race 3 2013  http://www.thefixevents.com/content/run-richmond-park-5k-and-10k-race-3-2013

Sat April 6, 2013  Bolt Round the Holt 10k  www.boltholt.co.uk

Sat April 6, 2013 Victoria Park Open 5m  (Hackney)  http://www.vphthac.org.uk/open5

Sat, 6th Apr, 2013 The Tough 5k 10k 15k Greenwich Park 2013  http://www.thefixevents.com/content/the-tough5-10-15-greenwich-park-2013

From the Fetch race look-up page – I have nothing to do with thefixevents!! No excuse now...

04/02/2013 at 20:12

Mark good luck with the run home after a night shift, I couldnt do that, I have to get my sleep before I  run.

04/02/2013 at 20:23

NN - I have Garmin HRM - which one do you have?  I will get new battery for it as well I think.  

After fighting demons all day re going out in gales tonight to do my 10 mile LT run, I did it and I am chuffed I did as weather was not quite as bad as I thought (although still bloody windy) and I felt so strong, I seem to be back to full fitness! (tempo always a gauge for me how well I am re asthma etc).  I did an extra LT mile by accident too!  So 10 miles at 8m/m average 9:11; 8:51; 7:46; 7:41; 7:31; 7:31; 7:25; 7:38; 8:28; 8:45.   When I consider my last flat HM back in Sept was 7:58m/m and today was no real huge effort (even on the tempo), I am hoping this is a good sign for Wrexham as obviously, I only did 18 miles on Saturday too.  Feeling positive again now!  

04/02/2013 at 20:27

HeOw, sounds like an amazing run! Especially the 'accidental' LT mile...

I had the same thing with the wind this morning; was howling outside my window but just felt refreshing when outside.

04/02/2013 at 20:52

Heow that is a brilliant run, as you say the tempo is the toughest session really, just goes to show a few days even a couple weeks off dont really matter..its just a taper after all.

I have the garmin 310xt with the soft strap , its just that I have heard some of the ridgid straps are less reliable..I think its pretty usual for ost to spike a bit for th fist mile or so.

04/02/2013 at 20:59

I have followed the schedule before - and for the saturday races I just did either a tempo run or a 5k park run. Not sure what I'm doing this time, probably something similar.

Got a double day tomorrow - and the 6 miles in the morning might be fun looking at the weather forecast for the NW and hearing what's going on outside right now.

I keep eating cereal - think I'm craving the milk.

04/02/2013 at 21:07
mark1981 wrote (see)

AgentGinger - Would it be possible to do your long runs on a Monday?

Then you could basically just move your schedule a day, so doing a race on a Sunday then LR on a Monday.

I cant see how ill be able to race on a Sat and then do a long run the day after. It usually takes me days to get over a race, even if i race my way round a parkrun my legs are still sore the day after.

Those that have followed this schedule before, did you race Sat and then Long Run Sun?

Im on nights tonight so ill be running home in the morning then back here tomorrow night so that'll be my 10 miles covered.

I did an easy swim today, feeling nice and refreshed ready to go again tomorrow.

Mark, I've never followed this schedule before but at the weekend I raced a parkrun and then did my longest run for a year on the Sunday. I won't pretend that it was fun but I think the whole point of the long run after a race is to get you used to running on tired legs.

Although I didn't enjoy it, the fact that I could do 18 miles on sore legs has given me a lot of reassurance that I'll be able to grind out the last few on marathon day when it all starts to hurt.

HeOw, I don't think I've ever done an extra LT mile by accident. You must have been enjoying yourself too much!!

04/02/2013 at 21:19

Ive never trained with this sort of volume or intensity before so I suppose its all still a learning curve. Maybe I'll recover a lot better this time around.

Saying that I dont know of any 10ks on the dates in March anyway so it might just be a few parkruns

Nice running HeOw, Hardcore stuff 

04/02/2013 at 21:36

I am a beast...   Pushing the boundaries of the tempo me. I MIGHT add an extra stride next week, really piss all over P&D good style...

NN - I have the soft strap on and when I first used it, it used to spike all over the shop for first mile but now, it seems to want to have me over for 2 miles.  Hmm. May clean the bugger. Jesus, talk about having to work hard for this marathon. 

I too am a bit up in arms re tune up races.  Don't they know us UK folks don't do Saturday racing?  I think, like the majority, I will do park run with a few miles either side and luckily, there is one starting not too far from me beginning of March in Delamere Forest. 

Double days aren't for me, I take my hat off to you double enders.

04/02/2013 at 21:56

Soft strap on?

I thought this was a running forum.

04/02/2013 at 21:59

NN and myself prefer the soft straps to the hard ones, they work better it seems. 

04/02/2013 at 22:06

Plenty of lube Heow..

04/02/2013 at 22:14

Ha ha ha

1,641 to 1,660 of 5,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.