Pace

8 messages
01/04/2005 at 08:06
Can anyone tell me if I run a 3 mile race at 7.46 pace, how I train to get this pace or slightly slower (7.51) for a half marathon. My dream would be to get under 1.30 for a half marathon. Last year I ran a 5 mile undulating race at 7.20 pace in May and then in the September ran a half marathon (flat) at 7.15 pace. I have been running for three years and average about 30-35 miles per week. I currently do a couple of speed sessions a week - maybe 10 x 1 min and other different ones - maybe 6 x 800 or 400. I found the 7.46 pace "doable" so know that I can "do" it - it's just "maintaining it for longer" but not sure how to train for it. Any help?
01/04/2005 at 09:28
My experience is that short interval speedwork is of only limited use when training for longer races (i.e. half marathon). I would go for longer intervals.

Find a loop of about 1k.
Start with a 10 min run round the loop at 80-85% of MHR.
Jog for 3 minutes (back to the start of the loop).
Run 10 mins again.

The second week increase to 2 x 12 mins. Then try 1 x 20 mins........ and so on.
01/04/2005 at 09:36
It's a bit of a misconception, Mairead. Physiologically, no-one will ever have a best pace for one distance which is the same as for a shorter distance. So to improve your pace over a half marathon, you will inevitably need to improve your three-mile pace. In other words, you need to get fitter - speedwork's the key, it's just a case of finding the most effective speedwork - maybe Mr W's plan?
01/04/2005 at 09:42
Thanks - will give that a go. I have tried speedwork of 6 mins, 3 mins and 1 min. Aimed for three sets but stopped after two as I found it quite hard. Will try longer intervals as well. I am aiming for a half marathon in June and probably September as well - should I see an improvement in pace for June half marathon do you think?
01/04/2005 at 12:43
Of course, it's 12 weeks away. That's plenty of time to see a good change. Your sub 1.5 hour 1/2 may be a bit too much. Are you doing the Southend 1/2? I'm down to do that.
01/04/2005 at 13:18
Base Training ??
Ask the question there
01/04/2005 at 14:03
You need to work on your threshold, then your half marathon time will come down pretty quick. Once a week you can do:

- 1h time trial (for pace)
or
- Tempo run @ half marathon pace (30-45 mins)
or
- Hard tempo run 20 mins (for leg turnover)

In addition 90 minutes once a week, just time on feet should help as well.

BUT don't jump straight ahead into a crazy schedule, those sessions need to be build up over time.
01/04/2005 at 14:10
Mairead
If you want a simple training run that will help try an hour of 5 minutes at 1/2m pace followed by 5 minutes at 10k pace. You will need to include a warm up and warm down though.

After a while, or if it's too easy, you can lengthen some of the fast bits or increase their speed to 5k pace.

It only needs a watch.
JJ

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.