P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

21 to 40 of 2,577 messages
30/04/2013 at 21:17

Thanks NN.  Hmmm, good question.  Various race calculators would suggest I'm capable of roughly 3:50 IF I did the appropriate training for a full.  I've heard that these are quite optimistic though so I might be better off aiming for 4:15.  Would love to get anything sub-4 though.

Which races are everyone else planning on?

30/04/2013 at 21:31

Oh nice new shiny thread.

I am running Chester it will be my first full marathon. Was unsure whether to follow P&D for my first or take it slightly easier - however sadist is my middle name so am halfway through reading the book and will follow the 55 pw plan. I am nowhere in the league of some of you on the P&D thread.

My aim is very much like Tiny Runner, would love a sub 4hours and that it is what various calculators suggest. But as its my first I will be happy to finish in around the 4:15 mark. As I have already signed up for Brighton as well it doesn't matter too much if I completely balls it up first time round!!

Look forward to pearls of wisdon from the experienced and the odd profanity from Heow!!

30/04/2013 at 21:38

Welcome Lisa and Tiny.  For your first it can go either way.  My way (shit) or Literatin's way (unbelievably not shit).  I would set a goal but NOT from a pace calculator, if you are running between 1:45-1:50 Half, I reckon aim for 4:00-4:15. What are your Half times?

**Edit for poor spelling of unbelievably. 

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 21:39
30/04/2013 at 21:40

Ah but HeOw did you use P&D for your first time? If not it doesn't count.

30/04/2013 at 21:42

Can I pull up a chair or do I need to join Lit on the separate thread for serious road runners?

Hello Lisa and Tiny runner. I've just finished P&D for a spring marathon and managed to go sub 4 for the first time.

30/04/2013 at 21:44
Fiona J wrote (see)

Hello Lisa and Tiny runner. I've just finished P&D for a spring marathon and managed to go sub 4 for the first time.

TWICE in TWO WEEKS, she modestly didn't mention.

30/04/2013 at 21:44

Thanks for the welcome.  Most recent half time was 1hr 42, but believe I could shave a minute or two off that at the moment.

Can you explain yor shit way of training Heow, so I can learn what not to do? .  Hopefully I can follow literatin's unbelievably not shit way, but this distance is new territory to me and I'm bricking it.

30/04/2013 at 21:45

Sub 4 twice in two weeks?! Fiona.....one word........HERO!

30/04/2013 at 21:46

Yeah, go on HeOw, tell Tiny Runner the story about how you went out and ran 26.2 miles all by yourself just to see if you could. 

Tiny Runner, I just followed P&D 55-70 obsessively and also did lots of stretching.

30/04/2013 at 21:49

Up to 55 miles and aiming for sub 3:45... HM improved to a 1:45 pretty hilly one (Grantham), and Eyam next so I doubt it'll come down anytime soon!

Berlin is the target with Chester as a back up if logistically I can't get to Berlin (or it works out too expensive).

30/04/2013 at 21:49
literatin wrote (see)

Tiny Runner, I just followed P&D 55-70 obsessively and also did lots of stretching.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

*pulls chair in closer and eagerly awaits anecdote from HeOw*

30/04/2013 at 21:57

Hi all, can I join in?  I'm going to be following the up to 55 plan for Clarendon in October.  Was supposed to be my second one, but fell down the stairs while training for Milton Keynes   Very not an advanced runner, must just be a masochist!

30/04/2013 at 21:59

Tiny - I believe "nutter" was used on the other P&D thread!

with a HM time of 1:42 you should be capable of sub 4 or less but always difficult when stepping into the unknown. You should look at the new Fetch predictor for marathon times as it appears more accurate than others.

P&D has certainly resulted in huge improvements for me. I followed the up to 55 plan and used heart rate for all my runs. I would recommend it as I think you see the improvements in pace much more than you would if you stuck to pace.

30/04/2013 at 22:10

Hi daisyjess and daeve.

Thanks Fiona.  I tried the fetch one too and that comes out with 3:47.  I think I might make my 'A' target 3:59, 'B' target 4:15 and 'C' target to get round in one piece with clean underwear.  Will see how I can on with training over the next few months and adjust accordingly.

I do have a HRM but I find that if I have it fitting snugly (snugly......is that a word?!) then the plastic 'garmin' bit cuts into my skin, even with generous amounts of vaseline, but if it's too loose it ends up around my waist. Hence it's now in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.  May have to dig it out again.

30/04/2013 at 22:14

Hi all, please can someone point me in the right direction for more info on P & D? Ran 4.17 at London and would love to do 4 hours at York in October! 

30/04/2013 at 22:20

Hello all, would love to join you and I have a question thats bugging me. I am running Abington, it will be my 6th marathon and am hoping to get close to 3.30 having just done London in 3.38. I followed the RW ultimate sub 3.30 plan and know I ran my long runs too quick.

Next time I was looking at trying the Garmin ready sub 3.30 but it concerns me that there are only 2 runs of 20 miles and 2 of 18 miles but it is much more pace specific - is this the trade off and does it work? i.e run your long runs a bit quicker but do less of them? It would seem to make sense but i've never ran a marathan with fewer than 5 x 20 milers in training.

Does anyone have any thoughts or is this just obvious and i'm being thick?

30/04/2013 at 22:26

Ooh, lots of women, that's what we like to see! Er, and welcome Daeve!

Denise, you might want to get the book  (other bookshops are available) which has training schedules in it but also quite a lot of useful explanations of the different sessions and why they're there.

Tiny, I didn't wear knickers for my marathon. Maybe that is the secret!

30/04/2013 at 22:26

I'm in, followed P&D 12 week plan for my first marathon at Lochaber a couple of weeks ago, finished in 4:28, this time I'm going to do the 55 mile plan with the long runs from the 70 hopping to go sub 4 but will assess MP later in the campaign 

30/04/2013 at 22:34

err sorry, forgot to say,  I know you are all doing P&D plans so hope you dont mind me asking about a different one

30/04/2013 at 22:37

Hi, can I join your gang? I'm aiming to do the 55 mile plan but might go a bit longer depending on whether my old legs will take the punishment. Don't have a time in mind yet, will see how the summer races go first. I've entered the Marathon des Alpes-Maritimes in Nov...

21 to 40 of 2,577 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.