Post-run refuel

11 messages
21/12/2003 at 16:28
Wotcha.

I know all the theory says get some protein down you within 30 mins of stopping to help repair all the damage, and being a teeny bit obsessive, I try to give it a go. But what exactly is best? I know that my cooldown, stretch, shower, change, get in car, find supermarket, eat grub routine is well over half an hour, and anyway it usually ends in me buying an egg mayo sarny with about a trillion grams of fat.

I know I've heard of protein drinks, and they sound like just the job, cos I can stick them in my bag and tuck in within minutes of grinding to a halt. So, what do you recommend? The only thing I've seen in shops that vaguely fits the bill is those Slim-Fast cans. Are they the best? Or even suitable? Or should I be looking elsewhere? Bear in mind that I'm far too lazy to make my own sarnies. Self-contained, long-life and off-the-shelf for me!

I think it's obvious I don't know what I'm on about, so any help would be appreciated! :-)
21/12/2003 at 16:39
Swervemeister, I use Slim-Fast like a lot of people here and as suggested by Greg McMillan

< href="http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%203/recovery1.htm"> McMillan running website

You can buy the milk shake powder from Sainsburys.

I only use it after long runs.

Hope that helps.
21/12/2003 at 16:42
21/12/2003 at 16:53
Thanks, Percy.
Impressed - that could very well be the perfect answer!
21/12/2003 at 18:31
I use Slim-Fast too Swerve and I think it works a treat. I buy the cans as I find them easiest to take to races, but I've also had the powder form.

If I take it after a hard/long workout or race then I find I can train again the next day without too much trouble.
21/12/2003 at 18:49
oooh good tip...didn't know that, thanx
21/12/2003 at 20:00
How do they compare price wise with sports recovery drinks? I bought a tub recently and was surprised that each drink effectively costs well over £1 even though i have to make them up myself. Taste quite nice though.
21/12/2003 at 20:02
SiS Rego and Be-Well refuel are both effective.
21/12/2003 at 20:25
They are BR, but not as easy to get hold of. There is nowhere that sells either in my town!

nd-I'm afraid I don't look at the cost, mainly because as mentioned to BR there isn't an altermative for me buy locally.
21/12/2003 at 21:26
SIS do mail order via their website I think. And the chocolate REGO is well tasty :-)
21/12/2003 at 22:25
choccie rego... bleeeurgh :|

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.