Running into the wind

21 to 22 of 22 messages
19/03/2007 at 21:43
I was at Silverstone sunday for the first time and thankfully changed into a long sleeved top to run in as it was cold. The weather was horrendous and the wind blew me sideways a few times, as for the hailstones they really hurt !! By mile 9 l was wondering if l was ever going to finish and decided to forget times and just concentrate on finishing had a second wind ( pardon the pun )between miles 10 and 11 and felt great but by mile 12 l was praying to see the finish line.
I crossed the line with relief ,it had been my hardest race and l was surprised to see it was the fastest l had run a half marathon !!! I feel very HAPPY.
20/03/2007 at 21:42
Trini, if I'd known/thought about the drag effect of clothes I'd have worn cycling-type shorts instead of traditional-type running shorts. D'you think I could have save a few mins ? But seriously I'll think about several of your suggestions, - clothing, and keeping arms in etc next time i have to run in those sort of conditions.

And Vrap, if its any help, my HR yesterday was about what I'd have expected for a half marathon, though perhaps I could have pushed it up a bit earlier. There are certainly no variations that look like the difference between into the wind and with wind behind, though there is a big dip when the hailstones happened, and I was definately keeping my head down and not looking ahead, and at one point covering my face with my hand. I think a thick bushy beard would have been the most useful, as even if it had increased drag into the wind it would have been splendid protection from the hailstones :-)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.