P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

1,121 to 1,140 of 2,576 messages
03/07/2013 at 11:21

I think running a half at mp also helps to practice your pacing for a full marathon because you don't turn up and start racing everyone on the day of a marathon, (well you shouldn't anyway.) 

A marathon should be controlled most of the way round and ran at your own pace and that certainly takes some discipline! 

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 11:22
03/07/2013 at 14:36

Doing a HM at MP does help with the discipline that you need for the first half of marathon so I guess you should set out to achieve that if that is your plan. I don't seem to have much bother with that at all. Plus I love the fact that you finish and feel rather fresh which makes a nice change. I couldn't care less algae anyone else thinks about my times. I do parkrun every week and most have times around 28 - 35 mins so  my PB Of 23 looks a bit suspicious!

LFR - I did most of my LT runs and LSR on similar routes as that's all the choice I have. I assume it makes me stronger but a killer at the time especially if you also encounter a headwind. 

03/07/2013 at 14:50

Yesterday's LT session was tough and I had planned to run today's 14 medium/easy. However, I ended up running about 8 seconds per miles quicker than the quicker recommended pace.

Have a feeling it will come back to haunt me on Sunday!

Edited: 03/07/2013 at 14:52
03/07/2013 at 20:28

8 miles run this evening was supposed to be ar MLR pace but failed miserably and it was run at PMP +20 secs . This now means that my race on Sunday is doomed. I will try and have a mini taper now until Saturday when I will do a 3 miler at recovery pace just to stretch the legs. I will then jump back on the P&D bandwagon next week - obviously depending on how wrecked my quads are after 15 miles of hills and trail.

LFR for my first LT run I did the hilly run and vowed to not do it again as although I just about maintained the pace I am sure that the fact that I was ready to vomit was a sign that I was working far to hard!

03/07/2013 at 22:06

Lisa123 - It sounds like you might be doing Bewl 15 on Sunday and that you haven't done it before.  I'm doing it too.  I've done it twice before.  In case you're interested, my memory is that after the first km, which is steeply downhill, it's flat for the first 10 miles, but mainly on track, so not my normal, preferred, tarmac!  The last 5 miles are up and down, finishing by running up the hill we ran down at the start.

I'll be trying to follow the P&D schedule for the day, and run 10 of the 15 miles at marathon heart rate.

I find the course deceptively hard to do a decent time on.

03/07/2013 at 23:00

Evening all, 

Lisa, that's simply unacceptable!

It's quite a challenge to slow down when it matters.  I did my LSR of 14 miles this evening and managed to average 9.43 min miles, as opposed to 8.51 min miles while doing 11 on sunday which was supposed to be an LSR. I kept reminding myself of the reasons why we need to run those slowly (Thanks Men!) and it helped. 

The other problem was that I want to get the run finished and get home, I dont have all night!! 

03/07/2013 at 23:04

Also, just looking back over my running logs and I was 6 weeks into London training before I reached this sort of mileage! What am I doing, it's only week 3???! 

04/07/2013 at 00:14

Morning! late night 10 miler for me due to finishing work late...  My last half mara was done at near MP, not intentionally but that's how it ended up! Week 1 of (slightly amended) up to 55 miles plan went well, I love strides! There's a track near my house so I did them there, it felt great compared to the 8m of hard pavement that had preceeded it. LSR ended up v slow due to getting lost on a heather moor and then climbing through a quarry, so it wasn't all strictly running...

Edited: 04/07/2013 at 00:14
04/07/2013 at 07:24

SGB yes I am running Bewl, and yes its my first time running it. I generally only race on road, my trail running is limited to about 3-5 miles at most primarily as I have a habit of falling flat on my face. However I like the idea of trail running -  will just see how it goes on Sunday. I am thinking that I will try and maintain my PMP for the race, but if the footing is uneven then that may not happen, also the scorching weather we are expecting for Sunday may also make that impossible .

LFR well done on the slower miles, I find it sooo challenging to slow down am constantly looking at my Garmin, which has resulted in me falling flat on my face on tarmac - twice in the last 2 weeks .

Velloo I enjoy the strides as well, I love the feeling of just running fast.

Quads are feeling it today after hill session on Tuesday and stupid paced run yesterday - definately no running for me today.

04/07/2013 at 10:16

Interesting debate regarding fueling on long runs as a relative newbie to marathon training I will take a drink with me on runs over 12 miles and will throw in some jelly babies if it is over 16. 

I'm planning too run two HM this campaign one I'll race the other is going to be a MP run, might just turn that one into the 18 with 14 @MP

LT run last night 9 miles with a 2 mile wu and cd, did a lot better compared to my last LT run, managed to average 8:20mm for the LT section, happy days

04/07/2013 at 10:54

Morning all.

13mi for me today.

Just entered VLM next year via GFA.

Going to starting warming up - will be hot especially in south by end of weekend...so keep well hydrated people, and watch out for sun burn.

04/07/2013 at 15:22

Good shout 15W. I will slap the sun screen on if I'm on holiday or cricket watching,  but strangely i tend to forget when running. Re: VLM I deferred this years place so will be joining you hopefully.

Impromptu rest day today for me. Felt beat up after yesterday's run. Had a stretch in the gym instead. Think my body is thanking me for it.

Next week is week1 of my 15 week build - up to Amsterdam and will include 35mins@tmp on Monday, and a track session on Thursday. Here we go.......

04/07/2013 at 16:18

I'm in via GFA too. It will be my first marathon that isn't my local (Jersey).

Scary!

04/07/2013 at 16:51

I sweat off sunscreen when I'm running! 

I'm goosed today.  11 miles on Sunday, 8 m w/4@LT Tuesday, 14 LSR last night = one exhuasted LFR 

04/07/2013 at 17:11

My hip hurts - always get this when I start ramping up mileage in training. Often just on one side, sometimes in both. I wonder if it's a sympton of ITBS or something else...in the past it's usually goes when I do more core strengthening, a bit more self massage with a foam roller; and take a few days off.

04/07/2013 at 21:38

15w, sounds like you know how to cope with it.  Good luck and take care. 

04/07/2013 at 21:42

This might sound a bit stating-the-obvious, but have you ever considered doing the core work before it starts hurting?

04/07/2013 at 21:51

I've been thinking about HM races in prep, and how to run them.  My first thoughts were it would depend on how experienced the runner was but have changed my mind. I think it depends on what sort of shape the runner is in. Ie. If you were in great shape and supremely confident, then it wouldn't matter how you ran the half. But if there were doubts, then I think the sensible option would be mp. Then there would be no risk of disappointment. The bottom line is I think, whatever race you embark upon in marathon training,  be prepared for all possible outcomes, because the result may not be as per your potential due to tiredness,  and/or lack of focus.

05/07/2013 at 08:22

Morning all.

Wise words Brian.

Lit - I do some core work, but maybe not enough. I think I need to do more hip flexor stretching too...did some last night and feeling a lot less pain today.

6mi recovery for me today. Summer is here. How am I going to avoid a nice cold beer or 5 after work so I'm fresh for tomorrow's 18mi w/10@MP ?!

05/07/2013 at 08:32

Sounds good 15W. Don't avoid it

1,121 to 1,140 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.