RW's 10-week 1:50-plus half-marathon schedules

41 to 60 of 65 messages
13/06/2003 at 21:35
thurgo-one... I should just go to the pub!
I like others missed part of the plan and just picked it up part way through.
Is it your first 1/2?

col
15/06/2003 at 20:22
did the norwich 1/2 today, time of 2.01.
It was 25'c and bloody roasting, have vowed not to run 1/2's in summer!!!

Col
15/06/2003 at 22:14
Well done Colin for surviving a half-marathon in such heat! and in a reasonable time too. Blackpool will be my first race at such a distance, although I have recently enjoyed a 10 miler and third of a marathon. I'll see how I feel on the day, won't push to hard at first and then will try to speed up a bit towards the last few miles if I can manage it - perhaps the euphoria will kick in.
Thurgo-one
16/06/2003 at 08:34
thurgo-one,
my race plan was to start off slowly, run a slow middle race and end slowly!
Norwich I thought though was very well organised.

good luck
Colin
23/06/2003 at 11:37
Disabling!
Roz
29/08/2003 at 12:39
I've only got 6 weeks to train for half marathon and am JUST up to 7 miles...any hope for me at all or should I just hope for the best?
29/08/2003 at 14:07
Are you a new runner Roz?

If so you could follow the last 6 weeks of a half marathon schedule for beginners and see how you go.
Roz
29/08/2003 at 14:09
No, not a new runner, just one getting over injury...fully healthy now, just lost some fitness esp speed! Calf injuries which prevented running up anything with a slight incline!
29/08/2003 at 22:18
I agree with Hilly, follow the last six weeks of the of the 1/2 marathon schedule and you will be fine.
I had some calf injuries this year which prevented training ... just don't overstreach yourself in the early part of the race and do some light warming up before the race.
Have you done a half before and if so what time?
I was 1.57 for my first then struggled with the heat in the second. Have been training pretty hard since then and will do a 10 mile next week for the first time.
25/01/2004 at 19:59
stumpy i have just started training for keswick . i did a 10 k over the 1/2 marathen last year and i can tell u it was hills hills and more hills so you may want to add a bit more hill work for this race .good luck and c u there .
18/09/2005 at 17:00
I'm also planning to run my first half marathon (in Nov) and am training with this schedule. 3 weeks in and all is going well. However, which is slower "Easy" or "Slow" - I just run either of them at my regular plod, but am intrigued to know.
08/06/2006 at 21:51
Hi,

I have recently caught the running bug, and whilst I see the benefit of sticking to 10ks; they being shorter and all. I am hankering after a longer distance, but have not yet taken the silly stick of the marathons.

Is there any great pearls of wisdom that can be shared. I am thinking doing my first half-marathon in October (http://www.aviemorehalfmarathon.org/).

My 10k time hovers around 53-55 minutes.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

GXW
24/08/2008 at 13:09
 am training for my first 1/2 marathon and am two weeks into this schedule, but can I ask what speed I am supposed to be running at?  I do most of my training in the gym on a treadmill at 6mph, so can I ask what speed slow,timed, easy, steady, race pace will all relate to in MPH?
18/09/2008 at 15:45
Hi all, Just stumbled onto you all while looking for some general info about the GNR. Has anyone got any advice about the morning. We're being dropped off at the start at stupid o'clock by our accomodation organizers and not really sure what to do!! As I'm sure it will be cold (possibly even a Monsoon if our great British weather continues ) what's best to wear, how do you keep warm and any other practical advice you can give. A friend suggested I get some stuff from a charity shop and then dump it. Is that race etiquette ? HELP!!
18/09/2008 at 17:29

GXW  the paces should be related to your HR, not a MPH.   i.e. There would be no point in taking paces used by Gabriel Salasie for his training and trying to use them in yours.  There is a pace calculator based on HR on this site somewhere.

Colin

10/02/2009 at 21:51

hi emma as i live in plymouth.. and have done plymouth since 1984 it used to be full marathons then!!

it is a good course with just a little kick in it at 6 miles..  and a little climb at 12 miles.. 5,000 taking part this year.. also its bank holiday so you need to book a hotel early if poss!!

enjoy the race emma.. the goodie bag is also very good..

11/02/2009 at 20:37
Martin have you checked the dates of the post???
08/07/2009 at 18:53
Fortyfiver, A binbag w holes for head and arms works well. GNR is my favourite 1/2 marathon. I hope you enjoy it to.
14/07/2009 at 16:38

Im new to running and 2 weeks into 1/2 marathon training, i live in leicestershire and wanted to know which would be a good first 1/2 marathon for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks Darrell   

15/08/2010 at 15:25

I've loosely been following this sub 1.50 half schedule along with mixing it with the sub 1.25 schedule.

Just wondering why there are only two hill sessions on this one. 

41 to 60 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.