P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,576 messages
16/09/2013 at 09:06

Hello all. First day of 3 week taper today...and despite schedule saying 6mi going to gove myself a day off. Hurrah.

16/09/2013 at 09:30

Should be first day of taper...  but only managed 10 miles last week.  So I think it best not to reduce that amount

Going to see if I can fit in yesterday's long run in straight after work.

acp
16/09/2013 at 09:42

Thanks for the reply Lit. I was thinking of something slightly faster than my LSR pace so that kind of fits in! And how do you go about getting coaching from another forumite? I guess you already need to be pretty good....!

And sorry to everybody who IS running a marathon for posting non-marathon queries!

16/09/2013 at 10:06

acp - I think you just hang around on enough silly non-training threads being obnoxious until someone offers. As for 'faster than LSR pace' it depends how you decided what your LSR pace is. I don't differentiate between easy & LSR pace, but the pace is based on my race times so it's manageable.

Anyway, that lot'll all be grateful for the non-marathon talk when they finish their races and have nothing to fill the empty, meaningless, marathonless void. 

16/09/2013 at 14:34

Will fill the void with planning base building for London 2014

16/09/2013 at 14:37

I'll be filling mine with alcohol.

16/09/2013 at 14:58

Both good strategies, Ryan & 15W. I was reminded to actually apply for London 2014 yesterday by the threads with people fretting about impending ballot results, so I'll be there too.

16/09/2013 at 20:02
Have you not already got your GFA/Champ entry in for London, Lit?

BTW, I got a Boston place so I'm doing 'a Fiona' ....VLM 2014 with Boston a week later (I don't know how to do the party popper emoticon thingy)
Edited: 16/09/2013 at 20:03
16/09/2013 at 20:15

Congrats on the Boston place, Shazmo!

Champs entry for London opened (and closes) later than GFA, so I had to wait to apply then forgot all about it. Haven't paid up though as I don't have to till January.

Edited: 16/09/2013 at 20:17
17/09/2013 at 08:53

Feeling good today .  Went to training as usual last night (and ran there and back.....) and legs feel great today.  I did run at a very easy pace though.  GOt absolutely soaked!  Rest day today.

Ooh Boston, well done Shazmo!  Have some party poppers from me too

I think Lit also deserves some for her Championship place

Hope those who are marathoning this weekend are tapering nicely?

17/09/2013 at 09:00

I'm going mental!!

Fervently checking the weather forecast which is looking pretty hot at the moment (21/22 degrees). Have discovered that the water stations only have paper cups which I'm uselsss at drinking out of!! The stations only have water so these things together are making me lean towards taking my running belt to carry some Lucozade. Any thoughts?

17/09/2013 at 09:28

What have you done your training runs with Ryan?  Have you practised your long runs with your belt?

17/09/2013 at 09:43
Thank you

Ah OK Lit.....you had me worried for a minute and trawled through my old emails to check I'd not got mixed re my London place and had I actually got one!!

Hmmm, tricky one Ryan - if you're used to running with a belt then yeah, go for it. You could always ditch it on the way round if it starts to bug you (if you don't mind taking the hit on the cost) and then use the paper cups. I like to keep in a rhythm running so stopping for a drink from a paper cup would bug me.

At my local races they ask you at the start if you've any drinks/gel etc you want taking out to various drinks stations along the course. We just bring our own bottle with name on it and hand it over. Worth checking if this facility is available at your race - apologies, I don't know how big an even it it.
Edited: 17/09/2013 at 09:44
17/09/2013 at 10:04

No facility for dropping bottles as far as I know - there's nothing in the info about it. I always use a camelbak for long runs but previous to that I used the belt with no real problems. It's reasonably comfortable and I think the peace of mind that carrying it will give me is probably worth the small amount of time I'll lose by carrying it. I'd be happy to ditch it if necessary

17/09/2013 at 10:26
Sounds like a plan! Just don't leave car keys or similar in it if you do ditch it
Hope the weather turns cool for you (or whatever you prefer). Good luck!!
17/09/2013 at 11:08

Morning all.

Shazmo - well done on your Boston place...very exciting.

Ryan - DON'T PANIC! What time is the marathon? It is september so hopefully won't be that warm in the morning. You could take the bottles if that gives you peace of mind, and carrying lucozade will tick both the hydration and carb boxes...or just cope with the cups. You only need a couple of gulps at each water station. Most important thing is to relax...get plenty of sleep...don't stress....eat well....etc...

17/09/2013 at 11:09

I'm asking myself the same questions re. the belt.... I use one in training but need 4x250ml bottles in it... this alone is a kilo more in weight.

I might take a hybrid approach.... take a couple of 250ml bottles of drink and use them between aid stations where I'll just take the water... I'll need something to carry my gels in anyway and the belt has loops for these.

Good luck anyway.

17/09/2013 at 11:12

9mi with 5x600 today for me. Not sure whether the intervals will be outside or on the treadmill yet.

17/09/2013 at 11:23

Starts at 10am - hopefully there will be some cloud cover on the day.

I'm going to trial the belt with 2/4 bottles filled this afternoon to make sure it's feasible and then take it with me and decide on the morning. As Mark says above, it will make carrying the Shot Bloks easier and give me easy access to liquid if the paper cups are too difficult.

17/09/2013 at 11:57

I quite like paper/plastic cups, but then I am like 15W in that I never want more than a couple of sips anyway. I suppose it's too late to practise with cups?

1,981 to 2,000 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.