Saturday 2nd March 2013

21 to 33 of 33 messages
Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 17:21

5km County Road Race Championships.

Didn't know what the legs had in them, but went out and gave it everything.
Time 20:32, which a smidgen over 6:30m/m, so I'm, well pleased with that.
Won a packet of choc chip cookies and a County Medal for my efforts.

02/03/2013 at 17:27

Nice one, Blisters! And with bike miles and swim kms in the legs too!

02/03/2013 at 17:30

Good racing RFJ and Blisters - choc chip cookies - must be one of the best prizes ever!

02/03/2013 at 19:48
OK - head over parapet time.

To those who acknowledged my previous post(s) - thanks, the sentiments are much appreciated.

Stickless - good to see you still functioning. the Hereward Relay was rerun last week having been postponed from early last November. My club (Fenland AC) had seven teams in it, though sadly I missed both the original and rerun dates through injury. It's a shame as I was keen to give it a go - perhaps next time.

Alehouse - careful with that calf. My uni alma maters were Andy Holden and Malcolm Thomas...though I was strictly B-team fodder.

RFK - enjoy Bath. Beware the first mile slightly downhill, because it's also the last mile considerable (!) uphill - though the finish on Great Poultney Street is pretty cool. I've got some very pleasant experiences there, won a few vets awards there between 2004 and 2006....and also got a glimpse of Blisters and Hilly.

Donaldo - really enjoyed your post this morning...very "Mr Chips"

For myself - I got my injury fixed last week. Sacro-Iliac joint mobilised - had to wait 8 weeks for the appointment (Mark Buckingham - my current hero). Hurt like bloody hell but worth it. I'm now jogging pain free, but totally unable to engage with anyone on club night. My main annoyance is that I took the injury to a local physio two months ago who disagreed with the SIJ diagnosis, despite the fact that this is the fourth time it's collapsed since 2005!

Oh and lyrics...yes, which is the main reason I posted...that and Alehouse's jaunt with the Doc!
Blisters    pirate
02/03/2013 at 20:05

Tom, would that be the time that Hilly and I shared a bin bag to keep warm?

- oh, and BRILLIANT NEWS about the SI joint fix.

02/03/2013 at 20:18

Great news, Tom! Or is that "Great New Tom"? Onwards and upwards! Hope to gradually hear more from you over the coming weeks. I see two of Holden's sons quite often: they are prominent Alehouse members, and I used to know their Auntie Cathy quite well. I have only ever seen Malcolm Thomas from the back! Ron's take on physios today was quite funny: half of them don't know what they are doing. The trouble is you don't know which half.

02/03/2013 at 20:58

Excellent news about the SI joint Tom.  Not very forgiving joints, the SI.  Proceed with due caution.

alehouse wrote (see)

half of them don't know what they are doing. The trouble is you don't know which half.

I think with a lot of these things suck it and see is the only way to deal with it. I certainly tried a lot of things during the stick years.  Some of them did work. A bit. But every bit helps.

Speaking of bits.  Glute meds v. weak.  Have thought of trying to get some roller blades and skating as cross training.  I imagine that might help.  Thoughts?

02/03/2013 at 20:59
Alehouse - I always think of sports therapists as being like plumbers with a bag of tools looking for a leak to fix. The diagnosis and treatment is determined not by the nature of the injury but by the expertise of the therapist in question. So soft tissue therapists (massage), podatrists (people who sell you orthotics), osteopaths (skeletal manipulation), GPs (take a painkiller and rest it) and physios (identifiers of muscular weakness - do these exercises) and chiropractors (mind and body holistic mumbo-jumbo) all leave you feeling desperate and confused....

....personally I'd vote Ukip, if Nigel Farage could fix my injury problems permanently........though I'd draw the line at Nick Griffin's powers of regeneration.

It's as it always was, a runner has two states of fitness...either injured or in the process of getting injured
02/03/2013 at 21:11

Let's hope that there is a third state of fitness: the process of getting uninjured!

02/03/2013 at 21:15

Evening all!

Tom: nice to hear the SI problem is fixed. Hope it keeps that way- any idea how to prevent it from collapsing?

Alehouse: good return to 5k- you're still running faster than me, easily, so nothing to worry about 

Stickless: not bad training after a tiring week, and while plagued with stiffness.

What: 1hr pilates class

Why: what Tom, Alehouse and Stickless have been discussing: not sure which bit will help, but between an osteopath, a podiatrist, and some classes in yoga, taiji and pilates I seem to be coping much better with building up the miles, and keeping niggles at bay. Some muscle strength is also welcome. (A gnat could wrestle me down, srsly)

Last hard: Friday's stairs

Last rest: Wednesday/today

ETA: ooh chock chip cookies, Blisters? Nice! Well done!

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 21:15
02/03/2013 at 21:48

Tom, thanks and hope all can get sorted one way or another....

Well done on the cookies Blisters (and the medal)

02/03/2013 at 21:49

ale: Oh right never knew that. Got his 2 part autobiography books. The Long Hard Road . Cracking reads

Tom: good to have you back..

02/03/2013 at 22:58

No serious racing for me this weekend, did Oldham parkrun in 19.25 this morning but am otherwise anchored to the house awaiting deliveries as am moving back to Manchester. Pleased with the time as my training has been basically rubbish. As has my keeping up here. Best of luck tomorrow RFJ. Glad to hear you're on the mend Tom. Good running Blisters.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.