Shades Marathon Training

57,401 to 57,420 of 66,785 messages
03/10/2012 at 19:05

Shades - Mowser has done LN with us, don't you remember her having to lie down on the chairs as she felt ill. Plus we had a little tussle coming into the finish line. I couldn't get passed her!   
I would like to do it again ome day.

03/10/2012 at 19:49

Was that the year i brought Fudge?

03/10/2012 at 23:50

Yes

04/10/2012 at 07:03

VR - oh yes of course I now remember that mowzer felt a bit woosy when we were stuffing our faces in the food tent after the race.

Emmy - easy/tempo is fine, it's the aerobic training that will get you that sub 5.   But if you want to do an odd fartlek session or mile reps and don't feel tired, then do so.

I believe Malta is not a tough course.

04/10/2012 at 07:08

Emmy - just looked up Malta results for this year and quite a few over 5 hours so don't let the 'time limit' prey on your mind and spoil your race

04/10/2012 at 07:53

Morning all,

I've never been so sodden in all my life! Just been out for my MWLR (10 miles) and it rained the entire time - it's a good thing that my skin is waterproof! I can't wait for my new jacket to turn up! I did actually get a round of applause from some lorry drivers! It's not a nice morning today!

@Shades - thanks for the advice. I'll continue with Level 2 and then add in what I can. My aim for each marathon is to try and aim for something - whether that's sub 5, running in fancy dress - or whatever Aren't you planning to run Leicester this weekend?

@Keith - do you often bring fudge along?... If yes, can you send me your race plan so I can follow you around

How is everyone else getting on?

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 07:53
04/10/2012 at 08:20

Emmy - hope that jacket arrives soon.

I'm at Mablethorpe this weekend, a lot of driving but a marathon I haven't done before

04/10/2012 at 18:43

Lol no not often, VR insisted from memory. It did make a novel pre raace snack though.

Funnily enough i have the stuff to make some this weekend

05/10/2012 at 07:04

Was lying in bed last night listening to the torrential rain and hoping it would stop for my run this morning as I needed to do a test run in a new pair of shoes ready for Sunday's race.   Thankfully it did stop so no wet feet this morning.

Picked up a couple of niggles from Loch Ness marathon and they are still with me so will need to be a bit careful this weekend

05/10/2012 at 07:52

Morning Shadies

@Shades - What niggles did you pick up? Nothing serious I hope?

@Keith - you got my hopes up then!

My package arrived yesterday so i'm looking at taking them out today or tomorrow for a little try out before the race on sunday. It's blowing a gale out there today!

05/10/2012 at 08:22

Emmy - what arrived, your new jacket?

Must order another pair of shoes now on my last new pair for racing.   Anyone see good priced Brooks GTS Adrenaline, please let me know.

At 5 miles into LN marathon my calf muscles started to hurt (at which point I remembered this happened the last time I did this race) as the first few miles are downhill.   Had a sore left calf after the race and DOMS in both legs (calf muscles only).  DOMS has gone but I can still feel my left calf.  

Other niggle is a sore spot under the ball of my right foot which I've Googled and can't find any diagnosis at all.  Not sore to touch or stretch only when weight bearing and not all the time.   Not a stress fracture have tested for that.

Apart from that I'm fine

05/10/2012 at 08:35

Hiya Shades - Yes - I bought the jacket that you recommended. It's great quality and so bright! I'll have a look around on some sites for the Brooks GTS Adrenaline.

What will you do for the niggles in your calf? Stretching? or also some physio?

05/10/2012 at 13:12

Emmy - the Brooks jacket on M & M?  The half zip top that I got in dayglo yellow is fab quality too.

A bit of stretching and some ibuprofen for the calf

Ibuprofen for the foot

...and try and forget about them, sometimes there's nothing like a marathon for getting rid of an injury

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 13:12
06/10/2012 at 10:18

Good luck to VR today doing her 98th marathon today..  and anyone else racing this weekend.

Shopping all done, off to pack, long drive today.   Back on line, late Monday

Have a good weekend folks

07/10/2012 at 12:02
Hi to all,
Hope everyone's races went well today. VR - 98th marathon, that's pretty good going!
Did a 10 mile run this morning, it was really misty which I love but it's definitely getting colder. Going to have to start wearing my gloves soon as I get really cold hands.

Shades - I'm doing a 10 mile race 2 weeks today. Am I ok to do a long run next w/end and then a short easy run early the next week?

Happy Sunday everyone!
07/10/2012 at 15:13

VR- well done on your 98th. You are crazy but i am in awe!

Shades- Glad to hear that you had a good weekend at LN (despite all the new niggles). Did you see the Mac's or Elspeth?

I hope everyone else had a good running weekend

I did the royal parks half this morning- a lovely race through London and the sun was shining too I didn't feel very positive when i set off at 6am this morning. I havent slept very well for the last few nights (the stress of buying a new house) and woke up feeling shattered. I got chatting to a woman at the start and ran with her for the first few miles but she was a bit fast for me (just under 8 minute miles). My claf muscles stiffened up at the halfway mark and i just couldn't make my legs go any faster.

I finished in 1.51 garmin time (not sure of chip time yet). Trains were delayed on the way home but am now home and watching DVD's in bed with the kids I am totally wiped out and cant bring myself to tackle the washing mountain.

07/10/2012 at 23:13

Shades - while eating a big doner kebab tonight i changed my forum name to Khanivore. This is Tortuga btw. Sorry to cause confusion. 

08/10/2012 at 08:34

Why the name change Khanivore? You dont eat those disgusting things do you?

Hi Si J   Sorry to hear you're not sleeping well. When do you move? and well done on your half. Thats a good time.
I believe Elspeth was supporting OH who did LN and they met up with the Macs for dinner.

Plus.. I heard that Mowser got a sub 4 at Mablethorpe Marathon and won her age Cat. Amazing!

I took a club mate to The Reverse Enigma on Saturday. We both finished on what was quite a warm sunny day! Lovely. Just 2 more to go.

08/10/2012 at 08:39

VR - I sure do! They ensure I stay relatively healthy during the week.I don't eat them that often to be fair. Normally I go for shish kebab (skewers with charcoal grilled lamb and chicken) for my weekend treat.

I do need to be more careful what I eath though. I have 1 stone to lose and I put on weight this week.

Si J - I hope your house move gets sorted soon. It is the most stressful thing. Well done on the half - hopefully it resulted in a good nights sleep?

08/10/2012 at 08:41

Morning everyone!

@Si J - Well done on the Royal Parks Half. It was a bit cold to start off with but a lovely day. I managed 2.17. I was on track for 2.10 but my left quad started to really tighten in the last two miles so i took it really easy.

@Khanivore... Lol, whatever floats your boat.

@VR - Well done on the reverse enigma! When is your next one before Dublin?

@Shades - How was your weekend?

Well done to Mowser for the sub 4!

Today is a stretch/foam roller day. If anyone has any good quad stretches - please send them over... :/

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.