P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

501 to 520 of 9,180 messages
08/12/2013 at 12:11

Hi Nose,

The symptoms started on the last practice race at the beginning of the taper/last week of the third section.  At first seemed just a twinge and I thought would go as I was in taper but it didn't.  Got quite worse in the week before the race. As I was warming up in the enclosure I had sharp stabbing pains in my shin.  Did the race of course but was in pain towards the end.  The adrenalin and the heightened level of fitness because of all the training enabled me to complete.

I think the fast repeats in the last section contributed rather than the total quantum of mileage. The consultant I am seeing said that over 40s heal a lot slower than youngsters and the faster you go the harder the impact/damage.  If I am ever in a fit state to do a marathon again then I will avoid the fast repeats.

08/12/2013 at 13:04

Xyloid - no, I don't think so. They'd be a bugger to carry, too.

Hi Surrey Runner, sorry to hear you're still injured. I always think similar when I see those lower-mileage plans that are practically all fast-paced quality runs, e.g. the FIRST plans - some people say they're going to do them to avoid injury but to me it looks like keeping in all the riskiest bits and not the lower-risk easy running. Hope things improve soon now you're seeing someone who sounds like he knows what he's doing.

I wonder if Rachel is still lost in the park?

08/12/2013 at 13:17

Not lost, just got back. I managed to stick to my pre-planned route with only one need to check the map!  And avoided getting in the middle of a bunch of Santas as well

The run went well, 16 miles in 2:52. Last mile was pretty horrible, the legs were definitely wondering why I was running longer than ever done before. The other issue was keeping it slow enough, ended up at 10sec/mile faster than planned, (but still within target range for the run).  Realised I've just run that at a faster pace than my first ever 10k race  Then again, couldn't manage a marathon at an even faster pace currently, but that's what the next 4 months training will do!

08/12/2013 at 13:33

Surrey Runner completely agree with what you said about the faster paced stuff as I too managed to get a stress fracture whilst training for Chester Marathon back in July -  I am *cough* 39 and as a woman this is also increases the risk.

I have been back running since beginning of October, although I am still getting some irritation around my tibia and calf but I am taking it slowly. I haven't been back to my running club since the injury and feel that I have learnt the hard way that I can't do both endurance and speed work. Fingers crossed that I stay injury free this time, and I really hope that you get back out there once you have fully recovered.

Well done Rachel for completing the run and not getting lost en-route 

08/12/2013 at 14:21

Hello.

Well done Rachel.

Did the Stockport10 this morning. Don't think I got a PB but was pretty close...61.40 says the garmin. Was doing ok for first 5 miles running at about 6min/mi, but then hit this big hill at mile 5 which totally buggered me and I never really recovered. There was another meaty hill in the last mile which pretty much finished me off. I'm no good with hills as most of my running routes are fairly flat. Anyway, nice little race that, and top commentary by Tony Audenshaw

08/12/2013 at 14:26

Yes but what was in the goody bag?

08/12/2013 at 14:50

Oooh. I haven't looked!

08/12/2013 at 14:51

Nice running 15W

A fairly steady 14 before work today (2pm start)

First double figures run that wasn't a race since the marathon in September!

08/12/2013 at 14:57

porridge, crisps, sweets, a candle, a notepad, a bouncy ball, a doctor who sticker, some shampoo, a silly stockport10 order of service, some ads. No worm.

08/12/2013 at 15:03

That's a pretty interesting goody bag. I assume it's a smelly candle too. And loving the DW sticker, but no idea why it's there!

08/12/2013 at 21:00

I was doing the same race as 15W and had a great one. Was aiming for 70 mins and got 68:15 so very happy with that. It is amazing how much easier HMP feels in a race. Did my normal tactic of starting of steady and then picking off runners one by one.

The goody bag was definitely on the eclectic side. And no medal! A great event though and nice to finally feel some benefit from the marathon training in the summer.

