Pre long run nutrition

3 messages
02/10/2012 at 17:15

Hello all,

I'm currently training for a marathon and would much appreciate some advice on nutrition before my long runs!

My long runs are from 15 - 20 miles... the problem is I am lost with nutrition and I am changing my scheduled long runs from evenings to mornings. So my question is for the morning runners out there, what is a good pre run breakfast that won't make me want to go to the toilet and is light with a good source of energy? Also is oatmeal a good pre run meal or is there to much fibre in it?

I eat 2 - 2 1/2 hours before long runs and I would love to here some suggestions from morning runners who have experiance in running marathons and nutrition! Ofcourse everyone is different and I will have to experiment... just need some warnings first!

Many thanks, James

02/10/2012 at 17:19

i did my long runs in the morning and although i only got up to 17 miles i did have a banana smoothie (2 bananas, handful of raspberries or other fruit, honey, yoghurt and a little milk) and a piece of peanut butter toast. then take a few nibbles with you!

02/10/2012 at 20:09

I like to have a bowl of quick-porridge 3 to 2 hours before, then up to 0.5 l sports drink about an hour before so I still have time for a pee. (That's actually my race day feed too.) T I take a gel every half hour and maybe other bits and pieces on offer or maybe an energy bar part-way round.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.