Saturday 26th May 2007

21 to 40 of 41 messages
26/05/2007 at 13:26
Well raced Clink & Mike, & some decent training runs elsewhere
Belated congrats on the anniversary NRG

What: 13.2 miles tempo
Why: Saturday run with pals

Very hard going today, probably caused by a truckload of beer and a big curry last night...

South Downs in 3 weeks eek!
26/05/2007 at 13:57
Ok now I understand the Jamaican running culture... They are serious eaters with a running problem. Run 10 miles pre-dawn then fruit, muffins, salt fish, acra, coconut bread, etc etc etc. What a fun crowd to be with!

Will probably do an easy 6 miles later to shake of the calories!
26/05/2007 at 14:47
What: 13 miles steady
Why: Longer run of week
Last hard: Thurs evening
Last rest: a few weeks
26/05/2007 at 16:01
Cheers, Dustin. I always find the morning after the night before is normally "turbo-powered" (paaarp).
26/05/2007 at 16:12
trini - jamaica sounds great fun, had a holiday in tobago once which is a very relaxing place too

M - you must be pleased with the xc, faster than expected and hilly too, well done

mikeS - yes it was dunham last night, i saw morten jogging back to the car park too - he's doing the welsh castles with you
oh yes, the punishment session. definitely brings out the best in you, feel great after too

thanks for the feedback guys. i think the 5k time shows i can afford to do all the 800's at 3.25 on tuesday's session and not hold back if hr is rising.

encouraging noises from NRG - on the mend and sounding lean and mean!

what is the new addition holly - should we be asking how many legs or how many wheels?

good luck to all racers tomorrow. hope weather is not as bad as forcast

26/05/2007 at 16:13
forecast!
26/05/2007 at 16:13
clink - Tobago is my second home, it is very relaxing!
26/05/2007 at 16:14
Afternoon all,
Think thursdays track session caught up with me during yesterday evenings 6-miler, after about 5-miles I completley ran out of energy! lol. Got home and spent the rest of the evening stuffing my face, and felt a lot better this morning thankfully.

What:
am: 11-mile easy paced run on hilly route at 7:43mm pace. Felt a lot better than same route last week, held back a little on pace, and last 3-miles uphill, began to struggle but felt I could have gone on further.

Why:
Aerobic endurance and a few days easier running before harder stuff monday! :)

TOM:
Running can be such a frustrating sport, I have not been injured but my lack of form over recent years has had me in tears at times and at a loss! but keep hanging in there, and eventually things will improve.

My fellow training partner is a v50, he runs masters internationals for Wales,has had a terrible time of injuries, he popped over for a cup of tea a few nights back, and has just about got to the stage of beginning to train again!
26/05/2007 at 16:27
afternoon all

I ran 17.35 today at Bushy, the legs said we are tired at 2kms but I still managed a resonable time. Looks like my recovery is coming on fine.
26/05/2007 at 16:47
Hi there

Well done to MikeS,Pammie and Gobi. Have I missed anyone?

Thank you for all the advice regarding shoes. I am currently rotating 2 pairs Nimbus VII which are good. Bought a pair of Nike Vomero's today (Gobi should be sponsored by Nike) and will see how it goes. They look pretty good though.

What: 10K in 49 minutes.
Why: My 'long' run :o)
Last hard: ....

Happy with this run as it is a hilly route,experienced a bit of pain in the left foot,taking it easy for a week.

Tom - I can write a 5 page essay on my emotions while injured. Let me just say it was one of the worst periods in my life. I could feel the fitness seeping from my body on a daily basis. Hard earned strength just fading away. I was impossible to live with and only the support of my wife,daughter and Gobi got me through that. I am absolutely terrified of getting injured again. You are not alone,someone once said long distance runners are either in the process of getting injured,or recovering form injury. you are strong and will get through this.

Have a good one.
26/05/2007 at 18:04
Well done clink, IronMel and Gobi on your races.

MikeS - sorry you were disappointed with yours, but good to get your fastest time for 2 years.

what:5 miles
why:a nice social run with BR and Nutty.
26/05/2007 at 18:24
Just had a quick read back.

Well raced Clink, Holly (so close to sub 20), Mike S, Gobi. Sorry if I've missed anyone.

