Recovery after a race

6 messages
09/10/2002 at 15:02
I ran the Great North on Sunday, great run for me, under 1:27. What sort of distances, sessions should I do over the next couple of weeks?
09/10/2002 at 15:12
What a great time. Really impressive. Wish i could do that time.
Take it seasy for the next week or so. Start with a gentle 3-5 miles really slowly for a couple of days, then start to build up the mileage again after about 2 weeks. Remember to allow 1 day of rest/gentle jogging for each mile of racing. After the two weeks you should be able to start building up the mileage and speedwork again without too much difficluty.
WildWill    pirate
09/10/2002 at 16:15
For a half marathon - as a rule of thumb I half the number of sessions I do a week for the following week – for me that’s down to 1 per day and I keep to shorter distances than normal *66% of norm) and lower intensity

Will
09/10/2002 at 16:54
What a splendid time, bearded one. After that, you can do whatever you like!

I plan to do the same sessions this week as I would have done had I not run the GNR. I was unable to race at more than long-run pace, and 13 miles is in the same range as my current long-run distance, so I'm treating it as if it was a training run.
10/10/2002 at 14:22
Goat - I have no idea what your training should be, sorry - I just wanted to say contrats on a fab time for the GNR.

Happy Shambler!
10/10/2002 at 15:39
thanks for your help

Yes I couldn't believe my time, nearly three minutes off last year. I've been following the Runners World schedule and really getting stuck in to the speedwork. I also did some extra runs in the two weeks building up to pre race week and then really tapered down.

I'm going to press on now and go for a sub 3 hour marathon at London next year. I did inside 3.15 this year so it's quite a jump.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.