Running and rowing (erging)

81 to 100 of 260 messages
14/12/2012 at 20:57

Did a slow run today and it felt good. Xmas shopping all day tomorrow but might fit in a row when we get home )

15/12/2012 at 20:02

I used to have a C-Breeze. I didn't get on with it because it cooled only one side of me. I'd finish a row dry on one side and dripping on t'other. Then I got a fan but the draught of cool air gave me a headache. So I am resigned to being a sweaty boy, especially when the sun is on the conservatory in summer.

Went out for a 10-mile run yesterday in driving wind and rain. And did a 45-minute steady Pete Plan row today as the sun shone down warmly. I could have swapped them round but that would have meant I'm a wimp.

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 20:03
18/12/2012 at 14:25

I sweat like a nutter on the rower, more on the left side than the right for some reason.

It seems to be really clicking at the moment, did another 5k to end my lunchtime gym session today, feeling very comfortable at 1:54/5 pace for 4k so increased the stroke rate and maintained a bit quicker than 1:50 pace for the final k, total 18:52.

I've never logged a proper 5k time-trial so might beast myself before the year's out.

18/12/2012 at 14:28

Nice going Phil. I have done a couple of 5k time trials, but am slow. I did manage to knock about 9 seconds off my time on Sunday though, but was going for a bigger target (13km in an hour).

18/12/2012 at 19:20

Did a 6km run today and because i decided to massage my calf muscles with a rolling pin first they did not burn at all! Result!! Will be running again tomorrow and back on the rower on Thursday I think

18/12/2012 at 19:34
Thats my first 3 weeks of the Pete Plan done. I may drop the speed intervals as I get into marathon training and stick with the speed endurance and steady rows.

Perfect machine for PhilPub is the Concept 2 Dynamic - the fly wheel is on the left side level with your waist - perfect for left sided cooling!
18/12/2012 at 20:08
Did another 7k row yesterday. Today 3 mile threshold run. 24k total on rower in 10days
19/12/2012 at 10:03

Well, I can't match Phil's times but I'm gradually making progress on my 5,000m sessions to the magic 20 minutes marker. First session, back in summer, was an easy 21 minutes. The aim is to slice a couple of seconds off each time. Slowly does it. Last sesh was 20:25, from 20:27. Oh, and the other part of the aim is not to trash myself in the process, this is training not racing.

And talk to me about sweating on the erg. It fairly pours out of me.

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 10:05
19/12/2012 at 23:35

Well done Muttley - that's good progress!

21/12/2012 at 08:32

Thank you Vixx - but it gets tougher each time ... little chance of ever getting sub-19 Phil-style but an old dog can dream.

Supposed to do a steady 10k or so today. But it's the end of the world at 1115 apparently. Hmmm. Might as well be sitting and sweating on the erg when the sky falls in.

21/12/2012 at 08:48

I managed to get my 8 x 500m Pete Plan session in. I was well quicker than the 1st attempt. Knowing I'll never have to do them again after 1115 gave me the impetus to push a bit harder.. Bye bye fellow ergers

21/12/2012 at 11:51

Hello again cruel world

They do say that Concept 2's are bombproof and I'm pleased to say that mine has survived the end of the world. There's quality for you.

So that's a steady 45 mins done and week 1 of my 4th cycle of the PP completed. Week 2 starts with the pyramid - my favourite, bring it on

Edited: 21/12/2012 at 11:52
23/12/2012 at 10:00
I think recurring injuries mean no more running for the remainder of the year. Gutted.

Today I replaced my long run with a Half Marathon on the concept. Planned on keeping an even steady pace for a 90 min row, however a couple of grabs for a drink, and several pit stops to readjust the posterior meant a bit of a sprint finish to scrape inside 90 mins.

Advice for a half marathon: sort out the padding, and put a good film on
23/12/2012 at 12:27

Oh no A-R, that does not sound good on the running front. But on the other hand, it does pay once in a while to take a week or two off, laze around and eat too much, then regroup and return to the fray refreshed and ready to roll. And you might as well do that over Crimble and the New Year!

That's a decent pace for a half marathon - about 2:07 to 2:06, yes? I feel your pain with the posterior issue. My padding is a couple of layers of bubblewrap topped with an old towel that might have been white when I put it there oh, I don't know how long ago. Maybe I ought to remove and wash it, if it isn't already fused to the seat

Pete Plan pyramid done today, first session of week 2. I always look forward to the second half, forgetting that to hit target average pace I have to go quicker the shorter the interval, once the standing start is out of the way. This results in a mad thrash on the final 500m and 250m and me falling off sideways wheezing and heaving at the end of it. Love it - my favourite session

Edited: 23/12/2012 at 12:27
24/12/2012 at 07:57

Well done Muttley.  Sorry to hear that Also Ran.

Did my first ever long row yesterday evening.  Did 60mins in which I did 11020m which I am happy with.  I know it's not particularly fast but I needed to do an effort I know I can consistantly keep up plus iit is more endurance base training rather than speed at the moment.  Have to say I avoided the numb bum but that is because I purchase with the rower Concept 2 extra seat padding with cut out holes etc.  All felt fine.  Definately know from all my times on the turbo and treadmill I would need to watch something so set up the laptop with a hours DVD.  Most pleasant way of multi tasking!

27/12/2012 at 18:40

A whole hour on the erg in one go ... that is hardcore!

Santa brought me a nice new pair of Concept2 shorts. They're 10 per cent lycra so the fit is snug enough but without revealing any religious affiliations, and very comfy indeed. And quite natty, if I say so myself.

I've just broken them in with a Pete Plan 4 x 2000 m intervals set. Now rather sweaty.

27/12/2012 at 18:57
Anyone else with row pro? Found out tonight how to do online sessions. Just wondered if any regulars on he fancied setting one up for fun.
27/12/2012 at 23:50

I'm on rowpro Becky. The only time I've got tomorrow is in the evening. I notice that there's 1hr up at 20:00. Not sure if I feel like an hour so I might set up a 10k a bit earlier.  I've been ill for a couple of weeks so I'm just getting back into the swing of things.

Have fun with the shorts Muttley.

28/12/2012 at 08:34

Hi Hannah.  mmm.. 1hr I can do but it's a bit long at 8pm!  Happy to do a 10k earlier in the evening.  Again I am new to this so not fast.

28/12/2012 at 11:44

Hi Hannah, Have seen your onnline booking but unfortunately it is too late in the day for me.  Hopefully some other time.

81 to 100 of 260 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.