P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

141 to 160 of 2,576 messages
02/05/2013 at 22:23

Agreed, Craig about Marathon paced runs. When I first started P+D, I didn't think I'd cope with them but I did and they really bolstered my confidence..especially the longer ones.

PS, I like crossing thinks off the plan too...oh and writing down my runs in a diary, including how I felt blah blah...deffo OCD/obsessed .

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 22:43
03/05/2013 at 06:21

I'm the same, I would be lost without my running diary.

03/05/2013 at 06:52

Thats also what I like about P&D the MP runs I am really hoping that this prevents me from going out too fast and then fading fast. 

Ooh a running diary......

03/05/2013 at 08:34

Good Morning All,

The sun is shining, the birds are singing and my P&D has just arrived.

I thought that the book was more for the experienced runners and after my one dreadful marathon I had disillusions of grandeur that I could so much better. It's nice to see that there are a group of 4h+ but I'm sure following the training plan we should all be sub 4h by the Autumn.

Did Paris in 4h43, had leg cramps. Doing Orleans 17th Nov.  My HM is 1h48. Hindsight has told me that I need to look after my legs, stretching and recovery runs.  Although I did 5 x 20 milers during my preparation, I incorporated too many hills and not enough MP.  Also I have to work on my technique and my core muscles.  As you can see the book covers most of my defaults.

I don't know what I can offer this thread and the book appears self explanatory so if it's just wishing each other luck and taking the journey together.

03/05/2013 at 09:30

PC91 - this plan will give you the best chance of going sub 4. I agree re focusing on long runs and running alone can bite you on the arse, it has me, twice.  I need to do a shed load more strength and core training and no point me hitting out 50 mile weeks, week in, week out, until I sort that out. 

DM8
03/05/2013 at 09:33

I also find a running diary really useful. Especially when I get ill or injured and I can look back and try and learn from previous ailments and see if any patterns of over use or over training emerge. I also think that using a site like Garmin Connect or Strava is invaluable so that you can analyse the progress you are (hopefully) making and it can re-assure you that things are going in the right direction.

03/05/2013 at 10:17

I am an obsessive too. I love my diary. In a most satisfy turn of events, the last entry in mine was VLM - a PB and then the first entry in my new one is a PB.

03/05/2013 at 11:22

I have a pretty brilliant P&D spreadsheet that prepopulates the programme with your training times and allows you to insert comments. It also tells you what time you should be doing sessions in and compares them against actual on a daily and weekly basis. If anyone wants a copy PM me.

03/05/2013 at 12:54

Are you bloody joking Men?    That's anal that is!! 

03/05/2013 at 13:18

I feel that I should add that  it is so well put together that it can clearly not be done by a luddite such as myself. I aint sure who don it, or if it has been done by P&D but it is a proper peice of kit rather than a DIY jobby. I picked it up from the sub 3:15 thread (I think) It is particularly useful for me as i tend to mess around with the schedule quite liberally and it is a doddle on this sheet.

03/05/2013 at 14:25

I use Fetch it does everything for you

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/userprofile.php

03/05/2013 at 15:04

oh wow, a new thread! It took only a week for me to realise. D'uh!!! To be fair, I haven't been online much due to work/life constraints

Great to see new faces on here    Not sure I'm allowed to post as I'm not doing an autumn marathon this year

I've been keeping an Excel spreadsheet since 2008 when I started running . I just love poring over old data comparing them and analysing each split of a recent race. Yes, I am pathetic and no, I have no life . I also like Garmin Connect to show me that my running has improved

03/05/2013 at 16:04

Chick - I'm not running in the autumn either but I've muscled in anyway.

03/05/2013 at 16:44

Same as Fiona - I've got my big fell race to get out of of the way in September. I'm going to vaguely follow a P+D type plan to help me with that and hopefully - if my legs aren't too bolloxed afterwards - I can do an autumn road marathon somewhere.

So Chick, we can all muscle in 

03/05/2013 at 16:59

Shazmo when you say "vaguely" follow the plan, which sessions will you do/ leave out ?

03/05/2013 at 17:14

Errrrm, all of them Nurse, as I will mostly be running up and down very big hills and getting incredibly muddy 

No, seriously, I intend to do a lot of the plan as it will help with my overall fitness and keep me at a certain level so I can pick the road running back up once my fell season is over. 

03/05/2013 at 17:20

So Shazmo you aren't targeting an Autumn marathon then ?

03/05/2013 at 17:25
Mennania wrote (see)

I have a pretty brilliant P&D spreadsheet that prepopulates the programme with your training times and allows you to insert comments. It also tells you what time you should be doing sessions in and compares them against actual on a daily and weekly basis. If anyone wants a copy PM me.

HeOw agree it's anal but I have got to get myself a copy of this, will pm you Men thanks 

PC91 enjoy the read. I am one of the 'slower' runners on this thread so it will be good to have some others aiming for a sub 4 along for the ride.

03/05/2013 at 17:25

I think the thread IS the training diary. The kind of training diary that knows what session you have scheduled and mercilessly bullies you if you don't get round to it.

03/05/2013 at 18:04

Those who have asked should have mail by now.

NN - this is P&D specific and ist a digital version of the schedules at the back of the book which you can adjust, emonitor and reorder etc. I actually used this instead of the book for VLM. Its worth having a look at if you plan on following P&D. Pretty useless if you are doing something else

HeOw - Is delamere park run flat or what?

141 to 160 of 2,576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.