P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

2,001 to 2,020 of 2,574 messages
17/09/2013 at 12:15

I've tried using cups at races before but can only get a decent amount in my mouth (and not all over my face!) if I slow to a walk. Multiply the time lost by the 7/8 water stations then I reckon I'm probably better off carrying it as I take in quite a lot of liquid when it's warm. 

I'm just a bit dubious about it as I've not seen anyone finishing around me (at marathons) who has been carrying any liquid

17/09/2013 at 13:33

Is it laps? Know anyone who can supply drinks along the route?

17/09/2013 at 13:40
Ryan Snell wrote (see)

I'm just a bit dubious about it as I've not seen anyone finishing around me (at marathons) who has been carrying any liquid

Presumably you haven't done a marathon with paper cups either, or you wouldn't be fretting about it now. So maybe everyone around you will be carrying liquid this time.

17/09/2013 at 14:02

Good point Literatin

No, it's not laps unfortunately 15W - I'm sure the belt will work out fine in the end

17/09/2013 at 14:31

I think we should all get down to the New Forest and we can be Ryan's personal drink stations. What do you think? Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as have a marathon to train for.

17/09/2013 at 20:13

I've started carb loading already.

17/09/2013 at 20:40

Beer?

17/09/2013 at 21:02

Yes please.

18/09/2013 at 08:25

Morning all. 14mi for me today. Everyone ok?

acp
18/09/2013 at 09:05

I'm OK! Just not training for a marathon anymore so now an imposter like Lit et al!

Finally had test results which confirm low iron and therefore anaemia so I shall carry on taking the iron tablets. I think they're are having an effect as my runs don't feel quite so hard and my HR is back to normal. Bit late to stll do the marathon though!

Enjoy that 14miles 15W.

18/09/2013 at 09:25
Yes, all good thanks 15W...got a slight bum cheek niggle, but manageable. Got a few days off after tomorrow anyway as I'm of to London for long weekend, so hopefully it'll settle.

Ryan's support crew could go camping - weather looks pleasant enough this weekend. Beer, disposable BBQ
18/09/2013 at 09:47

I've now got used to the idea of DNSing my autumn marathon. The disappointment has been secondary to the misery of not being able to run at all. 

I think I must actually enjoy running - easily forgotten when pushing hard on the P&D!

I've tried running a few times, but only now feel ready to start the 5week 55-70 recovery mesocycle. I think I might have had a deep calf strain/ soleus tear...something like that.

I've bought some Compressport calf guards and wear them to run and for recovery after. Previously sceptical, I find that they do help.

Hope you are all having better luck with your campaigns. See you in the P&D Spring thread

Edited: 18/09/2013 at 09:48
18/09/2013 at 10:16

Morning all. For the 2 above who aren't able to run autumn marathons I hope you both can fully recover and get some good base miles in over the winter and then run a storming spring marathon next year

The belt experiment didn't go well - if i do carry anything it will be the camelbak but I'm hoping it won 't be too hot.

Full of taper madness niggles this morning but doing my best to ignore them Off out for easy 5 to hopefully make me feel better

18/09/2013 at 11:08

Ryan - get some paper cups and practice. I think technique is to squeeze so in a v shaped spout type shape. Good luck with the rest of the taper...going to do any carb loading?

Andrews/acp - good luck with those recoveries. Andrews - maybe you should take something else up until injury completely gone?

Shazmo - good luck with the bum cheek niggle. Any pics?

18/09/2013 at 11:13
Ryan - I've heard that too about putting the cups into a V shape. And I get all sorts of phantom ailments during taper - it will all come good on the day.

Glad you're feeling positive ACP, and good news that the iron levels are improving. That's one thing I need to be aware of, being a woman and all that.

Photos? For you, 15W, anything
18/09/2013 at 11:34

I'm going to follow the same plan as Brighton - 7/8g of carbs per kg of body weight the day before the marathon. It's difficult to do without overeating - you need to use juice or lucozade etc to get them all in without feeling like a massive lump!!

Feel better after my little run. 2-10 shifts today and tomorrow then off for a few days 

18/09/2013 at 11:34

And I shall try the V shape thing tomorrow - thanks

18/09/2013 at 14:09

I was just out on my 14mi run and I got stopped by SusTrans for a survey about my journey today.

18/09/2013 at 20:02

8 miles for me tonight including hill sprints - tough session! Looking forward to camping at Great Langdale over the weekend.  Hope it warms up a bit though 

18/09/2013 at 21:50

acp - glad you've finally got those results and that the iron tablets are helping.

andrews - take it easy, but glad you seem to be improving too. But take it easy (that goes for acp too).

As for me, I keep getting asked if I'm doing Robin Hood marathon now all the road closure warning signs have gone up around town. Then I say I am doing the half and everyone looks deeply unimpressed. Was much better last year when the full mara wasn't on and people were willing to be amazed by anyone doing a half marathon.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.