08/12/2013 at 21:52

Nice work Ramjet. 

I find that HMP in a training run is minimum 10 secs a mile slower for the same perceived effort. Something strange happens when you pin a number to your chest.

08/12/2013 at 22:24

Thanks for your thoughts Surrey. 

I did 12/55 last time.... but modified it, taking out a bit of speed work.   This time I'm nominally on 18/55 but again I'm using P&D as a good guide and inspiration, but will be sensible... as my 40th birthday is a distant memory! 

I'm generally lucky with injuries, but I have two Achilles heels...   one at the end of each leg.  Fortunately, they're both healthy.  But if there is ever any complaints from my legs, it is a tendency to minor shin splints.  So I am on the lookout.

08/12/2013 at 23:26

Guys, can I take us back a few weeks to tune up races. I have decided agasinsdt a 20 miler. I have a flat ten k on march. I have two relatively local half's on 9th and 23rd. Both are OK courses but the 23rd is easily more a pb course.

I am just worried 23rd is a bit close to race day to go balls out on a half??

09/12/2013 at 07:59

DT - I'd say it's borderline. You'll be at your most tired and I think it could reduce the effectiveness of the taper. All depends on how well you recover really. May be do it at MP with the last 3 at HMP?? Or just find a 10k and blast that all out with no worries

09/12/2013 at 11:01

To everyone starting 18 week plans today for the 13th April - good luck! 

I hope your training goes well. Let's do this marathon thing!

09/12/2013 at 11:30

Day 1 of training. do nothing!  Those are the training days I like.

Although i'm actually going to try and fit in a light upper body weights session as recovery from yesterday

09/12/2013 at 11:46

I have a bit of DOMS going on - so will be an easy run for me today. Also - feeling a bit drained and knackered...I always like to have one beer too many after a race for some reason.

09/12/2013 at 12:16

Finished my first week (of 18) by jogging home from work on Friday night. 12.5 miles, felt REALLY sluggish. didn't get into the zone at all.

Weekend was up in Manchester with the missus, didn't run at all Saturday or Sunday.

Started week 2 with an 8mile jog to work this morning. Easy and relaxed, felt pretty good. Got a bit busy with pedestrians as I got into town, but pace was bang on "easy" as planned, so can't complain. Plus I love having my run done early in the day, means i don't spend the day thinking about it, or whether i'm going to squeeze it in at lunch, or run home after work,or miss it all together if work goes tits up. So far so good, with week 2. 10mile GA run on Wed, then 4mi recovery on Thursday and i've not decided whether to do the 13mi long run on Friday night after work, or Sunday morning after I drop my missus off at work. it'd be nice to get it completed before the weekend, but I think i will probably enjoy it more on Sunday morning, plus not be knackered at the end of a day at work.

09/12/2013 at 12:57

I'm having a horrendous time right now, but I'm still hoping that I'll ride out the storm and stick with P&D (without some severe shuffling around). I have to do my outdoor runs when the kids are at school, as there is nobody to keep an eye on them at other times. Anyway... best not dwell on problems.

This morning I ran the first scheduled run: 8m with 4m @ LT pace. My LT pace is 8:24 @ half-marathon pace, but in order to push my heart rate up further (my range is 151bpm - 165bpm), I find it's better to aim for 15K pace which is 7:56. I knew it would be tough, after trying a couple of 2m LT intervals last week.

I didn't quite make 15k pace, but am happy with the result. Very uncomfortable run at times, but so happy to finish it

Detail for the stats whores amongst us.....

Warm up 2m @ 10:10 average pace (avg. H/R 133bpm)

Threshold 4m @ 7:59 average pace (avg. H/R 162bpm → 86%HRR)

Cool Down 2m @ 10:02 average pace (avg. H/R 153bpm)

That'll do nicely for a start to the program.

Good luck everyone. I hope I'll get back to being an active contributor in the forum sometime soon!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.