Pie Power

12 messages
25/08/2002 at 12:26
Hello all,

After running my first race today (5 miles in 43 minutes), I thought I'd share my pre-race high carbohydrate secrets. It's called 'pie power'. You see, as my bourfriend had reached the age of 34 without ever having eaten pie, I decided that this needed to change. So I made a blackberry and apple pie in the afternoon, which we ate whilst watching some telly. Later in the evening, he urged me to eat more pie, saying that I needed all the 'pie power' I could get, but alas, I was quite full already.

Anyway, my race today went well, so it must have worked. So everybody, start baking, as I think that this only works with the homemade variety.

Cheers,
Hild
25/08/2002 at 13:59
Aren't we a strangely superstitious sort. I ran my first really good race; good both in time and mileage, on homemade soup and loads of bread. Now, every time a big race day arrives I cannot bring myself to eat anything different!
25/08/2002 at 14:17
I seam to run well on a recipe I found in a book called 'Recipies For Runners'. Its called 'Mushrooms With Millet' [bird seed makes you fly you see!!!!!!!]Honest! but I change the chicken in the recipe for tuna.
25/08/2002 at 19:42
Time to start a new thread on food. I like the pie idea, unfortunately I'm a little lazy in the kitchen!
25/08/2002 at 22:48
Congratulations on your first race Hildegard, and a great time too.
I must say your pie suggestion sounds infinitely more appetising than Big Tim's bird seed dish which sounds a bit too much like Rose Elliott on a particularly earnest day.
Still, who am I to quibble with what works for you Tim!
26/08/2002 at 11:43
'bourfriend'? eek, bring back the edit function!!

I also ate pizza that day, so perhaps some special chemistry was going on.

Big Tim - are there any other tempting recipes in your book?
26/08/2002 at 19:11
'Recipes For Runners' By Sammy Green. Published by Foulsham.
With recipes by runners like Ron Hill & Bill Jordon [Jordons cereals]
Another favourite is Chicken With Mango Stir Fry.
Oh & millet is supposed to have three times the carbohydrate as brown rice!!!!!!
26/08/2002 at 20:02
I tried cooking millet once, but I don't think I cooked it for long enough, as it was rock hard!

Ever tried quinoa? It's a magical wonder grain (loads o' protein) from South America.

Thanks for the book info, I'll see what there is about it on Amazon.
26/08/2002 at 20:10
I've heard of it but never tried it so perhaps now is the time!
26/08/2002 at 20:54
Hildegard - what a shame. I'd assumed "bourfriend" was a corruption for "boorfriend" which I thought was rather amusing. s.
26/08/2002 at 21:38
Achilles - yes, very amusing, but I had to set the record straight in this case, as I'd never slave over a hot oven for a boor!
27/08/2002 at 09:16
Quite right. s.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.