P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

4,321 to 4,340 of 7,753 messages
12/03/2014 at 14:09

my one foray into beetroot juice was when i had not heard of beet it shots. I therefore got up at 6.30 to get circa 2 litres down me before a 9am 10k. I strongly detest beetroot so it wasnt a pleasant hour. If it does work I think I would rather just run slower!!

12/03/2014 at 14:10
Thanks Menn. Sounds worth a go, I'm definitely not an elite, and I quite like beetroot.
12/03/2014 at 14:12

SIS also do nitrate gels that work on same principle, they made me gag though, but you could try if you don't like beetroot. On the other hand they might all just be a waste of time and money.

12/03/2014 at 15:20

did my 4*1200m at lunchtime round victoria park. nice and warm. covered in sweat, and had a bit of thigh chafe (nice). intervals were pretty much bang on 5k PB pace, but didn't feel very fast. I felt sluggish and breathing was laboured. Calf was stiff but didn't really hurt when i was running. Just feel a bit knackered. It's around this point in marathon training when I wonder why I'm bothering. pfffffft.

12/03/2014 at 15:30

AG - It takes you that long to wonder why you are botering - Mine starts in week 1 or 2!!!

Well done though - another training sess knocked on the head!

12/03/2014 at 16:07

Nice speedwork guys!

Madbee wrote (see)
Ok, I'll bite... What do beet shots do? Is my marathon doomed because I have never even heard of them let alone tried one? ( or is it in fact doomed because I missed my 6m recovery with strides (???) yesterday?)

they make your pee purple and give you the shits (at least that's what happened to me) - I won't touch them with a barge pole now

12/03/2014 at 16:17

they made my poo purple, which was pretty cool.

12/03/2014 at 16:23
Well done AG. May have felt sluggish but if you're hitting the pace without it feeling fast you must be doing something right.

Chick, hmm, you haven't sold them to me there... 15w, you may or may not have done :-/

I'm having a debate with myself over what to do with my long run this week. I'm intending to repeat this week (ish) as I have a couple to play with and I'll be missing a couple of shorter runs due to work and parental duties, so thought I'd give it a more accurate go next week. Does it sound feasible to do 16 with 12 at mp two weeks running, or should I just go for a long slow one (16-18 probably) this week and save the mp for my second attempt?
Edited: 12/03/2014 at 16:24
12/03/2014 at 16:26

the latter.

12/03/2014 at 16:30

The spirit of the schedule would be to alternate between long and mp run. I would do latter. 

12/03/2014 at 16:52
Good. That's what I wanted to hear!
12/03/2014 at 17:30
Madbee wrote (see)
Well done AG. May have felt sluggish but if you're hitting the pace without it feeling fast you must be doing something right.

Cheers Madbee, that's what i wanted to hear too

Although I said it didn't feel fast, I didn't mean to imply it didn't feel tough. It just felt like I was slogging myself and not really getting anywhere. But like you say, the fact that I was hitting the pace despite this is encouraging I guess. All about perspective. I have a tendency to focus on what i'm not doing rather than what I'm doing. e.g. the training i've not done for the marathon in 3 weeks, rather than all the training I have done to prepare myself for it. I would benefit from learning to accentuate the positive.

12/03/2014 at 19:36

Definitely can't keep up with this thread right now!  

Up at 4:45am and started my run at 5:00am to get my 11m MLR done before breakfast.   My heart rate has noticeably dropped over the last couple of weeks. Although, on this occasion it might have been 'cos I was still comatose for half the run.

12/03/2014 at 20:01

Good grief. That is hardcore Ten. Well done. Bet you're tired now though?!

12/03/2014 at 20:49

Good work Ten. 

11.25 miles tonight. Legs still feel heavy from weekend, though now feel better for the run. Oddly, much like Sunday, I completely crashed at mile 8. Feel devoid of energy and really sick now. Only thing I can think is I drank a bucket full of tea today as work was dead so maybe that's messing with me. 

12/03/2014 at 21:10

4.45am? *Doffs cap to Ten.

12/03/2014 at 21:20

I binned my run tonight so I can do it on the towpath in the morning. Certainly shan't be a 4:45 start, that's dedication Ten! 

I was running my V02's at around 7:20 pace which is probably recovery rate for most of you! but after doing the 10k in 7:30/7:40 pace I think I need to push a bit harder....what joy! Here's hoping I can do an AG and still achieve a quicker pace even if it's a bit of a battle. Damn those locks on the canal! 

Found out today that the chap that was murdered was the ex husband of a former colleague. All very Unsettling. Poor family. 

12/03/2014 at 21:21

Ooooh and my race number arrived, pen c, sounds like a not too shabby start pen?! 

12/03/2014 at 21:35

ladyfun ... if you take 15s off your 10K pace, you'll be pretty close to 5KP, so probably okay staying at 7:20/m. I've been using the section of road beside the power plant (between Armley & Kirkstall) that runs parallel to the towpath for my intervals .... flat, smooth & sheltered.

Well done Ten! Makes my 6am Sunday starts seem lazy. My HR is always low on those early runs.

I did my 5.4 miles at MP today ... no idea why.

12/03/2014 at 21:42
Tenjiso I know this is ridiculously late but bloody well done on that half mara. Only just noticed it reading back. I love sleeping so respect for the 4:45am start! Just take care of yourself. ..

Sort of raced today, sort of used it as 10 mile tempo and as only entrant in my category, was victor. Bonza
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.