Refuelling in training

3 messages
30/09/2011 at 11:17
I am wondering whether it is necessarily a good idea to re-fuel during longer training runs. I have in the past, mainly to get used to actually using them, so I know which gels suit me. However, now I have a feeling that I might be better not re-fuelling in training, to assist in fat burning, and leave the gels until the actual day of the race. Any thoughts?
30/09/2011 at 20:16
www.mcmillanrunning.com talks about that very idea.
01/10/2011 at 10:12

I think it's a trickier question than it sounds. I know McMillan advocates a ''running on empty'' approach to promote better fat burning but I personally get a bit scared of trying it out.  If you 'bonk' during a long run, apart from the fact that it's an uncomfortable experience, the loss of energy can't help with your training in general.  So I understand the theory but I think it's a balancing act between promoting fat burning and at least being able to successfully complete the long runs which will promote the necessary endurance fitness.

I tend to take the approach of taking on enough fuel to get through the runs without wilting.  That generally means no more than 500ml Lucozade Sport for 20 - 23 miles, although depending on time on feet others might need more.  Anything up to 2 hours I'll just make sure I'm topped up and well hydrated before I go out, or possibly drink water along the way if it's warm.  I generally save the gels for the dress-rehearsal runs/preparatory 20 mile race a few weeks before.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.