Reasonable expectations

3 messages
28/02/2013 at 20:23

I've just signed up for a xc race that is just over 5 weeks away and I was wondering what training I should be putting in up to the race and a reasonable pace I should be aiming for?

The race is 13km, which I don't think is too much of a problem in itsefl (I did 11.3km at the weekend fairly easily), but at the moment I am fairly slow (5:30-6min/km on trails).

It's my first ever event and I don't want to embarass myself 

All suggestions greatly appreciated 

28/02/2013 at 20:33
Not much background but I suspect the only way you would embarrass yourself would be to turn up in fancy dress! Training just keep up the weekly runs - at least 3?! Also try and train on a similar terrain so you will know what to expect.
28/02/2013 at 20:40

Well, I've only been running since November (been cycling mainly for the last 20 odd years), but a few injuries (ankle, mainly) have scuppered things a bit, although it seems I am over these now **touches wood**. 

Most of my runs have been betweel 7 and 10km, with a few over 10km and one snowy 17km run.

All of my running, well as much as I can, has been off road, so I don't think the terrain will be an issue, and I won't be doing it in fancy dress  unless you count Skins tights, Gore shorts and a Craft top 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.