Saturday 28th December 2013

19 messages
28/12/2013 at 08:02

Morning.

Lyrics - I am the son

Hope you get on with the saddle Blisters. Agree to totally with Gobi on that, it's a very personal thing.

What:               rest or 30 minutes easy
Why:                on the edge of ill and travelling home
Last hard:         22/12
Last rest:          27/12

Yesterday's lyrics were Shopping by The Pet Shop Boys

28/12/2013 at 09:21
d'oh - should have known yesterday's lyrics ...

what: 3 miles easy
why: too motivated and need to reign myself in
last hard: yesterday
last rest: 16/12
lyrics: no
28/12/2013 at 09:46

What: semi-enforced rest day
Why: on call

a bit dreich again here althogh wind dropped for the moment. may get run in on Monday

Cricket - Argh what happened?

Edited: 28/12/2013 at 10:00
28/12/2013 at 11:22

What: Rest, maybe some yoga later

Why: Calf nearly normal, need to stop and rethink for smart training

Lyrics: No clue 

Other Half- Going to resist the Aussie victory dance! 

Anyone catch the Snowman Tri on tele yesterday? the descent on slippery rocks looked terrifying! 

28/12/2013 at 12:26

Thought that happened last game Dibs!

Woudn't be so bad if we'd at least given you a decent fight

Edited: 28/12/2013 at 12:28
28/12/2013 at 12:28

Hello!

Just 4 miles for me this morning but I included 20 x 30s 'fast' with 30s slow recovery.  Took me less than 30 minutes so that was a nice short, sharp session. 

Lyrics - not a hope in hell!  I have been singing I am the resurrection since I read it though - good tune! 

28/12/2013 at 13:01

A'noon

Had my first shift at a local post office sorting office from 10pm -6am last night.

So still tired

It's bouncing hail up here at the moment !

Need to catch up soon.

28/12/2013 at 14:19

Afternoon

What 10ish

Why getting back into things

Lyrics possibly

Birks- is that a permanent job or were you stuck in a cue for the callers office?

Dibs- I would go easy until you are sure that your calf is better. Do you have an Autumn     HM to aim for?

I'm hoping to knock out 15+ tomorrow if I wake up in time as my brother and family are visiting.

28/12/2013 at 14:28

Postie- Bath Half, March 2nd. I am willing to take some time off to make sure I am injury free and can give it a good shot. 

28/12/2013 at 15:16

A'noon

House quiet as Mrs B and Miss B are out for lunch and then shopping.

postie: No I'm registered working for a post office agency. Only found out at about 1pm yesterday so had a sleep for  a couple of hours. It was okay actually.

dibs: Glad your calf is on the mend.

28/12/2013 at 15:25
Dibs - once injury free I expect to hear about a raft of new PBs for you but for now be calm and patient.

What: 90 mins bike d&d
parkrun plus miles d&d. Back ache turned parkrun into a jog(too busy helping out to warm up properly), fixed the cause and did some efforts in the extra miles
Why: Getting ready for 2014 by putting a big week in to counter my eating habits this week.
Last hard: Boxing day
Last rest: 14 October
Lyrics: LOL LMH, am I allowed to say you may have used this a few times over the years. I think I have used lyrics from the same song.
Blisters    pirate
28/12/2013 at 15:37

Oooooooof

Today's bike ride was discussed and acknowledged as variously "tough", "you'll enjoy it", or a "monster". Only 45 miles, but billed as the 10 hills. It loops around a bit, so everyone has the option to bail out and never be too far from home. In fact, it was anticipated to be a battle of attrition.
I managed to get as far as 6 hills, before deciding that I was done for, with an allowance that I still had to ride home. I think that we started with 15 riders, and 6 dropped before I did. So that was 2748 feet of climbing, varying from about 1:8 to 1:5. The big boys will have done 4384 feet of climbing.

I may be able to get a link for you

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5346409#.Urx7oiJ23Dg.email

28/12/2013 at 16:06

Afternoon all,

Nice one Blisters

3.5m run to and from parkrun, with a hard effort there (20:27) so 10.1m for the day

Now vegging and eating up the last bits of Christmas food before plan and weight loss kicks in next week.

