P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

7,901 to 7,912 of 7,912 messages
Today at 00:04

No.... But if it's over the jump course I recommend skipping it  

Today at 00:05

Lit managed 60th in age group so happy with that and 2:59 for a 53 year old is ok  if only I could turn back the clock to my 30's

15 West, no issues with the stomach at all this year, last year was the first and last time I have ever had that type of problem and I have put it down to something I had eaten on the night before. This thread still moves at sub 3hour pace 

Today at 00:25

booktrunk wrote (see)

No.... But if it's over the jump course I recommend skipping it  

That would make one hell of a Steeplechase race 

Edited: 25/04/2014 at 00:29
Today at 07:26
No Pain wrote (see)

. This thread still moves at sub 3hour pace 

Well, I will make the most of that, because I suspect it's the only time I will ever move at sub 3 pace!  Well done on your result No Pain, brilliant to get in the top 100 in your cat.!

My last proper very long run today (check out my excellent descriptive English)- going to go out aiming to do 22 but cut off at 20 if I'm shit - doesn't seem any point pushing the extra 2 if it's only for psychological gain - better to have a decent 20 than a painful 22 I think.

Today at 08:17
Madbee wrote (see)

My last proper very long run today (check out my excellent descriptive English)- going to go out aiming to do 22 but cut off at 20 if I'm shit - doesn't seem any point pushing the extra 2 if it's only for psychological gain - better to have a decent 20 than a painful 22 I think.

Madbee - I keep saying that, which means you know you are only going to do 20  - Better still I get to say 19.51 and then I can round up to 20 . (Shame I cant round a marathon down to 26 )

Today at 08:26
Fergster wrote (see)

Andrews148 and waste your current fitness level?! You're missing a trick if you don't race again soon good sir.

There's a half I'd like to do on June 8th, as I deferred from last year. Hopefully I'll have recovered from London and managed to do a bit of speedwork in time for that.

I've done every run of the 55-70 recovery mesocycle and I am starting to see a little energy creeping back, but it's slow progress. As it should be, I suppose.

Today at 09:05
andrews148 wrote (see)

I've done every run of the 55-70 recovery mesocycle and I am starting to see a little energy creeping back, but it's slow progress. As it should be, I suppose.

I would have been dissapointed in anything else andrews! Fergy is right, you have put too much hard work in not to race again soon. Do it for the P&D gang!

Today at 09:18

RE: Marathon doubles ... yep, I understand the flawed logic in doing two races 3 weeks apart. It'll be something of an experiment and having the 2nd race may just take a bit of pressure off the first. I also think that a 3 week taper does not do me too much good - I always seem to perform worse on race day compared with training - so I'd be doing the first race on a minimal taper and then using the 3 weeks between the races to recover/"taper" for the second. The other benefit is that I'm often ill in October (I work in a Uni and that's when all the students arrive and infect everything that moves - I missed Chester in 2012) so having a back-up race is good.

Today at 09:23

the last 2 years i have done doubles in spring. Using first one as a training run (no taper or carb load, just a long run at controlled pace) and 2nd as a race. Might try 3 next spring. 3-4 months training is too much for 1 race in my opinion. I'm so glad I did barcelona, which I actually almost enjoyed. I have to say I would not race more than 1 in a 3 month period

Today at 09:43

Careful Wenty - you don't want to start actually enjoying any of this!

Today at 09:48

Dont worry Westy no fear of that - although bizarre as I'm sort of missing not running!

Q: How can you not like doing something then miss it when you don't do it? Might try a gentle run this weekend

Today at 09:51

Wenty - although it does seem to be a lot of training for one race i prefer to think of it as a long term investment and one day those campaigns will accumulate and deliver your sub-3 ( as well as quicker times at other distances ) . Don't give up on it, i haven't and i think i'm a bit older than you. You also have the likes of NP doing it at 53 ( after a nightmare London last year and in his own words being close to packing in running) and then there's parkrunfan now knocking sub-3's out with apparent ease and in quick succession.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7,901 to 7,912 of 7,912 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.