Returning to running after injury

1 message
23/04/2013 at 15:18

I tore my left gastronemius and soleus in April last year. I was on crutches for four weeks and I have managed just about to return to normal a year down the line after building up my muscle strength (gradually) with physio, swimming, walking, yoga and more physio. I have not attempted to run again yet but I am keen to get back into it and I would like to complete a 10k by the end of this year.

I started running in my early 20's (I'm not 35) and I have had an on/off relationship with it since my initial introduction. I prefer treadmill running and I acknowledge that this would be the best option for me at this moment in time, as I will be able to build the incline up and for safety reasons/risk of reoccuring injury I do not feel I can go out alone yet.

Does anyone have any advice? I would make sure I complete my stretches before and after any running, in fact I'll be doing them daily as I'm so scared of it happening again.  How often should I train, for how long and what intensty? And when should I stop?

I'm also trying to eat well at the moment and take better care of myself. I have gained about 2 stones in this last year and I am aware of the impact this could have on any training program. But in regards to injury prevention, are there things I should avoid or make sure I eat?

Thanks in advance for an advice

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.