Race time predictor

7 messages
K2
03/12/2004 at 15:28
My pb's are as follows:
10k 1:05:51 (May '04)
half 2:25:30 (March '03)
marathon 5:24:57 (April '04)

The RW race time predictor suggests that I should be able to do a sub 5:00 marathon.

What should I concentrate on first - speedwork or building endurance?

03/12/2004 at 15:53
I'd say endurance would be key to a sub 5 hour...but what do you think added the 24 minutes in April?
K2
03/12/2004 at 16:16
Amanadarunning -
It was my third - times have been pretty similar for the other two (5:30 and 5:26). I'm 55 and at present rate of improvement will crash through the 5 hour mark whenI'm 71!
Had a real "down" patch at about 10 miles - felt so bad I had doubts about finishing - but did the last 10k split faster then the second. Torrential very cold rain in the last mile didn't help, but neither was enough to add 25 minutes.

I was surprised to see the RW time - it seems like a lot to take off the current marathon pb.
03/12/2004 at 16:57
Hi K2
I reckon amandarunning has it right. You need to be pushing back hitting the wall to 20 miles if you can. Then you only have a 10K to run to get to the finish line. Endurance endurance endurance. sadly it needs a lot of time to build it up.
Hope you are wearing your FLM t-shirt :-)
K2
03/12/2004 at 17:09
Hi Podro
Hmm - that's sort of what I thought. I'm probably doing a marathon next week (long story!) and having a go at the Oldbury 30 on Jan 23rd so should have built up endurance a bit by April, so long as I can keep up motivation.

Not wearing T-shirt today but flaunt it proudly as often as possible - I think of you every time so hope your ears/eyes were burning!
03/12/2004 at 17:33
K2
I've found that speed has come with endurance. Just did Leicester with no speedwork training because I always seem to get injured by running as fast as possible. Plenty of long slow runs and managed to knock 21 mins off my FLM time. Now aimimg for a GFA time for FLM 2006. Not in FLM 2005 (so far), will do a different one in the spring if I don't get in.
K2
03/12/2004 at 17:44
Podro - Congratulations! If I knocked 21 minutes off my time I'd be nearly there.
I had wondered if running very hard might be counter-productive for me as I then need at least a day off, possibly 2. I'm well-aware that I take longer to recover than younger running friends.
I've got a FLM 2005 place - if I have a spare T-shirt, it's yours.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.