Take care

28/12/2013 at 16:47

Afternoon all

Frustrating day.  Got up at 6;30 to enable me to get to the nearest parkrun in time.  Walked the 30 mins to the station as was too icy to run.  Got the train to the town.  Walked the 40 min walk as otherwise would have been too early.  After the 1.5 hour journey, arrived to find the event was cancelled.  No notice on website or facebook page, and even worse, no organisers had bothered to turn up and actually tell anyone it was off.  Had 30 mins before next train, so ran 25 mins back to station and around it to use up the time, and got the train back to my Dad's town.  He then very kindly picked a very disgruntled me up from the station!  Anyway, 4 km done, but not very satisfying!

Is this going to be a regular thing Birks?
chicka, why do you need to reign it back a bit?

28/12/2013 at 17:41

Evening!

I hear your frustration, Emz!

Birks: hope you get more Postie work! I think it is in my blood: my father, grandfather and greatgrandfather clocked over 120 years in the service between them!

LMH: re Jess, I know the Trafford people expect to see her competing in the odd comp for them although I hear that she may move to City of Sheffield for whom she is second claim, I believe. And I should back off your training! Your body will have taken quite a hammering last week even if you don't think so!

Dibs: The key to progress is consistent progressive consistency! Lots of steady running, with a long run and a medium long run of two-thirds to three quarters of the time. I, too, work on time, so if your long run is an hour, the medium long run is 40 to 45 mins; if the long run is 100 mins the medium long run is 60 to 75 mins. By progressive I mean either an increase in time, an increase in the numbers of runs or an increase in speed. This time last year I was recovering from an Achilles op: when I eventually could run I built up very, very slowly which has by and large ensured that I am injury free, a few niggles apart. Once I could run for 30 mins I took about 10 weeks to increase the long run to 60 mins by adding on no more than 5 minutes a week. Once I got to 60 minutes I tried to cover slightly more ground whilst retaining the 60 minutes for a few weeks before increasing the time again. Almost all of my running is off-road which both helps with steering clear of lower leg injuries but also helps with building strength: I would estimate that 30 mins off road is probably worth 40 mins on the roads. Tom (a former poster...where are you?!) used to say "Slowly, slowly catchee monkey" and I now think he is right. Speed seems to come via strength: LMH, for one, rarely runs anything fast, with lots of long slow runs, but with pleasing quick race times.

What: 35 mins mainly off road
Why: consistent consistency

Lyrics are familiar, so that's no again.

RFJ: I feel the Fulham pain!

Edited: 28/12/2013 at 17:55
28/12/2013 at 17:57

Hi
Nice work Blisters but very frustrating Emz
Dibs - listen to Ale (et al.) wise words
what - up early but couldn't face a run in the dark so left it until this afternoon for an easy 4 miles over the fields (or should I say lakes). Shoes got a wash so that's a bonus. Earlier today set up the course and recorded for the club's annual xc races. Limited to our club's runners only to give the U9s and U11s a xc race. Sun even came out!
Why - warm up for xc race tomorrow - first all out effortsince tweaking the knee last month
last rest - 25th
last hard - dunno
lyric - I know one song with this line..

28/12/2013 at 18:38

Gobi - I may have used these lyrics before, they suit my impatient nature

Alehouse - I took the rest day. I'm getting better at this see  To be fair I think a night sleeping in my own bed after a week of not the best sleep will probably help a lot.

You sound as though you've recovered quickly from your night shift birks. Hope you get some more (if it's what you want).

That's naughty emzap - wouldn't have taken them much to publish the fact it wasn't on would it?

Dibs - the patience will pay off.

Safely home and with the first lot of washing in the machine........

28/12/2013 at 18:44

Very wise, LMH! I've not slept well with visitors, late nights, early mornings etc. We need the consistent consistency of routine!

28/12/2013 at 20:20

It's been a week Alehouse and nice as it was I'm pleased to be home I have to say. I'm still really surprised by how well I seem to have recovered from Portsmouth but know that I need to keep a lid on my natural enthusiasm if I'm to be fit for Brass.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.