P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

7,201 to 7,220 of 7,716 messages
16/04/2014 at 09:00

Lit - I'd like to hear more. If I'm planning Paris next year, I would want to set up basically a year's training plan to get the endurance and speed built up steadily, instead of launching in to a plan/

16/04/2014 at 09:01
Wenty wrote (see)

Is Fergie and the MK gang in taper mode yet?

Yes indeed - first week this week. There's a definite advantage of having a race about 4 weeks after the vast majority of people on the thread as I get advance warning of what to expect in terms of training and taper etc.

Wenty wrote (see)

BT, I dont know about you, but I dont think i had been running long enough to really do the P&D justice.

Going from 3 runs a week last year of about 20-28 miles to the 18/ 55 was probably a bit too much of a jump.

I've only missed a few runs on the 55-70 plan this time, although I know that I'll enjoy the plan more when preparing for my autumn marathon as I've now demystified the VO2 sessions and back to back tune-up race & LSR days. Previously dodging those sessions and only roughly matching the prescribed mileage wasn't really following the plan at all and I can now understand why the plan is structured the way it is.

16/04/2014 at 09:03

Lit, you must have a huge amount of talent as well. So what you are saying is that i need to do the 55 plan all year round, then up it to the 55-70 for 18 weeks! eek

All of a sudden a sub 4 hr marathon looks inviting! Its so true that the marathon is an honest race and you get out what you put in!

16/04/2014 at 09:06
literatin wrote (see)
I think while obviously much of my improvement this year came from the specific marathon training (55-70 plan), a huge chunk of it was from having a whole year of consistent 40-45 miles (sometimes up to 50)/6 runs per week training behind me since the last one. Mostly easy running, 1-2 quality sessions per week.

Obviously I haven't raced my full marathon yet, but based on my recent HM, I think that lit is bang on the money here. A consistent running base just makes it easier when you jump into the plan. 

16/04/2014 at 09:10

A couple of post-marathon runs in my legs now. Not feeling bad at all.  Another week or two taking it easy... then I'm going to do some speed work to see what I can do with my 5K and 10K performance..

I do have a year of consistent running in my legs now.  Probably half that of Lit... but enough to give a firm base.  So hope to see some improvements.

Will think about my next marathon in due course!

Edited: 16/04/2014 at 09:11
16/04/2014 at 09:14

Fergster, 'demistifying' - great way to describe P&D once you've done it.  

In the beginning I honestly couldn't run a LT run and wondered what the hell I was doing following an 'advanced marathon' plan - who did I think I was?! but I kept trying and I think that's the key part - If you try and try and try and try, then you will improve, it will get easier and you will achieve what you set out to do.

I did bin the majority of recovery runs though.  

I've jumped back into P&D proper and did 10 miles last night (although I've massively got my weeks muddled up) and I went too quick, but I do want to go a bit quicker this time. 

16/04/2014 at 09:27

Definitely running all year round to keep the aerobic base helps. Soonish I am going to start running to/from work, will just keep it all easy and shortish (max 6mi) first of all so body gets used to it, then eventually I will start adding longer and speedier stuff. Not sure how rigidly I'll be following P&D for York in October, may just make up my own loosely based on it around commuting.

At this moment in time though I seriously can not be arsed with any running. 

Shazmo/Chick - how's the weather looking for Boston? Can vary a lot in that part of the world this time of the year. 

16/04/2014 at 09:31

Yes I'd agree with the running all year thing. You can't just turn it on for 18 weeks. Most elites don't tackle the marathon for a number of years. Anyway this is a topic that is covered in the conclusion section of my race report. 

16/04/2014 at 09:58
ladyfunrun wrote (see)

In the beginning I honestly couldn't run a LT run and wondered what the hell I was doing following an 'advanced marathon' plan - who did I think I was?! but I kept trying and I think that's the key part - If you try and try and try and try, then you will improve, it will get easier and you will achieve what you set out to do.

+1, I could not run LT runs. and struggles to start

15West wrote (see)

At this moment in time though I seriously can not be arsed with any running. 

Quality!

16/04/2014 at 10:03
ladyfunrun wrote (see)

My original thinking was 'sure, they're only recovery runs, I can skip them'.

