P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

1,461 to 1,480 of 2,576 messages
29/07/2013 at 12:48

Thanks (again) Lit, just panicking that I won't have enough 20milers completed before marathon day. Gosh this marathon training and planning takes over your life!

acp
29/07/2013 at 13:46

I was thinking about entering the South Cheshire 20 on 15th Sept and using it as a long training run - no racing! Is this too close to marathon day?

29/07/2013 at 14:05

Hello all.  Anyone going for an upto 55 miles for 27 Oct?  Starts next week I believe.  I did 2:55 off not too much training at London this year.  Monthly run miles below.

Jan 128

Feb 114

Mar 81

Apr 77

Just did the Outlaw in 11:37 (4:15 marathon) and now focusing on the US Marine Corps Marathon in Washington.  I haven't really got a goal though yet.  Don't think i'm going to race a half either in preparation as I want to take it "easy".

Edited: 29/07/2013 at 14:06
29/07/2013 at 14:25

acp - I am entered for the South Cheshire 20.  I'm definitely not racing it though, will probably do something along the lines of first 5 miles warm-up and then next 15 at MP.  Might actually do less MP miles than that as it is a very hilly course!

29/07/2013 at 15:25

Start of week 6/18 for me today.... a recovery week 

Temperature a pleasant 20c, nice breeze and light rain... it was beautiful out there.

I must admit I've had some crap runs in the last few weeks in the heat, and was beginning to have my doubts, but today's run was a dream... ok, only 13k but I felt like Mo Farah effortlessly floating along, I was having to rein myself in... I was looking at my km splits and thinking how incredibly easy it felt.

I'll stick that one in the memory bank for when it starts going pear-shaped again.

Edited: 29/07/2013 at 15:25
acp
29/07/2013 at 19:56

Tiny - I wasn't planning on doing any of it at MP. I would have thought it was too close to marathon day to do that - anyone care to contradict me....?!

29/07/2013 at 20:09

Fab run Mark, well done!

acp - my mara isn't until 20th October so it's a good 5 weeks before race day. Forgive me but I've forgotten which one you're doing?  I think some MP miles will be fine 5 weeks out.  I certainly wouldn't race it though.  My schedule actually calls for 18miles with 14 at marathon pace anyway so I figured it's just easier and a bit more fun to do it as part of a race....just so long as I don't get carried away.  Also a great chance for a 'dress rehearsal' and to practice the nutrition I'll be using on race day but without getting too knackered.  I think that'd be such a confidence booster for me being a marathon newbie.

30/07/2013 at 10:02

nice one, Mark  Still waiting for that to happen to me

30/07/2013 at 10:09

Mark - Nice one, well done.  I have also found it really difficult in the heat as I am still trying to get to a good fitness level and am only on Week 8 of my training plan.  Last week seemed to be a lot better.

Onwards and upwards!

acp
30/07/2013 at 10:33

Sorry Tiny, I didn't realise the date of your marathon is 2 weeks after mine! I'm doing Chester and I have a half planned 5 weeks before and was going to run a warmup of 5 miles and then run the actual half at MP which would be pretty much the same plan as yourself.

So chuffed with myself today. Alarm was due to get me up at 4.20am but I woke up just before it went off and it was pitch black outside and I thought 'no way, I'll get up at 5am and run 8 miles instead of 11'. But then while I was out I realised that as long I was back at home by 7am so my husband could go to work I would still have enough time to do the extra 3 miles on the treadmill so I ended up doing the whole 11 miles as originally planned!

Mark, I'm still waiting to 'float effortlessly' too - sounds great though!

30/07/2013 at 10:55

I had to google what 'float effortlessly' means and can confirm I have yet to experience this !

1.5 miles @ 12:15 for me last night with the missus on her C25K training. I'm getting a few miles in on my bike going to and from work this week so hopefully the knee will recover for next week.

30/07/2013 at 11:46

acp... it's great when you can "sneak in" a good session before anyone else is awake.... you have the whole day ahead with no guilt... just a smug self-satisfaction.

carter... enjoy  the cycling but pay attention to the knee... if you start to feel some niggling... could be the saddle height.

30/07/2013 at 13:50
carterusm wrote (see)

I had to google what 'float effortlessly' means and can confirm I have yet to experience this !

Love the googling!

Actually looking forward to running in the rain later - never thought I would ever say that 

30/07/2013 at 15:21

Hello. Back in Manchester now. Yesterday's 7mi and today's 9mi were done along the coast in SE Kent again. Nice running by the sea...except when it's windy.

30/07/2013 at 15:29

Did you swim, 15W? I was in Whitstable at the weekend and had a lovely swim in the sea.

30/07/2013 at 15:43

I paddled. That was enough.

30/07/2013 at 22:22

Does paddling count as cross training?

acp getting up that early is amazing, wish I could do it but I'm not a morning person.

Recovery week for me, and I'm very glad of it. Had a 7m trail race on Sunday and the 1st 5 weeks of training has made me much stronger, the distance and hills felt comfortable. My speed is rather lacking but then I usually struggle with multi-terrain. 

carter hope the knee settles down soon, fingers crossed for you.

Edited: 30/07/2013 at 22:23
31/07/2013 at 09:43

Just dropped partner and daughter at the airport as they are off to Japan for 3 weeks leaving me home alone . I do have the dog to keep me company though . .

15mi for me today. Bit wet here at the moment.

31/07/2013 at 10:36

13k recovery run for me today..... unfortunately had to give Mo Farah his body back and I think I got Phil Mitchell's in return.

31/07/2013 at 11:11

well done acp  - early morning running rocks

Lisa: I usually love running in the rain but this morning's deluge washed a contact lense out of my eye and I could no longer see where I was going . Sorry attempt at my LT sesh but cut it short after 3 miles  felt like too much hard work. Anyway, ran partially blind for 10 miles all in all

Ouch, Mark.

carterusm wrote (see)

LOL! Lovin' this, carter

1,461 to 1,480 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.