Saturday 14th June 2008

21 to 28 of 28 messages
14/06/2008 at 19:42
sorry 04:30 GMT, the 11:30 is Trini time!
14/06/2008 at 21:48

back from a v full day in N Wales....spectating, supporting, marshalling, and finally, running

in short - a fantastic day out - what a great event the Welsh Castles Relay is

gave it everything on my leg (leg 9, 8.6 miles Foel to Llanfair Caereinion, along A458) & apparently returned a time of 53:35....will wait to see if that's confirmed officially, cos I can't believe I could have been that fast.
With this bug not quite out of my system, the effort's really hittting me now.  Just hope I haven't brought the bug back - again.

More details later if I have the energy to type.....

14/06/2008 at 22:35
Hey, that's good to hear Mike. So glad you got there - and were able to put in such a strong effort. Looking forward to the report.

Oh, and go Comrades go!

14/06/2008 at 22:51

Nice to meet you too Hollywood - you arrived at the start with perfect timing.  It's almost like you've done this race before...

No need to feel rude - we set off for a further rude 5k to add to the 5k warm up for 10 for the day.  I liked the route - a good one for a TT, or indeed something like 3 x 5K @ 160-165 HR...

However, a little multi-terrain underfoot to be ripping up pbs for me.  The previous day, as we were staying in Kew and I had a meeting in Holborn, I decided I'd jog the 5 miles into London.  Turns out it was more like 12 once I'd negotiated my way around.  But what a lovely facade Craven Cottage has!

So today was run at around 10k effort with a short burst in the last 1k to overtake someone wearing a tri suit - needs must and everything.  17:25 and a lovely run in nice surroundings.  And no cost which appeals to the `Barnsley' bit of me.

Well done MikeS on your relay leg.  Reckon the enforced rest will have made your legs very fresh.

14/06/2008 at 22:56
Been lurking for a while, but couldn't resist noting that Hilly ran better than BR at Bushy Park, although BR ran faster.
14/06/2008 at 23:02

Mike S - good running at the relays.  I agree with BR that your legs most probably would have been nice and fresh for the race.

Hollywood - nice to meet you again.  Please don't feel rude, as BR says we were aiming to go around again, but thanks for the offer for the future.  Lovely place to run, it's the first time I've been there.

What: BPTT 

The 5k turned out to be a bit more multi terrain than I expected. About 50% was on grass and the other 50% on gravelly paths. No tarmac. Most people ran about 30 secs slower than on a road 5k.
I ran 19:49, as opposed to 19:28 for my last road effort.

My HR was quite low - around 158-160 for most of the run until the last 1k when I realised I'd better make an effort and it went up to 166! 2 years ago I raced a 10 miler at 165 HR and ran my best marathon at 155. This time my breathing was fine but my legs wouldn't go any faster.

I did feel a slight burning in my chest at 1k, so maybe held back a bit because of this. If it's the case that I ran about 8bpm lower than 5k effort then I'm happy with that as it shows I should be in low 19 min shape when my chest feels better. If not then I'm puzzled as to why my HR doesn't do the `right' thing in races and why I can get a higher HR in a 10 mile race.

14/06/2008 at 23:04
alehouse - yep might be so, but BR was not racing he was doing a tempo run as part of his training week.
Blisters    pirate
14/06/2008 at 23:18

Hello again.

Some good "not racing" by BR and Hilly, and some really good racing by Mike S on the comeback trail.

Just back from my second run of the day, this time I felt tired. And now for some bed, cos I need a bit now and again, and we hopefully have some comrades to track in the morning.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.