Pacing

4 messages
13/08/2002 at 10:53
I think I'm just about starting to get my head around the concept of training at different paces during different sessions (intervals - slightly faster than goal race pace, tempo - around goal race pace, long runs - 'conversation' pace etc.) One thing that does confuse me though - how fast (or slow!) should I be running during a 'recovery' run?

I'd planned a recovery run last night after Sunday's long run, and thought a reasonably slow pace for me might be about 5:30/k. When I checked my stopwatch, though, I saw that I was averaging about 5:04/k. This felt fine when running, but I was conscious that it wasn't exactly 'recovery' for me. When I consciously tried to slow it down, my kilometre splits were actually faster than the start of my run! I just couldn't seem to slow it down.

Should a recovery run be done at around the same pace as my long slow run? Or slower? I normally run my long runs at 'conversation' pace, and this seems fine. My legs feel pleasantly tired after a long run but not shattered.
13/08/2002 at 10:59
I know what you mean!
However I've found that a Heart Rate monitor helps (HRM). Im no expert on these but I have ascertained what my approx 5k/10k/halfM/marathon heart rates are and then use the HRM so that my recoveries are slower than marathon pace. In this way I run my recoveries slower.I was sceptical beforehand but it seems to work OK for me!
13/08/2002 at 12:39
Minkin

Dustin is right the only real way to tell is using a HRM, where most advice will tell you that running at close to 60-65% MHR is a recovery pace. If you don't have an HRM then this is difficult to measure but generally people run too fast on recovery runs.

As a guide you should aim to run at a pace which feels more like a jog and your breathing should be very easy (try running 3-3 pace, if you can't then you're probably running too fast.
14/08/2002 at 20:20
One of my mates who has no HRM reckons if he can sing (usually Elvis or Frank Sinatra impersonations) as he's running, then he's running recovery pace - mind you, he's the one who also humms tunes as he's doing sprints!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.