Resting Heart Rate and Speed

21 to 28 of 28 messages
11/01/2013 at 14:26
Rhr of 46 and similar race times to op but I'm 45. Don't know max, not really keen on finding out given the method involved!
11/01/2013 at 14:35

In my teens my resting hr was in the 50s, but I couldn't run at all! I was kayaking 6-7 times a week though. The correlation is more between fitness and RHR, rather than running times.

11/01/2013 at 14:51

RHR is roughly 42 and run times are around16:45 for 5k, 35 for 10k, 1:17 for HM.

15/01/2013 at 15:23

I'm really intrigued with HR ever since I got my new garmin hence my reason for starting the thread.

I did a long run on Saturday of 14.5miles, aiming to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone. My HR never exceeded 160 (max is 194 and RHR is 57) and I averaged 8:08min/m. I hope I'm not asking too much here but would that indicate I have relatively poor aerobic system considering I can run a 39:xx 10k and a sub-19 5k ? I'm quite new to running so trying to absorb all knowledge if possible

15/01/2013 at 15:37

PP/Brian - interesting on the beats per mile thingy. I've always performed better at MP/LT than at easier paces. Typically the only time I'll go under 1000bpm(ile) is at Marathon pace when I'm fit. Even now, whilst very unfit, my Mara and LT stats are ahead of my easy stats. Apparently I'm a 'high beater' though (not sure if such a thing exists, but that's what I was told).

15/01/2013 at 15:52

ShipStar, I'm slower than you, eg 10K PB 41:45, HM 92:10, but my RHR is 46. About 5 years ago my 10K PB was 47:00 with RHR of 48. ie I've speeded up but my RHR has barely changed. 

So it's mostly genetic I think.

15/01/2013 at 16:37
Night Nurse wrote (see)

Miguel Indurain, a cyclist and five time Tour de France winner, had a resting heart rate of 28 beats per minute, one of the lowest ever recorded in a healthy human

er... are you really a nurse?

I'm late forties. I've always had a low resting heart rate... usually it's in the mid-low 30s when I wake, but several times I have measured it below 30.   29 for sure.  Probably 28.

It's always been like that.  My fitness has fluctuated over the years, from being very unfit to well above average... (e.g. regular footballer, and run a marathon) but never ever have I been close to 'super-fit' like a lot of people on here, or in the army...  I've never noticed a change in RHR (though I didn't monitor it). Right now, sat at my computer, I just measured it at 44bpm.

Does this make me world-class or potentially unhealthy?   I've had Well-Man check ups from time to time, and had a precautionary ECG and heart echogram about 15 years ago...  and everything was perfect. So if I've not been unhealthy, I must be world-class.  I really must buy a bike.

Seriously though.. should I investigate this further?

15/01/2013 at 16:52
Muttley wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

At my fittest my HR range was 25 bpm to 193 bpm.

I knew a guy whose resting HR was 45 bpm when mine was 35 bpm ...

25? 35? I call typo or bullshit ...

Sorry guys. My resting HR never got quite as low as 25.

A sheet from my diary of the time for your inspection.

Saturday 28th is the true figure.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/pulse2.png?width=350

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.