Shades Marathon Training

31,541 to 31,560 of 66,812 messages
06/10/2009 at 19:26

Elspeth - I would say it was the cold, you did so well to do that time with a cold.  

Not many marathons left for any of us this year, I've only got 4 left for 2009, then on with some serious training.  Have you entered Lochaber yet?

Must go and eat, Baxters soup anyone?   Don't think I'll be eating that for a while after carrying it home, my case was 2kg heavier on the way home!

06/10/2009 at 19:53
Those tins never weighed 2 kg what else you been smuggling back from Scotland
06/10/2009 at 19:54
Fudge
06/10/2009 at 19:54

okay...25:33..9:51 pace - that better?...love the feeling post-run.

Hi Shades *waves* - this shadey has been a let-down these last 6 months but I'm gonna make it up to ya..and did you ever get your "forever walker" friend running?

HY4 - injured or lost mojo? Sorry if I have missed it - not been about much.

Hi Elspeth - how's Orkney? How's the Jog Scotland thing going?

HM4
06/10/2009 at 20:01

BBS,

A bizarre & unexplained groin/hip strain about 3-5 days before my 5k put any chances of a pb out of my mind.  I think I could have managed to walk round (just) however because I want to do a marathon in the spring helped me make my decision.  If I can get up to 6-10 milles before Christmas & entries to Stratford are still open that's the target.  If not I've got suggestions of autumn marathons.

06/10/2009 at 20:13

BBS - Orkney's good but winter beginning to set in. The Jogscotland group is doing pretty well with quite a few folk out every week - even in the rain - and they are all improving much more quickly than the old fogie "leaders". Having started as a women's group we have two men coming too. Glad to hear you're getting back out there.

Shades - Just looked at pricing for travel to Exeter from here and you are right, it would cost a ridiculous amount! So guess I should enter Lochaber - will do eventually. We need more Scottish marathons!

06/10/2009 at 20:14

I'll review the situation on Thursday, but I think you are right and I need more time off.

--------------------

Now, for all you medical people on here, do any of you work in General Surgery, perhaps as a post-operative nurse?  If so, would you be able to message me away from the forum, as I have a question relating to my situation.

06/10/2009 at 20:16
Feel free to e mail me Mr Bump but of course it's difficult to give definite advice without seeing someone. I work in very general surgery, Orkney style so we probably do things a bit differnetly here.
06/10/2009 at 20:27

Elspeth - I've mailed you!  Many thanks for offering.  I appreciate you can't offer specific advice, but I just wanted to know whether I was worrying over nothing! 

I'm sure that if you do things differently on Orkney, they work very well.

06/10/2009 at 20:48
Mr B - It doesn't seem to have arrived - odd.
06/10/2009 at 21:00
I sent it as a personal message fromthis site because I don't have your e-mail.  Perhaps check if any anti-spam software you hve hasn't captured it?
06/10/2009 at 21:03

I think there's a problem with RW mail - if you don't mind I could mail Mr B your address Elspeth?

Have read back but it's nearly bedtime (I'm crackered) and I can't remember anything! Glad to hear that some are on the mend, hope the others soon join them.

06/10/2009 at 21:07
LMH - Yes, that's fine, probably heading for an early night too as early start tomorrow.
06/10/2009 at 21:12

Will do it now before I log off!

Night, night.

06/10/2009 at 21:38

Shades, glad your calf is ok and you're out running. I can barely walk!  Staying out until midnight eh? I'm impressed

Elspeth, I think your cold would have definately played a factor and you should be very proud of yourself for what you achieved. Have you organised 'The Shadie Orkney Marathon' yet??!!  MrMacs got the cold too.

BBS, nice to 'see' you again. You are NOT a let down

VR, yes - I did mean this November but it looks like it may be a no-go  MrMac is involved in a court case related to his work and they've announced today its starting the week he was due leave and also when the race was on  Probably just being on a silly post-race high thinking I'm invincible when I'm not!  Fancied the 100 mile race

06/10/2009 at 21:47

Mrs Mac - Oh dear, sharing germs with everyone it seems. Sorry, hope he gets better fast.

I know what you mean about post race madness, seriously thought about the Cornwall one until I looked at travel prices! November can be awful to travel from here anyhow.

Orkney Marathon - now that's an idea, after all if the Western Isles can do it!!!

06/10/2009 at 21:54

Elspeth - You have mail. 

The Orkney Marathonm sounds a great idea.  Would it be multi-lap or are there 26 miles of road on the mainland?

By the way, do you get lots of snow in Orkney?

06/10/2009 at 22:10

Plenty of road, difficulty would be getting enough folk to come up here to run an event, certainly wouldn't volunteer to organise it myself, though I would help. We have a good half marathon or three though if anyone is tempted.

Not much snow, maybe once or twice a year for a few days but it tends to blow about a bit which can be a problem, but we're too near the sea for heavy snow.

Reply sent - may be too vague to be of much help, we will have to fly you up for a proper opinion! Thought coming up for a run would be more enjoyable.

07/10/2009 at 07:05

Keith - Only sweat from 2 sets of running kit and my Baxters goodie bag was extra in my bag.   The fudge was in my handbag, along with my Chanel which I forgot to put in my little plastic bag at the airport , hence a security search at the airport.....he didn't take my Chanel off me though

BBS - my forever beginner running friend is in Turkey for 2 weeks losing any fitness that she had...although she will tell me that they did loads of walking.   We are making some progress but not much.

HY4 - you should be OK to enter Stratford early in 2010, but it does fill earlier every year as there's a strong RW and Fetchie following for this race now, especially for those that don't like VLM

LB - hope you're OK

VR - hope your cold isn't too bad

MrsMac - I'm sure you'll find another challenging event to replace that 100 miler.   sorry to hear Mr Mac has the Nessie cold too.

Elspeth - hope the foot has returned to normal size today

Mr Bump - glad you're feeling a little better, but go and get that sick note ASAP

8 miles for me today, calf much the same, sore to stretch but OK to run.

07/10/2009 at 07:16

Glad they didn't take your Chanel Shades!

Run intervals done (on treadie as it was very dark at 0600hrs), work next and then a turbo this afternoon - it's all fun!

Mrs Mac - work. Pah!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.