Race day strategy (incl breakfast)

5 messages
28/03/2010 at 15:25
Hi

would you be able to share your race day/LSR strategies with me, how you approach getting ready for the day

I find that eating before running can lead to stomach cramps at about 10 miles, or worse, a desperate need for the toilet, so I tend to skip breakfast

today doing wilmslow I really struggled in 2nd half with energy levels, but that was better than the alternative had I eaten brekkie

current thought is to try gettin up early 6:30 and havin brekkie before running at ~10:30, will that be enough time to let it all digest and clear? What kind of foods would be best to eat for brek? I'm not a poreidge kinda guy so I am after easily digestible, high energy foods

Amy advice?
28/03/2010 at 19:16

That would probably be too much time before eating and running for me, but might work for you. You're best off experimenting on your long runs.

My routine is to eat about 2 hrs before I start running. If it's a LSR I sometimes go back to bed for a bit after my porridge/cereal and coffee, if it's a race I always stay awake. Caffeine is essential for me to...ahem...prod the bowels.

Somewhere in there I'll drink a pint of water.

Done.

How cereal or muesli instead of porridge? I'm not a massive fan of porridge but it works. Maybe you could flavour it with cinnamon or nutmeg to make it tastier?

28/03/2010 at 20:12
Agree with veester you need to find what works for you by experimenting on your training days. You certainly do not want to be trying anything new on the day of a comp
29/03/2010 at 14:33

Having suffered from cramps in the past I have developed a routine that has worked very well for me. I managed a 23 mile LSR at the weekend and a half marathon race the week before doing this. Everyone is different but you might want to try the following -

Have a large carbo rich meal early the night before an LSR and drink about 4 litres of fluids during the day. Have some fruit and a protein/carb shake about an hour before bed. Take a few mouthfuls of a protein/carb shake the morning of the LSR but nothing else. Go to the toilet! Head out for your run and make sure to have plenty of isotonic drink with you. I have a 1.3 Litre Camelbak which I fill with my own isotonic drink which I take every 2 miles.

If I am racing or running a few hours later I get up 3 hours before the race and drink a large protein/carb shake. I make sure I visit the toilet at least twice and if feeling nervous due to racing take an immodium.

The protein/carb shake is made up of whey protein, soya milk and ultra fine rolled oats.

29/03/2010 at 16:47
I've had the same question past few weeks. I've tried porridge, weetabix and bagels 2-4 hours before a long run or race but get painful stomach cramps so like Badbark, I now eat high carb meals the day before the long run/race. I have a snack before bed (normally jelly sweets!) and have just trained myself to eat  1/2 - 3/4 lucozade energy bar 3 hours before the run. I use SIS Go Gels on the run. I can sometimes get hungry before a run but the gels keep my energy up and appetite soon goes. It's worked for me but you gotta experiment. People keep saying you must eat before a run but it really doesn't agree with my stomach. Use either isotonic drinks or gels on longer runs.Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.