prep

7 messages
14/11/2011 at 12:41

Doing London Marathon which will be my 4th in 4 years. I follow a 12 week program but have decided to use the weeks leading up to that to prepare my body.

What's the best thing to do (other than core work, as I already do 2 Pilates classes a week)? Hill work, speed work, quad strengthening?

cougie    pirate
14/11/2011 at 13:33
12 weeks doesn't sound very long ? I'm planning on something nearer 20 weeks.

I'd have just thought to get more miles under the belt.
14/11/2011 at 13:41
Done a 12 week program for my previous 3 marathons, which is following regular 25 miles per week running. It works for me, as it feels the right length. Of course, if I wanted to knock 15 mins of my PB then I would need to put in a lot more work over a longer period, but I want to do well without it taking over my life completely.
cougie    pirate
14/11/2011 at 14:38
Fair enough then. I'd definitely think that getting more miles in the legs would be the best bet for you though. Whats your PB ? If you're not aiming to get a PB then I'd probably not go overboard on speedwork - especially as preparation for your training.
14/11/2011 at 15:13

If you're not already there, get used to the training load (ie get up to the 25 miles/week)  My marathon plan is more like 50 mpw, and I'm building up to it (with lots of slow miles) so that at least the volume of training won't be much of a shock.

In other words - what cougie said!

14/11/2011 at 15:19
I am now, and will be, doing 25 mpw right up to the start of the training plan. The plan then takes me to 50mpw at its peak.
cougie    pirate
14/11/2011 at 15:25
Is that not a big jump for you ? What's 25mpw ? 4 hours of running or so ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.