P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

1,221 to 1,240 of 2,576 messages
11/07/2013 at 22:11

Where's your marathon, Debutant?

12/07/2013 at 07:35

Sounds like everyone is going well this week, I'm having a nightmare.

My legs were totally shot after last Sunday so I had an extra day off and now I'm full of cold too! Im going away at the weekend so I might just write the whole week off and start afresh on Mon. 

12/07/2013 at 07:52

Hi all, hope all the colds and niggles clear up soon. Tempo run done last night, couldn't get into a rhythm for the first mile but sort of settled into a pace for the last 3. Does anyone else find pacing difficult? I'm constanstly looking at my Garmin to make sure I'm not going too slow or fast. 

12/07/2013 at 09:10

Hi guys! Sorry, been AWOL for a bit - too much life and work stuff going on . Seems like the lurgy has kicked in big time on here. Here's healing vibes for those afflicted.

velloo: I learned pacing by not relying on my Garmin. I still get it wrong sometimes but the occasional "naked" run helped me loads in judging my pace better. I wouldn't have attempted it on my own volition but was forced to by complete Garmin failure in a key half marathon. So I ended up running that one by feel with a nice PB and a strong finish. Since then I've done more stuff Garmin-less or set the display to show something stupid like sunrise and then download and analyse your data afterwards   worth a try

P&D LT run for me today ... was dreading it (like I dread anything that has to do with tempo and is likely to hurt ) but I had a great run - 8.3 miles with 4 @ 6:52  no idea where they came from. I don't do miles starting with a 6 . That's quicker than any 10k pace I've ever done. Bet it was a one-off

12/07/2013 at 09:21

Morning all...

velloo - hopefully you should start getting used to how the different paces feel so don't need to look at garmin so much. Maybe practice on a few runs by not looking at garmin, then check afterwards what pace you were actually doing.

My cold is full on now. Lots of snot. Lovely. 10mi run for me today, will be sweaty and snotty. Lovely.

mark - I think you should just start afresh on Monday.

acp
12/07/2013 at 09:28

Thanks for yet another intimate insight into your bodily functions 15W!

Ladyfunrun/Lisa - mentioning the 'w' word was just my subtle ploy to cool everyone down...!

Nice LT session chickadee. Oh, to be able to run a mile in a time starting with '6'!

12/07/2013 at 13:01

Thanks for the pacing tips, will try some 'blind' runs. Chickadeee I actually ran my best HM when my garmin died on me too, was totally panicking about it before hand though. Good effort on the LT run, especially in this heat. Get well soon 15W, snot and sweat nice!

12/07/2013 at 13:45

Woo.. Feels like I might pick up a cold if I stay on this page for too long!
Well done Chickadee, impressive running.
Andrews148 - Chicago marathon for me hoping for 3:10

You?

12/07/2013 at 14:05

Hey - chick...well done on that tempo...you are getting faster! Sorry...but remind me again what marathon you're training for...and what your goal is this time round?

Just back from my 10mile run. It was hot and sweaty. Not much snot though...that seems to stop when I'm moving, it's when I stop that it becomes a problem. Sniff.

12/07/2013 at 15:38

no more marathons this year, 15W, just a decent stab at a half in October  and then Boston 2014, hopefully gunning for 3:15 (well, 3:14:59 )

Interesting snot theory there

12/07/2013 at 15:53

Hello Chick! doesn't sound like a one-off to me... sounds like a 1:30 half.

The rest of you can keep away from me with your filthy colds.

12/07/2013 at 18:14
Debutant wrote (see)

Andrews148 - Chicago marathon for me hoping for 3:10

You?

Mine's my local, Jersey. Third year of running it, hoping for 2:54. Then London in April as I have a GFA. Booked hotel yesterday. Expensive outing!

Edited: 12/07/2013 at 18:17
13/07/2013 at 08:54

Morning all. 4 or 5 miles easy for me today as due to swapping things round a bit have a 22mi long run tomorrow. Still full of cold but choosing to ignore it. Last really hot day here in Manchester...tomorrow should be a bit more sensible (23C). Hotter down south though.

13/07/2013 at 10:27

15w, noticed that with a cold. The run temporarily gets rid of the symptoms. Seems to clear the airways. Seem to remember having a really good training run (sub-lt I think) having taken a max strength lemsip type drink. Think I would've failed the random drug test. 

Rest day for me. Which is good since I'm stiff as a board. Long run with some company tomorrow afternoon. 

Enjoy the weekend everyone. 

acp
13/07/2013 at 10:59

Long run a bit of a struggle this morning. Was supposed to be 20 miles but got hopelessly lost and ended up doing too much walking, ran out time and only did 18 miles! 

Really enjoyed tail running at the parkrun though - the last person suffered a calf strain just after the start and walked the rest so it was more of a tail walking role!

13/07/2013 at 11:26

Morning all. Long run for me yesterday. I only managed 14 miles before knee pain forced me to hobble home. I cant quite work out if it is ITB related or due to the pounding the knees took in last weeks race. The pain seems to be coming from the same area. Plenty of stretches and exercises will hopefully sort it.

Enjoy the weather 

13/07/2013 at 18:26

5miles recovery today. It was really hot and the tide was high, so I stopped at 3miles for a swim. Sea's still a bit cold, but it was lovely and clear. Ran back home in wet shorts 

High tide is at 10:45 tomorrow, so I'll aim to finish my 15miler before then and go for a dip. 28°C tomorrow.

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 18:28
13/07/2013 at 19:10

4 recovery miles at 6am this morning due to wanting to get out before it was too hot - however even at that time it was still very warm.

12 miles LSR planned for tomorrow at similar time in the morning - temps for next week remain in the 30-32c bracket far too bloody hot for running in, think I may melt just a little 

14/07/2013 at 08:26

Morning all. Just off for my 22mi run. Wish me luck! Hope all ok out there...

14/07/2013 at 09:50

15w hope you have survived the heat ok?

andrew hope you enjoy your swim this morning - sounds like a lovely way to finish off a run and cool off.

acp - 18 miles and then a parkrun is either mad or admirable - can't decide which 

Carter really hope you get your knee sorted out - have you a foam roller to batter your ITB with? - sorry if I have missed this info

12 LSR miles ran before 8.30am, felt tough again but already very warm not sure that i could do too many more miles in that heat - who said training for a marathon was a good idea in the summer!

Keep cool and hydrated everyone 

1,221 to 1,240 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.