Pilates? Yoga? Swimming?

7 messages
23/02/2013 at 13:05

So, I want to try and add a different dimension to my training outside of running. Ideally I'd like to build core strength and generally have a better all-round fitness.

I wanted to know what kinds of things have people have tried and how it has helped them with their running?

I have been told that pilates is really good for helping with the above but wanted to see what other things I might not have considered

23/02/2013 at 20:44

Pilates is very good for core strength. Enjoyable too (well, I enjoy it).

23/02/2013 at 22:22
Started Yoga in November and definitely feeling a lot more flexible and with less niggles. Feel that there are core-strength benefits too. Cross-train on an exercise bike once or twice a week as well and feel that this helps while also given the legs a rest from weight-bearing activity.
24/02/2013 at 14:10

I have recently started yoga to work on core/balance/flexibility/all round fitness and am totally hooked!  I also do Spinning which is a really good workout but not weight bearing.

24/02/2013 at 15:23

The rowing machine, preferably a Concept 2. Non-weight-bearing so a good rest from the impact of running and a nice workout to flush the legs through after a hard run the day before. If you're doing it correctly it's 60 per cent legs and 20 each for core and arms/shoulders.

24/02/2013 at 20:18
As well as working on core stability, the pilates will also help greatly with flexibility. For all round fitness, you can't beat the indoor rower in my book
24/02/2013 at 20:52

I was interested in pilates. The instructor asked me how flexible I am. I told her I can't do Tuesdays or Fridays.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.