Running clubs in Putney, London

21 to 30 of 30 messages
04/10/2012 at 13:43

Serpentine is too far for me to travel after work (my commute is long enough as it is). Last time I joined a running club I stopped going because the travel there and back took too long. For ease I'm looking for something extremely local. Richmond Park would work (depending on times) as it is sort of on my way home.

04/10/2012 at 14:56

Barnes Runners has a very relaxed approach to training. They are a wonderfully ramshackle, disparate and eclectic bunch, many of whom simply run to try and stave off the midlife crisis for as long as they possibly can. They welcome beginners, recreational runners and elite runners (although an elite runner has yet to join them). For more information, visit their website: barnesrunners.org

04/10/2012 at 18:54

@hansyhobs I was training quite hard last year, and have let it slip. So my main aims are to build up endurance and get faster! There's a route on the Thames Path, around 4.5 miles that we could try..

21/10/2012 at 14:51
Hi, I am also new to the area and I am looking at joining a club but no look so far! Wanting to do around 4-6 miles per run at the moment but have ran further distances in the past. If anyone has found anything suitable or would like to run around the same distance would be happy to also run in a small group/couple of people if no clubs can be found!
22/10/2012 at 10:35

@Amy - I'd definitely be up for starting a Saturday morning run, for e.g. Let me know if you want to set something up!

22/10/2012 at 11:45
There's also www.parkrun.org.uk at 9am on Saturdays (5k). I do Richmond regularly, and there's one in Wimbledon too.
27/12/2012 at 17:11

Hi Hansyhobs and Miss Gilchrist

Have you found a running group in Putney yet?

I do the river loop run on the weekends but am looking to join up with a group. I'm not fast and am looking to improve too. Let me know if you'd like to set something up or if you have any other recommendations

Aimee

01/01/2013 at 09:30

@Aimee - Amy Ashdown and I have been running a few times a week (4 to 7 miles) for a few months now. DM me if you fancy joining us.

02/03/2013 at 13:03
Hi,

I'm looking to join a group of runners for week nights and possibly weekend sessions. I live on upper Richmond road and would like to run locally.

Please let me know if you would be wiling to have an addition to your group?

Matt
15/04/2013 at 20:07

Just to confirm Run Club Putney's still going strong so feel free to pop down and join us for a free trial. Obviously there is a monthly fee though I think we're one of the few clubs with professional coaches and our aim is to provide quality coached sessions for all levels at a reasonable price. Most of our sessions are circuit or technique based which seems to work well with such a wide range of abilities though we do also train groups up for specific events throughout the year.

Admittedly if you're a keen runner who's already out 2/3 times a week that's one thing but our general model is to attract those maybe new to the sport or nervous about joining a large group who simply head out for a run. At the end of the day if you make a couple of sessions a week you're looking at £2.50/session. We try to find a middle ground between the high end coaching of somewhere like the Running School who charge £50 session and your classic running club whereby you'd just meet up and head off for a run (not great if you can't run for more than 5 minutes).

Anyway, the model seems to be doing well and we're currently offering 12 sessions a week around the capital to over 150 members. We've just come back from a trip to Paris where we got 12 newbies around the marathon with the next goal a 10k in July so hopefully something to offer everyone.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.