I ran a 10k last night which was a very low key affair. Friends commented on the fact that I was still limping but after warming up with no pain, I decided to race.
Not an easy one as lots of off road and hills. Me and the leading lady were subjected to a torrent of abuse and spit as we passed some of the local youths who had gone out too fast and didn't want to be beaten by a woman. I lost her at 4 km when I had to walk through a badly rutted field but slowly gained. At 9 km, I was poised ready to take the lead when I felt a sharp pain in my foot and couldn't bear weight at all. Not a marshall in sight so I had to hop my way to the finish (although I somehow managed to hang on to the second ladies prize). Mr C was torn between being gutted for me being injured and being overjoyed at me winning a crate of beer!

Things are not any better today so I am reluctantly not running my HM tomorrow and taking some time off from running.
26/05/2007 at 18:43
Wabo – I’ve been trying to get to your race reports all week! Finally got to them. :0)

Number 1: stonker half and those last 3 miles sounded not nice at all. AND another 4 races to go! You are quite quite mad Wabo! :0)

Oh crikey Wabs – your calf on the 5 miler. What a bummer and those rocks sound nasty. Amazed you stayed upright! Glad you flew past Bat man you know you would have had him if your calf had been ok. And what a lovely guy that was running in with you too. ..

Reading on now....

Beach run next then! Flippen hec Wabo! But I have this picture in my head now of all of these running peeps in fancy dress running about with kiddies too. What a great race. And you got up that sand dune too. Well done!

Ok so you finish it all of with the marathon!! So you have to do 13 odd hard tough miles with your calf in agony!! That must have been just awful. And then the wind too. Oh boy Wabo – what on earth can I say! What a week you had! Massive respect to you for doing these races and for not giving in. You are one tough cookie that’s for sure! And I will be thinking of you tomorrow when I run my half. If I get self indulgent woosie type thoughts I will be giving my ass a whopping great boot up the jackies and thinking about what you overcame last week. Brilliant stuff Wabo and great great reports too. :0)

Will you post up some piccies for us?
26/05/2007 at 18:50
Clink: Mean? maybe. Lean? Nope. Needs head examining? Most definitely :-)

Tom: What we covet the most often eludes us. Therefore focus on the journey, not the end destination nor the stations of the past. That way at least you can appreciate the things around you right now. Hang in there, buddy.
26/05/2007 at 19:00
wise words, nrg-b!

Sporta - my vomeros seem to have settled in after initially burning the balls of my feet

What: 19 miles incorporating the NDR course
Why: LSR & recce, both of course and body
Last hard: today
Last rest: yesterday

Leg seemed to cope reasonably ok, but not too impressed with fitness level and questioning the point of racing NDR tbh. 2 weeks to go.
IronMelissa    pirate
26/05/2007 at 19:55
Evening,

Hilly - not me racing - you must have mixed me up with someone else.

Scoobs - what time is the half tomorrow? Where would you like me to be???

I ended up on the turbo instead of running today because I wanted the practice in my new bike shoes and pedals. Love them love them love them.
26/05/2007 at 20:05
Agree with Imski - very wise words Nrg-b - we all know what and where we want to be but if we can at least enjoy where we are at the moment, that's half the battle. Happy anniversary Nrg-b - my daughter's just had her 13th!

Some good racing going on, a lot of pain, lots of injuries...

Countdown time now Holly - good 5k!

Well raced, Clink, Mike & M. - sounds painful Caterpillar Girl - hard earned beer!

What: Got my 6100m xcountry race - No 2 on the Grand Prix series out of the way. Always go out too fast, but that's the way I run - always get people telling me to pace myself, but when the 1st VW55 is way ahead of me, I kind of think, well, she's the one I'm supposed to be racing, not the younger vets that I seem to be. Finished 2nd VW55 - got a $20 voucher.
26/05/2007 at 20:07
Good luck Scooby - have a good one!
26/05/2007 at 21:18
Tom - we've all been there, not much to add except get well soon.

What - not been doing much recently but felt pretty OK the last few days so drove over to Kingswinford and did 70 miles on the bike with a mate. Went out round Bridgnorth and Brown Clee - no big climbs like in the Peak but continual up and down and really heavy road surface.
26/05/2007 at 21:41
Ironmel..its starts at 10...a few Forumites are meeting at the lighthouse at 9.30..mind you bet 4000 others have made the same arrangements.... REMEMBER SWRR YELLOW VEST !!!!! number 514

CG weldone on the 10k and second lady prize, what was your time ??
21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.