Re -Hydration

5 messages
27/01/2013 at 15:29
Hi all I am in the middle of my marathon training , Trying to improve my re-hydration when running and after my run, but don't no how to work it out , I did 16 miler ,ave 8.20 pace , I lost 3lb in weight , I had 2 gels and drank 500ml of sports drink , is there a set formula to work it out , Regards scooter
cougie    pirate
27/01/2013 at 17:46
Don't over complicate things. If you over hydrate after a run you'll wee it out anyway. Go from the colour of your wee ?
28/01/2013 at 14:57

Generally 1ltr of fluid = 1KG (2.2lb) in weight. Even elite runners are 2% dehydrated at the end of a run. Drink to thirst not a formula

28/01/2013 at 20:58
Don't make the mistake of thinking if you lost 3lbs of weight you should have drunk 3 lbs of water. You should NOT finish a run with the same weight as you started, that's a sign of over hydration which has potentially worse side affects than under hydration.

Elite marathoners finish the race in the most dehydrated state compared to all other runners and are often 5-7% lighter at the end of a marathon.

The key message is drink to thirst.
28/01/2013 at 22:15
Thank you for all the info
Regard scooter

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.