Saturday 2nd June 2007

21 to 40 of 41 messages
Ultra AJH    pirate
02/06/2007 at 12:48
Good luck Clink!

Hope you heal soon Pammie and wabo.

Good luck everyone else racing today (Gobi, can you pole vault? I cant imagine being able to do that!)

of course good luck to the pirates.

M, good going on the weight loss :-)

What: just cycled almost 32 miles
Why: I wanted to see if I was able to cycle to where swim training is held. I can (well I just did) but I must leave more time so that I can have a little rest before I swim!and take a big bar of chocolate to have before I cycle back :-D
02/06/2007 at 13:23
What - went out on chain gang, we ended up doing 70 miles up into the Derbyshire hills and back - not been doing much recently so spent much of it hanging off the back and chasing back. Still 70 miles in 3 and a half hours has to be good for me.
flyaway    pirate
02/06/2007 at 14:06
Hello,

First off, good luck to the Pirates at Bala! Hope the weather stays nice for them.

10k race at Keevil Airfield
I hadn't raced a 10k before, so I wasnt very sure what sort of pace I needed to do. It was also very hot, and there isnt a right lot of shade on an airfield!! (funny, that!). Anyway, I actually pretty much raced at my HM speed i think, so I should have gone a bit faster, but I will know that for next time. Its a tough distance, isnt it, cos you have to go fast, but its a fairly long way...
Anyway, it was two laps, managed a 27/23 negative split, but that showed I should have gone a lot quicker. Never mind though. Bang on 50mins, and I guess thats a PB since its my first!!
I have another one in 3 weeks, so will so more speed work and see if I can pace the next one a bit better. :)

Oh, and hubby thinks I was top 15 women, so might MAYBE have been top 5 in my age group. He says the mens winner was 33:35 which seems slow for men, so maybe the heat affected everyone!!

I had fun anyway and I got a medal which I didnt know we were going to get, so a fun morning.

What: 10k race. Will either bike or swim later on.
Why: I'm supposed to be a triafferlete in a week!
Last hard: Hmm, maybe today?
Last rest: Thursday

I dont know the lyrics.
02/06/2007 at 15:08
What: 9.3 miles easy/steady (6:45 avg)
Why: Not a long run, but longer than yesterday (legs still ached a little)
Last hard: Thursday
Last rest: a few weeks

Legs are generally feeling nice now.
02/06/2007 at 15:48
well done Flyaway.

The first 10k I did was 50 mins. me and Hilly came in together. Some time ago now!!!

Good luck with the next one. I am sure you will do well.

02/06/2007 at 16:17
Great race Flyaway..50 mins is a very good time for a first 10k, not an easy distance is it ? it seems like a spprint fromthe start..which I suppose it is
SGQ
02/06/2007 at 17:03
Afternoon,

Well run, flyaway - 10ks are tough, I agree.

What: 5.5 miles this morning
Why: getting back into it after a heavy cold
Last hard: this morning
Last rest: yesterday

It was hot this morning in Wiltshire and I'm still not back to normal running speed after the cold I had. But I wasn't expecting to end up walking up the last hill today. Of course, that had to be the point where two friends drove past me! Why does it always happen like that?

Anyway, onward and upward - first two runs back after the cold were pretty good, but today was a disappointment. Let's see what tomorrow brings...
02/06/2007 at 17:04
Good race Flyaway; if you want to do another one then it must be right for you! Keep working at the training and you will be finishing in the top5 women soon!

Thought it was time to report in as I've been doing other things this week. Went down to Deal for a couple of days to sample the transport systems of the country and see the sights. Not been there for 15 years (since I tried out for the Marines in 1992) and it seems a lot quieter now than it was. Didn't run though, so rested nicely.

What: Thursday evening after 6 hrs on trains. Felt knackered but managed a steady 6M in 49mins.

