RW's 10-week 1:50-plus half-marathon schedules

21 to 40 of 65 messages
24/04/2003 at 09:41
here goes, its the second set of schedules on the half marathon page, below the set 1 schedules

half schedules
24/04/2003 at 09:41
Thanks Annajo - if it doesn't work, just let me know where they are and I'll go look at them - I'm a subscriber so I should be OK!
24/04/2003 at 09:45
Doh - these are the ones I started with, following the third set, looking for 1:50-plus, but there are two race days!

I think I'll compare the sub 1:50 set's last two weeks and try to apply the logic to the 1:50plus - we'll see if it works!

Thanks for your help Annajo! Wish me luck, the race is on the 4th and I have to do well as I am being sponsored for it and loads of people now know that I am running, whereas with Berko, my first half, not many people knew!
24/04/2003 at 10:48
stumpy, look below the schedules you are using, further down the page. there is a whole different range of schedules.

good luck, though, which race are you doing?

(sorry if you already said! memory is bad today!)
24/04/2003 at 11:37
Disabling!
24/04/2003 at 19:33
Guys

very sorry for such a lethargic response - I've fixed week 9 now - hope it's not too late... and good luck!

Sean, RW
25/04/2003 at 08:44
Sean

I am struggling a bit with my long run on this schedule; I'm on week 6, doing fine with days 1-3 but last week, the end of week 5, I did an 8 and struggled, needing to walk a few times. So this week, I though that instead of doing the recommended 9-10 mile slow I should do the 8 again to consolidate this before I move on to the 9-10.

What are you thoughts with this? The reason I'm behind on the long ones is because of a misspent lost weekend...

The race is 25th May - Plymouth half.

Thanks very much,
Emma
25/04/2003 at 09:01
Cheers Sean - that's a relief!! I had been about right thanks to looking at the other schedules and guessing!

Annajo - I'm doing Keswick Half a week on Sunday (4th May) to raise money for Milton Keynes General Hospital Intensive Care Unit, who looked after a friend of mine recently. Sadly, Lynn passed away but the care and support she and her partner got was fantastic. Thankfully I've managed to get sponsorship that is based on finishing not time taken!!
25/04/2003 at 10:44
best of luck stumpy, hope you raise shed loads of money and have a good day.
25/04/2003 at 16:20
Good luck Stumpy, All the best!
25/04/2003 at 16:57
I wouldn't worry about missing sessions. If there are relatively few long runs in your schedule and you miss one you might want to replace an easier session with the long run you missed. So long as you don't try and catch up on missed sessions by dramatically upping your training or adding hard sessions near the race it will make no difference. The most important thing is to listen to your body, if you feel tired take it easier than the schedule suggests, if you are finding the pace too easy then try pushing a little harder occasionally.

If you find you are always missing sessions then maybe look at schedule with fewer days running. Some quite reasonable runners only do 3 days a week - in fact I bet even 6/7 day a week trainers still probably do most of their quality training over 3 sessions.
25/04/2003 at 23:50
Hi everyone,

I normally run 5k races (in about 30 mins), but have entered a half marathon in September, so loads of time to train.

I'm not sure which schedule to follow though, as I've never done speedwork or anything like that before.

Please advise!!

Thanks, Cath
29/04/2003 at 13:02
Thanks for the advice popsider. DId my 8 miles and feel good, reckon I'll be OK even though its just under 4 weeks.

Cath, I too am a 30 minute 5k runner and went for the 1:50+ schedule running 4 times a week because I didn't want to delude myself I can do it any quicker and running 4 times a week is pretty much all I can fit in. I've enjoyed the schedule and it builds you up quite well. The speed sessions aren't nearly as bad as they sound and I have surprised myself by enjoying them - they are quite exhilerating and definitely have a positive affect on general runs. I wondered about what does fast mean and it really is whatever speed is right for you - I kept to a speed that meant I couldn't talk properly when doing it but that I could sustain for the required period and for each speed session on that run. Also, I find having a rest day before my long run makes it easier and having a rest day after gives me sufficient time to rest & prepare for that week's speed work!

Good luck, Emma
27/05/2003 at 21:27
I did the Peterborough half earlier this year my first run and got a time of 1.57( not bad since I sufered a calf injury which took time to clear).
I'm doing the Norwich half in June and have only just found the training schedule. I'm looking at the 1.50 schedule as I don't want to overdo it.
Should I start part way through the schedule, I'm reasonably fit and can run an hour without problem but don't do speed training.
suggsetions?

Col
28/05/2003 at 08:51
Hi Col,
I did the same when I used the schedules, and just reduced the speed sessions a touch to start with.

1.57 for a first half is really good - I still didn't break the two hours on my second Half three weeks ago - but it IS going to go at the next one!

Good luck
07/06/2003 at 12:23
Stumpy, tried some speed sessions this week and bloody near killed me!
I'm going to get in a long run this Sun 8th, and take it easy next week before the Norwich 1/2.
I was hoping to improve on the previous 1.57 which in hindsight was a bit slow but I was a tad overcautious...1st race etc.
I'm worried about the heat though!

thanks
Col
11/06/2003 at 08:18
the first week of my schedule started well - in bed ill. but i did dorking 10 on Sunday in 1.35 with absolutly no training so i am hoping this means i'll be able to get under 2 hours for the 1/2 marathon. does this seem realistic?
bec
11/06/2003 at 18:55
Bec, was that 10k or 10 mile?
if it's miles, well i would say it depends on when your race is.
If it's fairly soon I think you might be a bit optimistic!
depends on the heat as well

good luck
col
12/06/2003 at 13:23
it was 10 miles and my race is in september so i am just starting training now.
bec
12/06/2003 at 14:45
Can anyone out there help? I have been following the RW half marathon 12 week plan for an under 2:00 time - up until 2 weeks ago when I was on holiday. I tried to stick to training but it wasn't always possible to get in the necessary speed and interval sessions. There are only 10 days until race day (Blackpool) and I feel that I have lost much of my stamina and strength I have built up. Should I just follow the plan anyway, or try to build myself up a bit me more, at least for this week?
21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.