P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

1,281 to 1,300 of 2,576 messages
17/07/2013 at 09:09

Actually...27C I'll have you know. Ugh. That is a bit hot.

17/07/2013 at 09:09

I went out at 06:30 for my ML14 and it was already hot then! Glad it's done.  It's going to be Scorchio today.

Please take on lots of water and electrolytes!

17/07/2013 at 09:16

Morning everyone

Welcome to RK

I've stupidly agreed to a 7 mile fell race tonight with a hell of a lot of ascent.  Race starts at 7pm - still forecast to be 26 degrees then.  Crap.

Still having a nervous breakdown about this weekend's forthcoming 16miles with 10 at MP. 

Hope everyone is managing in the heat.  It's tough but give me heat and humidity over sheet ice and biting wind any day!

17/07/2013 at 09:38

I doesn't seem like long ago that I was running in a Helly Hansen Lifa balaclava!

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 09:38
17/07/2013 at 09:50

I don't mind running in the cold so much...it's ice/snow underfoot and strong winds I don't like.

It was a long winter though wasn't it?...still really cold in April for gawd's sake.

17/07/2013 at 10:07

Come on peeps, manup!

8x800  (60s) on track last night. 2.54 avg. Blinkin warm!

70mins in the lovely 26' Leeds sunshine today at lunchtime. Trying to drink 3 litres of juice per day. That's a few toilet stops! 

17/07/2013 at 13:01

Well, 15mi in 1hr50 done and dusted...especially the dusted bit. I was pretty tired by the end after yesterday's LT run and sunday's 22mi....but this will all make me stronger, right?!

17/07/2013 at 16:49

Chick you are lucky with your asthma - mine has started playing up with this heat. As a result I am not sure if I will get out for my recovery run later this evening as I am having trouble regulating my breathing just sitting still! But we know that recovery runs are non-essential, right 

26-27c perfectly Spring like, its currently 32.5c here 

I think that I may actually prefer running in the cold - and I quite enjoyed running in the snow apart from the day that I slipped and ended up with a small tear in my hamstring which then forced me to pull out of Brighton marathon. I hate, hate, hate running in the wind though.

Good luck on your race Tiny.

Nice running 15W

17/07/2013 at 18:15

Hot weather set to continue...infact for us in the NW going to get hotter. Quite some heatwave this becoming. Some interesting info nicked from another thread:

Galloway's Book on Running (1984) has a chart called "Adjusting race pace for heat".

Estimated temperature at finish...Slower than goal pace
55-60 degrees.....1%
60-65 degrees.....3%
65-70 degrees.....5%
70-75 degrees.....7%
75-80 degrees.....12%
80-85 degrees.....20%
above 85.....forget it, run for fun

Converting to proper units this would be:

13-16...1%

16-18...3%

18-21...5%

21-24...7%

24-27...12%

27-29...20%

According to this, ideal temperature is lower for longer distances:

http://runjeffcity.org/optimum-temperature/optimum-temperature-men.jpg

18/07/2013 at 08:18

Oh dear Tiny   hope you survived your fell race.

Lisa: a lot of people suffer with asthma in the spring/summer, so I guess I'm very lucky. It's a different story in Jan/Feb though   I just wish it could be 10 or 12 degrees every morning when I'm out for my run

Interesting stats there 15W   so my 11 miler this morning (av. pace 7:59) was in fact 5% quicker  as it was 20 degrees out there with 93% humidity.

18/07/2013 at 08:23

Correct...and my long run on the weekend was infact a 22mi mp run, and my LT run was a VO2 max session. All good.

7mi easy run for me today...might run less depending on how legs feel.

18/07/2013 at 08:26

Oh yes, and I zoomed around my 5(ish) mile race yesterday at 3k pace. 

18/07/2013 at 10:13

I'm not sure whether those stats are good news or bad news....

At my current pace in this heat I'll be smashin the 3 hour barrier in my October marathon.... on the other hand my 11k hilly race on Saturday evening in 30c+ heat will be at a snails pace.

13k with 10x100 strides today... little bit cooler this morning but legs aching.... couple of days off now (sorry, taper) before my race.

18/07/2013 at 11:13

Well I survived.......just.  That was the most brutal and hardcore fell race I've ever done.  I felt like I was on the Krypton Factor and was just waiting for Gordon Burns to jump out.

It started with knee high grass on a single track (so chest-high grass for me).  The grass on either side of the narrow track was so overgrown you couldn't see the ground so you kind of just had to run blind and hope for the best.  Saw everyone around me constantly falling over and it was horrendous on the ankles. 

THen we were out onto open moorland aka welcome to divot hell.  Horrible tussocks and holes everywhere.  Managed to fall, put out my arms to save my face, did a press up and got back up again!  I didn't care about finish time, just wanted to get to the end in one piece.  A few of my friends took some nasty tumbles and a clubmate had a horrible fall onto a huge rock and badly grazed her hip.  It was a war of attrition.  I have never been so happy to see a finish line in all my life.  But then the midges attacked us as we were cheering everyone in.

It was really well organised and flagged but it was just too hardcore for me.  Average heart rate 184 - not good.  The hills were fine and I ran them all no problem but the terrain was just far too technical for me.  Could have pushed it a bit more but just wasn't worth snapping an ankle.  Finished in 1hr 20mins.  Very happy to be getting back to tarmac and marathon training!

18/07/2013 at 11:27

Crikey Tiny, rather you than me! That sounds brutal even without the hot weather. 

18/07/2013 at 13:33

Cripes Tiny! Well done!. I'm not ever sure what a tussock or a divot is. I do know what a hole is though. And a rock.

7 very slow miles done at lunchtime.

18/07/2013 at 20:50

Tiny glad you survived the race, but that sounds like too much like hard work in the summer heat.

Well I have actually stuck to the plan for a change and completed my 11 mile run pretty hard work initially as was still very hot to begin with but overall dare I say enjoyable.

19/07/2013 at 01:52
Tiny, I feel your pain as my fell league season is in full flow and I have many a bruise/gorse scratch/fall down rabbit hole to show for it. You're lucky to have a fully flagged route - no such luxury over here in Manx land, but the navigation (aka getting lost) adds to the fun. I think! And to be fair, you cant get completely 'lost' here as you'll eventually reach a road or something familiar, unlike the mainland where I think I would probably end up at John O Groats Well done though, not the easiest of things on a hot summer evening.

My Mountain Marathon training is coming along nicely, I'm pretty much following the P&D plan (minus the recovery runs - shame on me) until mid August and then it will turn to more fell based training but keeping the long road runs (race at end of September).

Glad everyone is ticking along nicely. Some great weather we're having
19/07/2013 at 08:34

Morning all.

13mi for me today. Going to get up to 28C here in Manchester. Lovely.

19/07/2013 at 09:18

Morning.

Going to be a hot one alright. Yesterday was 8M with 4M tempo. Tempo came out as 6.40 pace, which is slower than target mp! Can't blame the heat either cos the hr didnt go anywhere. Legs were tired, didn't feel like they'd recovred from Tuesdays track session. 

Onwards and downwards.

1,281 to 1,300 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.