Friday: 20M bike ride in 90mins; 1.4M trot then hour of pilates

Today: my leg of the Barnsley Boundary there (5M or so, 'cos I went wrong several times)in 47mins then all the way back (4.2M it says for the route) in 39mins.
Pleased now as that's my longest run since December in time and distance!
Why: to try to get back my mojo
Last hard: yesterday's bike ride
Last rest: Tues and Weds

Just looked back in my records and my first 10k was the Barnsley 10k in 1999 and I did 42:47. Hmmm, those were the days!
02/06/2007 at 18:20
Evening All.

flyaway. Im glad you enjoyed your 1st 10k race, and well done on your medal.

another 7 miles this evening done and dusted.

Good Runnings everyone.
02/06/2007 at 19:41
Greetings all,

Well done Flyaway.

What - 65 mins in the gym (40m on elliptical and 25 on the bike)

Why - not allowed to run still.....

Last Hard - not being able to run for 16 days now and counting....

Last rest - from running 16 days.

Take care, off to Anglesey tomorrow for a week.
02/06/2007 at 20:03
stick in there RFJ, hopefully things will settle for you

great 10k flyaway - it is a difficult distance to pace and in such heat with no shelter, you'll be lopping lumps off that time on a better day

nice to see FL racing again and sounding upbeat about it, hope you get some more races lined up now

quick report from hollins green 5k -

very hot indeed. a combination of the heat and the 100m sprints i did on thursday meant i was almost half a minute slower than last week's race and this is an easier course. though it's a measured course i think the individual markers were a bit dodgy - even i can't run this unevenly. a lady called mary (i kept hearing shouts of come on mary!) passed me just after 1k with a couple of men. they gained about 20-30 metres and held it but didn't gain any more. i picked off 4 individual runners in the remainder of the race and got passed by 2 so i don't think i faded too badly but it was hard work -
4.07 see what i mean about the markers

feel as if there aren't enough days in the week to fit in all the sessions at the moment and next 5k is thursday so need to carefully think this week's schedule.
if legs ok will have to try a longish run in the morning and then the 800's maybe tuesday and hopefully recover by thursday
02/06/2007 at 20:35
flyaway
Congrats on your 10k PB, I'm sure you'll beat it soon. I did a good time on my first 10K, took 2 years to beat it!

What: Rest
Why: Exmouth 10K tomorrow
02/06/2007 at 20:43
flyaway well done on your debut 5km

clink sorry it didn't go as you'd like, but with the fast unning you did do earlier in the week and the heat probably did effect it. It will come together

Good luck for Thursday though
02/06/2007 at 20:53
Sodahead - I have done NF marathon and have to say it's not that bad. The hills are not steep, they're long and steady apart from a couple near the end.

NR - it was 49 mins not 50:-))

Peter - sorry to read you DNF the 100k.

flyaway - it takes a few attempts to get used to racing 10ks. The mistake most people make in their first ones is setting off too quick.
02/06/2007 at 21:06
Evening hilly
My last 10K was my "comeback race". That was 49 minutes as well. A tad quicker tomorrow I hope!
02/06/2007 at 22:00
Evening all GOD I AM SLOW

I ran 2.28 in the 800

AND

4.52 in the 1500, I was faster in the last 800 metres than I was in the BLOODY 800.

I did one jump in the Pole Vault cleared the minimum height and retired with my one point earned.

Got lucky in the 4 x 400 relay as we were very last so I just jogged round.
02/06/2007 at 22:13
Hilly

Sorry mate!! Long time ago and age is getting the better of my memory!!

02/06/2007 at 23:44
what: 8m
why: recovery, but turned into fastest time on this course this year. Must be the 400s.
last hard: thursday
last rest: 403
03/06/2007 at 00:01
Good evening....moving on from last Tuesday's downbeat post. I ran again today, although it was a pretty painful experience, it wasn't as "aweful" as Tuesday last. I managed 5.2 miles the furthest I've run since the start of April, though it hurt a lot. Pace was 6:54 per mile, though I expect I won't be able to run tomorrow. However by Monday pm I should be able to cope again. I'm hoping to carry this uncomfortable equilibrium through to next Friday when I hope to get to the bottom of my injury problems,

Prety upbeat...huh
03/06/2007 at 00:10
Gentle post......remove matey/mate?!:-))
21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.