recent article in runners world december02/january03

19 messages
19/12/2002 at 21:10
hi,
i don't know if you all read it this month. but there was na article in this current RW advising us to take a little run right bang in the middle of the festive period,

any success stories/dramatic accounts of failure to do this, or simply anyone planning to do this?
The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/12/2002 at 22:13
you what?
19/12/2002 at 22:47
Honestly, a decent run on Christmas Day morning, before you start eating and drinking, makes you feel great. There's a different atmosphere in the world, and it's well worth experiencing. It also makes you feel a bit better about over-indulging later on in the day.

Andy
19/12/2002 at 22:55
But what about church, children, relatives presents entertaining, etc
20/12/2002 at 09:10
church - midnight service on christmas eve
children - i am one (don't have any of my own yet)
relatives - arrive around 2pmish
presents - throughout the day
entertaining - eh?

so plenty time for a run!
20/12/2002 at 09:19
I'm having xmas dinner at my brothers, in the morning he's taking me out for a xc run - god help me he does a sub 6 min mile !

I'm already practising my "it's ok, I'll make my own way round" or "Don't worry, you go on ahead - I'll just die here in this ditch!"
20/12/2002 at 14:21
XC on Xmas day? Now there's an idea. I was only going to take hubby out on the road, but you've given me an idea Scooby. I'll have to put it gently to him though as my XC runs have a habit of being VERY muddy.
20/12/2002 at 14:30
Plan for Christmas Day:

Midnight mass
four hours sleep
mad frenzied opening of present(s)
chocolate
breakfast
chocolate
make the stuffing
bird in oven
nice 4 or 5 mile run (can't be beat) off road
roasters in
open the wine (it has to breathe you know)
make the gravy
cook the veg
open more wine
pig out
gentle stroll
3pm switch telly off
3.10 switch telly on
1.chocolate
2.booze
repeat 1 and 2 as required.

20/12/2002 at 16:52
I've been for a run on Christmas day the last 3 years - between prezzie opening and chocolate and starting the eating/drinking fest in the afternoon. Gives you a good appetite and de-stresses you for dealing with relatives.
20/12/2002 at 17:41
XC on chrisrtmas day, yes, i also like the sound of this, thanks for the inspiration there guys
20/12/2002 at 18:43
Working 24 hr shift Xmas day:(
Theres always boxing day for running
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/12/2002 at 21:01
hadn't considered it as I wake up in one house, then go home, then onto mums so may not have time but i can see the benefits!
22/12/2002 at 11:09
If you run on Christmas day you get to wave to all the other runners wearing their nice new Christmas trainers/hats/fleeces etc etc
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/12/2002 at 13:16
Yep - what else are we going to do while the turkey's cooking? Early morning run with the pack, then we can get down to the serious business of drinking and scoffing all the Christmas goodies we don't allow ourselves the rest of the year without feeling guilty!
22/12/2002 at 23:02
same here, I'll go after admiring what Santa left in the children's stockings and before sitting down to traditional swedish xmas breakfast (mega portion rice pud cooked on the stove and eaten with cinnamon). Noone will notice I've gone as they'll still be getting up in the time it takes me to do a little 4-5 miler.
23/12/2002 at 23:29
My FLM plan dictates that I do a steady 60 minute run on Xmas day..... timed to be just when the veg needs peeling !!!!

Glad to see you are well into the new job BENZ!!!! happy xmas !
23/12/2002 at 23:33
havent satrted yet darling, just working at the blody heath on xmas day
Start april 1st!!!!!!!!
Happy running
My FLM plan is only 3 miles, im on a slower one than you
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/12/2002 at 14:41
Just come back in from 10 x 30sec uphill sprints, with a warmup and cool down, that'll do for today! Now it's back to the eating and drinking fun part of Christmas.
Benz, don't work too hard.
25/12/2002 at 19:46
Did todays run yesterday
just pacing up and down wards today
Roll on 9 am

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.