My current thinking is 'forget the pace, you know this will iron out the kinks in your legs for your next key session'. Psychologically I think that they help also as you're not stressing about speed or distance.

16/04/2014 at 10:13

If I do a hard / long run one day.... and plan another one 2 days later... I generally feel better if I do a 3-4 mile recovery on the middle day, than if I simply rest.

But... if other commitments mean that it's hard to find 4 days a week to train... then sure, bin the recoveries.

16/04/2014 at 10:32

Shit - Boston police had to do a controlled explosion of 2 suspicious backpacks at the finish line . Apparently just some misguided loon but still .... this is not a good time

Weather is looking pretty decent right now but too early for a reliable forecast. Apparently sunshine with a high of 14 degrees and a Southwesterly breeze. Pretty damn perfect.

Wenty wrote (see)
chickadeee wrote (see)
Wenty, how are them knees today ??

Not good, but better than yesterday thanks. Concerning part is one of them keeps locking, especially when sat down for a while . Dont think i will be running for a few weeks.

Eeek! Sounds nasty. Will you seek medical advice or just sit it out? Not running sounds like a good idea at the mo

Madbee wrote (see)
and was the fat kid/teenager that got lapped in the 800m at sports day every year  

that could have been me

This is going to make you laugh: stupid idiot that I am did 9 miles today. Because my fuzzy brain calculated that 4.5+4.5 equalled 7 . My marathon is doomed now. And I didn't even enjoy the run

Dr. D: fab report . I posted a comment on the HADD fred.

Lit: going to read yours in my lunch break. Looking forward to it.

16/04/2014 at 10:32

Lit - great report and a fantastic run! Congratulations.

16/04/2014 at 10:51
chickadeee wrote (see)

Shit - Boston police had to do a controlled explosion of 2 suspicious backpacks at the finish line . Apparently just some misguided loon but still .... this is not a good time

oooh Chick, that made my tummy turn 

16/04/2014 at 10:58

Yikes, the police will be so all over it this year though that it will all be fine I'm sure!

16/04/2014 at 11:02

Paris marathon on April 12th, London on April 26th. Easter April 5th. School holiday April 3rd to April 19th. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

16/04/2014 at 11:31
chickadeee wrote (see)

At least you can be confident that they are being strict on security this year.

You will nail it on Monday! (Just dont do a wenty!)

Yes might have to seek medical advice as my left knee has something nasty going on with it.

16/04/2014 at 11:35

15West, surely you have to show off your talent on foreign shores, followed by a 'gentle' run in London?!

16/04/2014 at 11:36
15West wrote (see)

Paris marathon on April 12th, London on April 26th. Easter April 5th. School holiday April 3rd to April 19th. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

Good to see a 2 week difference between Paris and london. but Brighton is on same day as Paris. Hmm, I think I will pick Brighton and London next year. and do a march one.

Westy you have to do London as you have a championship start!

16/04/2014 at 12:14

Continuing to read back on the VMLM reports etc ... this wasn't a good time to be away from  interweb access. Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Andrews - fantastic! Totally deserved! ... and thank God for racing shoes.

Westy - what an amazing time! Great report too.

Wenty - gutted for you ... and you even lost you medal! You showed some real guts getting through that! Wardi also got taken out in a  fall ... definite danger in such a busy race.

Rachel - a marathon and 4 stone in a year ... outstanding achievement! And a great report too.

GK - well done! A PB at London is special. Agree that the crowds are unsettling. And that seeing your family makes this running lark seem very trivial.

SGB - a pretty solid run nonetheless - sub 3:30 is not to be sniffed at. Well done.

Ten - sub 4! Woooohoooo! And a lovely report! PPB next time though!

Marrows - what an athlete! Superb race! And lovely to meet you.

DT - great first marathon! Considering it went a bit wrong, that's a great place to start from and the experience will pay you back for the next one. Mrs DT has been convinced that there is a next one? Right?

Macca - a first sub-3:30 is great ... and something I'd like to experience! I have a pink face.

Shazmo - considering the injury, you should be pretty happy!  You'll be back with speedy times soon enough!

Ramjet - You're not nearly as shit at marathons as me. And that as a 5 min PB man!!!

Edited: 16/04/2014 at 12:43
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.