Running and rowing (erging)

21 to 40 of 260 messages
13/11/2012 at 19:38

Good evening fellow ergers

Yesterday was a rest day after a half marathon running race on Sunday, so back to the good old Pete Plan today.

Week 2, hard distance row of 5,000 metres. The longer-term goal on this sesh is to gradually whittle it down to 20 minutes dead without beasting myself, having benchmarked an easy 21 minutes back in July. Three seconds off my previous time today at 20:30 exact and not too bad so there's plenty more to give yet

I love rowing against myself on RowPro - like a dog chasing its tail. Really couldn't do without it. Someone said the erg was "relentless". It certainly is - I would suggest "remorseless".

13/11/2012 at 19:39

Oh, and I thought this was a good song for us. ZZ Top and "erger man"

14/11/2012 at 08:57

Erg!!! Couldn't do any rowing last night after work because I'd donated blood and was advised to not do any strenuous exercise for 24 hours. Not sure whether cycling home 2 miles counted but I did feel more tired than usual. Should have full complement of red blood cells by tonight!

14/11/2012 at 17:51

£1000 for a concept is out of my price range

14/11/2012 at 18:20

Spen: I thought long and hard before buying mine. But they hold their value well, as a look on Fleabay proves. I got it five years ago and the cost was part of the motivation to use it. One of the best purchases I've made.

Becky: poor excuse, it won't wash. Double session for you tonight, young lady!

14/11/2012 at 18:22

No erging for me this evening since it's a running day (just done 10K steady). Final session of Pete Plan week 3 comes up tomorrow, then back to the beginning ...

Hannah: hello and welcome!

14/11/2012 at 19:07

Muttley: Thanks for the "young lady" comment!

15/11/2012 at 18:54

Nothing for me today. Seem to have a spot of man flu *sniffle*. 

I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

15/11/2012 at 21:15
Still returning to running for me, incorporating the erg. 4mile run, then a 30min 'erg' to get off my feet, followed by a further 4.5 mile jog. Things are slowly coming back. All very slow and plodding for now.

I'm tempted to video myself on the rower to see how bad the technique really is.
Edited: 15/11/2012 at 21:16
16/11/2012 at 12:02

Is that what the triathlon crowd would call a "brick"? A bit hardcore for me but who knows, I might give it a whirl. Although I alternate with the erg to reduce impact after getting a bit creaky in the joints from doing 50 miles a week.

Spot of erging just done. 45 minutes easy, still a bit sniffly and hr averaging out 5-10 beats higher than usual. But it dropped to below 100 within a minute or so of finishing and was close to 2xrhr shortly after so not too bad.

18/11/2012 at 11:53

4 x 1000m 5 mins rest, as per Pete Plan week 3. Done fast enough it should leave you gasping but with enough rest to recover for the next. I think there's still some room for progress but it was tough and I was gasping ...

18/11/2012 at 18:17

2k race last night on the rower. No one to race against though. More girls need to get rowing.

Running I did my short loop (3.8 miles and about 250ft of hills) at 8:15 min/mile pace. I'm thinking that I might have a sub 4 hr marathon in me if the training goes well. Long run tomorrow.

19/11/2012 at 10:01

2K races hurt.

Plenty of girls rowing round here in Reading. My standard run takes me along the Thames and by two boathouses, and I get to see the ladies' crews training on the river. Some of them are quite rapid and by the look of them are seriously competitive.

19/11/2012 at 10:18

Muttley, I had a good look throught the Pete Plan. It looks like a flexible enough plan to fit around my running and I'm going to drop the row pro plan I started out on as a bit of 'practice'.

Do you just use the PM monitor to set up your sessions, or do you use rowpro. I thought about RowPro first, but last night realised racing against a previous session didn't seem to be possible for intervals. Also it doesn't seem possible in RowPro to have distance intervals, and timed recovery where RowPro can record the recovery metres.

Just wondered how you set this up. After a 3 week cycle it will be great to pace/race against the previous session.

Hannah I had a look at the BORC results. I was surprised to see how few competitors there were in any category. Still, a win is a win. When I was looking at buying a Concept in September, there was a little waiting list on Model D's due to post olympic interest in rowing. It doesn't seem to have translated to more people rowing the pixel river.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 10:20
19/11/2012 at 13:11

If you were to buy a rower which was not a concept one what would you buy?

19/11/2012 at 20:28

Also-ran: I use RowPro to set up the sessions. You're right, it's not possible to set the pacer on intervals or record "paddling" metres during rest periods. Pity. All my Pete Plan sessions are in the PC and I don't use the PM at all to programme workouts now. I keep track of my paces in the logbook in RowPro and online for reference when I next do that session.

In my current training cycle I'm on the third week of the third set of Pete Plan workouts. They're called "lunch hour" but I usually need a pretty generous lunch "hour" for each go.

I've never tried out the online rowing, quite content to chase myself on steady distance pieces.

Hannah: - hey, you won ... you can only beat the opposition that turn up on the day. And you would have beaten me as well .

Spen: I'm biased but only a C2 will do imho. There is also the Waterrower but that's more consumer than competitive. The magnetic rowers you see in the department stores look okay but they lack the motivation tools of the C2. If you shop around you can sometimes find refurbed C2s for about £750.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 20:28
19/11/2012 at 20:29

Oh, forgot to say - yesterday was a rowing day so it was a spot of running today. Seven and a half miles including 10K tempo. Felt good

19/11/2012 at 22:26

Spen. You need a C2. If you buy a used one you wont loose money if you want to sell it again. They hold their value so well.

19/11/2012 at 22:37

Slowly coming back with the running, 6 miles this morning with 4 somewhere between my MP and HMPace to blow out some cobwebs. No pain for the firt time in 2 months.

This evening I did my 1st Pete Plan session, it was the 8 x 500m. Before I started, I thought the 3'30" recovery was going to be way too long. Turns out I needed every second of it. That was a hard session - thanks Muttley for introducing me to a new world of pain!

spen71 - the only other rower I considered was the Oartec Slider. It had some good reviews, but I felt more confident going with Conecept 2 as a company, because of its integration with RowPro, a large user community, and because of their proven quality. They also have good resale values. I figure they should last a lifetime given the misuse and abuse the C2's get in Gyms.

20/11/2012 at 22:11

Also-ran: - you're welcome

It took me a while to get the pacing right for the various shorter and longer intervals. Best advice was from the man himself - first time round do all but the last one at a pace you know you can hold easily enough and then hammer the final rep, average out the paces and there's your target for next time. When you resist the temptation to go faster than target until you give it the beans on the final rep, average out the paces and, etc etc ... The shorter intervals I quite like, it's the endurance intervals that make me hurt.

Nothing for me today. Had a really good run last night but still trying to shake off an annoying low-level sniffle that's now in my throat.

21 to 40 of 260 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.