P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

8,201 to 8,220 of 9,180 messages
30/04/2014 at 21:14

Lit is a perfect example of why I'm looking beyond the marathon.  I'll never be able to smash out a single 6 minute miles....ever!  I love the idea of backing off the intensity but covering more ground.  Last night I dreamt I won it!!! 

NSGNR - Glad you'll mend! Are you doing York? 

30/04/2014 at 21:58

But LFR, there are a lot of people in ultras who go faster than you or I will ever manage at that distance as well!  I'm not sure I would find it less dispiriting if the ultra equivalent of Lit was beating me by 7 hours rather than 15 minutes...

30/04/2014 at 22:02

I've been lapped on a 15m course that you have to run 3 and a bit times.

Edited: 30/04/2014 at 22:02
30/04/2014 at 22:18
I've not done one yet but I'd like to do an ultra one day. I imagine the ratio of sense of accomplishment / concern about time would be weighted to the former. If cost and time were not an issue it would have to be comrades, but for those reasons country to capital looks more likely - back home in time for tea (possibly).
In other news my works flexi credit is in double figures with reduced lunchtime runs - I'll soon put that right
30/04/2014 at 23:34

I have to say I have no interest in ultras. However three years ago half's were bonkers, 18 months ago marathons were mental so who knows!

U

Yes for me mile 24 is notable because I thought I smashed out a great mile, until Lit pointed out the obvious! 

So tonight I had my first post marathon lads champions league beer and curry night. It was quite beautiful not sat there yawning my arse off due the fatigue of marathon training! 

30/04/2014 at 23:44

There's still plenty of marathon goals to be reached before even considering an ultra for me. Wouldn't mind pacing a marathon next year. After I've got my times down of course 

There is definitely something to be said for having a 'catered run' when the city is closed for you and very nice people ply you with food and drink for the morning. As opposed to being out in the wilderness with no-one to hear you scream...

01/05/2014 at 09:23

Some would argue that is exactly the appeal of ultras Fergster.

How's it going Fergster and Booktrunk? Feeling rested and raring to go? Or full of taper madness symptoms?

01/05/2014 at 09:41

Taper Madness.

Still weak from chest infection, but improving daily, really annoyed of course that I got a chest infection at a rather inconvenient time. Looking forward to a nice walk with OH and dog on Saturday, and a really lazy Sunday, before the race Monday.  I'm still a bit worried about the chest, but nothing i can do just relax and hope i keep feeling better daily.  Will start the race and see what happens, if I cannot keep up it's just going to turn into a LSR, it will be a nice day out whatever happens.  (I'm pretending that i've not spent 4 months training for this, just for a damn infection to ruin it all right at the last minute).

01/05/2014 at 09:52

BT - a friend from my club spent 4 months training for London only to have to defer it two days before due to a chest infection. Of course she was gutted, but she knew she couldn't do it in the end. So now she's getting better and she's moved on to her next race targets, with huge base mileage and not needing a marathon recovery phase.

If you really are recovered enough to have a decent go at the marathon on Monday that is brilliant, but if not, I hope you will be really honest with yourself - a 26.2-mile LSR will still take a lot out of you (and not make the best use of your training) and if you skip it you will be able to capitalise much more on all that training fitness for your ultras (rather than needing to recover).

01/05/2014 at 10:06

Thanks lit. 

I'm trying to be sensible. Just going to have to wait and see. Cannot defer the place or get money back, so no point in really worrying about it now, all I can do is wait and see how i feel Sunday.

01/05/2014 at 10:51

When you say weak from chest infection, you mean you still have the chest infection, tightness in chest, coughing etc? Or weak as in recovering and you have less energy, but chest is fine? I would definitely not run on monday if chest still bad. Any other marathons you coming up you could do just incase?

01/05/2014 at 10:57
Genghis Khan wrote (see)

But LFR, there are a lot of people in ultras who go faster than you or I will ever manage at that distance as well!  I'm not sure I would find it less dispiriting if the ultra equivalent of Lit was beating me by 7 hours rather than 15 minutes...

I know, but it's new territory and I'm secretly looking forward to backing off the intensity! 

Running is always a race against yourself anyway (I find) 

01/05/2014 at 11:05

BT - I would run if I was half dead, (and have done before and paid a price). Its very irresponsible and stupid but then thats me all over.

Obviously I will join the sensible gang and say if you are not ok dont run. But hope you get better in time and smash it!

01/05/2014 at 11:13
15West wrote (see)

Some would argue that is exactly the appeal of ultras Fergster.

How's it going Fergster and Booktrunk? Feeling rested and raring to go? Or full of taper madness symptoms?

I think I'm over the worst of the taper madness. Race pace decided. Feeling rested and well slept. Still managing to avoid colds and injury (crosses fingers). Carb loading starts tomorrow. Raring to go.

I'll review the course again tonight to split it up into manageable chunks based on 'difficulty'. I'll also laminate my pace band 

01/05/2014 at 11:14

I'm pretty sure that there's at least one entry missing from this list, but it's the most recent one I could find.

5 May: Belfast
Fergster - sub 3:10 - 18/70

5 May: Milton Keynes 
Jamie Farmer - sub-2:50 18/55
Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55
booktrunk - sub 4:30 18/55

18 May: Richmond Park
Marrows - no target

26 May: Edinburgh
icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
ladyfunrun - 3:45 - 18/55
Madbee - sub 3:50 - 18/55

01/05/2014 at 11:22

15W: Chest is clear, not coughing up any more gunk. Just weak as a kitten, can run etc.. just no energy, tired when i go up one flight of stairs, and could sleep for England just so tired, but just need to let the body recover now

01/05/2014 at 11:23

Wenty: I'm in your gang, but I'm not crazy enough to admit that...

01/05/2014 at 11:46

Can someone change my target?  I'm going for 3:44:59  

BT, that sounds encouraging, you've still got a few more days to rest and recover - sleep sounds like the best training you can do right now!

I am in full on taper-madness mode and I haven't started the real taper yet.  Sunderland half on Sunday, legs felt super-bouncy last night on a 12 miler, so just a couple of short runs the next few days and I'm ready to smash it!  Hopefully that will give me a definite indication of whether target time is on...

01/05/2014 at 12:13

5 May: Belfast

Fergster - sub 3:10 - 18/70

5 May: Milton Keynes 
Jamie Farmer - sub-2:50 18/55
Xyloid - sub 4:00 - 18/55
booktrunk - sub 4:30 18/55

18 May: Richmond Park
Marrows - no target

26 May: Edinburgh
icklemichael - 3:05 - 18/70
ladyfunrun - 3:45 - 18/55
Madbee - 3:44:59 (or better!) - 18/55

01/05/2014 at 12:19

BT - Plenty of time to get yourself rested and raring to go then!! Just go sensible come the day.

Anyone got any other races coming up? Ive got Chester Half two weeks on sunday and am on waiting list for a fast 5k weekend after, then there is Rhyl.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.