Shades Marathon Training

57,421 to 57,440 of 66,756 messages
08/10/2012 at 09:10

Morning Emmy. Well done on your half too!

My next one is with my club trip. We are going to do Marato Del. Mediterrani. Its near Barcelona on the coast. Cant wait!

Khanivore - Do you know how many calories are in those thngs???  Zillions!
Would undo all your hard work from the week. Ditch them! 
But of course its your life!

08/10/2012 at 09:36

VR - ooh! That sounds lovely! Do you have any spare room in your suitcase?

I agree about the kebab... I remember seeing on supersize vs. superskinny - someone that ate kebabs on a regular basis and they broke it down to is 'really' in a kebab... I've not eaten once since!

08/10/2012 at 16:35

Yesterday I did my long slow run and the day before I did my long bike ride of the week. Both were rather hilly. This is the first time I have really needed my rest day because my leg muscles are sore.

It is a nice kind of sore. Not painful. I just feel like I have used my legs and every time I even think about using the cycle turbo trainer in my garage my legs remind me my performance would not make it worthwhile. 

It's a wonderful feeling Roll on tomorrow - by when I hope my legs will allow me to run again!

I think it is the hills in both my ride and my run that have led to this. I shall keep including them in my training.

VR I eat a doner kebab at most once a month - normally I opt for the sheesh kebabs which are grilled meat. I think it is important to have these treats now and then. They help me stay on track

08/10/2012 at 17:44

i have bad DOMS today i usually drink some milk in some form or another after the race which prevents it but yesterday i had chicken noodle soup instead

VR- We have been gazumped twice now on houses we have tried to buy.We put an offer in on a house on Saturday but someone else put in the same offer and the vendors are now deciding who to sell it to! The housing market has definitely started moving. Well done on your 98th. I wish i was coming to Dublin to see your prize giving at the pub afterwards. i received a message from Elspeth today- was lovely to hear from her.

Mowzer- well done on a sub 4 hour i know its not the first time you have gone sub-4 but its amazing that you can still pull that kind of time out of te bag when you are doing so many.

Emmy- well done! Maybe it was the very cold start that led to the muscle problem. I have never suffered with tight muscles in a race but i did on Sunday.

Khanivore- a bit of aching in the muscles is a good sign as it shows you have challenged them Drink some milk and have a recovery runand  they will be fine.

08/10/2012 at 19:24

Slowkoala - yes that's absolutely fine as prep for your 10 mile race.   Just keep that long run pace down.

SiJ - well done, that's a good time.   It does seem that you are overtired and a bit stressed at the moment with the house situation and setting off at a fast pace and then having to slow down would explain the DOMS.    The cold weather wouldn't have helped at all, my muscles get stiff running in cold weather too.

I saw Mrs Mac at Loch Ness, she came and found me when she heard my name being announced at the finish line.

Khanivore - LOL at the name change.  I'm another one that wouldn't eat a donor kebab

Seems like your training is going well, when is your half marathon?

Emmy - well done, that's not far off your PB is it?   How's the quad?   Avoid any downhill running until it eases.

Just checked those shoes and not my size unfortunately, I need a 7.

Mablethorpe is a lovely marathon, beautifully organised, lovely 2 lap course, great marshals and nice scenery.  Really enjoyed it.   Was nursing my sore calf round and managed to squeeze in under 5 hours, 4.59.04!  My calf is no worse from doing the marathon, I wore a new pair of shoes.

Mowzer did 3.49!!!, brilliant running and won her age category.

Drove as far as Bromsgrove last night, had a lovely 5 mile recovery run on some quiet village roads there this morning then drove the rest of the way home.

08/10/2012 at 19:44
Shades I have a 10k in a couple of weeks and then my half marathon is in 18th November If I had know about the London parks one I would have done that but somehow I didn't see it coming.

I have run 5 miles at 8:30 min/mile in training. It was tough but I did it. I am going to see if I can do my 10k at this pace
08/10/2012 at 19:57
@sij - I think you're right. I didn't have anything until a few hours after finishing... I didn't even get my post race beer!

@shades. That's a shame about the shoes - I'll keep a look out for you as I'm currently trawling the websites on the look out for good buys!
Well done on the race! That's an absolutely fantastic time! What was the weather like? Was it as cold as in London? It's good to hear that your calf is not complaining too much. Are you now resting up for Dublin?

I need to check when the 'official' results come in but it could be very close to my PB/ beating it. The quad is still a little sore so I'm stretching it out and will see how it is tomorrow morning. I was glad because I ran to the start to add a few miles on as a warm up so all in all I'm happy. I need to sit down this week and sort out my paces for the training plan. I'm doing 8k easily in 50mins so I need to adjust slightly.

@tort....ivore the royal parks half became a ballot this year so it's pure luck to get in with a regular place. It's a good run though and would recommend it.

A BIG well done to Mowser for winning her age group!!!!

Has anyone heard from Bootsie and how's she's recovering?
09/10/2012 at 00:16

Hi folks.

Well done to Shades, VR, Emmy and SiJ on recent races .

Great to meet up with Shades at Mablethorpe. Agree that it is a lovely marathon (except that the half marathoners had used up all the hot water in the showers). I set out way too fast  but as I felt good I decided not to slow down on purpose and to carry on as far as possible, then slow down 'naturally' as it caught up with me.  I thought the last two miles along the sea-front were going to finish me off, but there were more runners towards the end (ones I'd caught up with and others who were catching up with me) so I managed to keep going and got a new pb (3:49:57 chip time, 3:51:01 gun). Bit hot during the race, but afterwards Shades and I sat outside in the sunshine chatting and drinking tea. Very relaxed atmosphere for a marathon and I'd recommend it to anyone (unless you love hills ). 

Had a lie in this morning , then later I managed a slow recovery run, but calves ached a bit.

09/10/2012 at 06:54

mowzer - well done, that's a cracking PB.  It is a lovely race and although I was dreading the section in the 2nd lap along the prom, I loved it as the wind had just changed direction enough so it wasn't a problem.

Khanivore - you should be on for a very good PB at your 10k then.

Emmy - I hope you did a PB, you deserve it

There's no urgency for my shoes, these will see me through the rest of this year's races so I'll keep looking, but if you see any do let me know.

The weather at Mablethorpe was perfect, dry, sunny, little or no wind.   Probably about 10 degrees at start and warmed to maybe 14 or so.

No rest for the wicked,  I have Leicester marathon this weekend (as does mowzer and Keith), then Dartmoor Vale (my local, only a mile from home), then Dublin.

09/10/2012 at 08:32

Mowser - Fantastic running! So chuffed for you 

I've ordered some new shoes as well. trying some new types of the same brand I use already. Saucony and Adidas. 

I see that guy that hopped on the bus at Keilder marathon. Rob Sloan has been at it again, although not cheating this time but running under a different name (his friends) in The Great North Run so not to gain attention! 

09/10/2012 at 10:20

Hi Shades, Please can you email a copy of your marathon plan.  Thanks!

09/10/2012 at 10:27

Morning all,

@Mowser - That's a great race report and I like the absence of hills.

@Shades - it was a PB by 10 seconds. Not a lot but definitely a PB! And it was 8 minutes faster than the Fleet half this year. Wow! That's a full calendar!

@VR - I saw that on Facebook - it's actually brought up a lot of debate but I can see why he did it (in a very misconstrude way).

I stretched last night and the quad still is a little sore so am going to give it another rest day.... is it wrong that there are already doubts creaping into my head?

09/10/2012 at 15:17

Emmy - we all have doubts and if we listened to them we wouldn't do anything!
maybe a massage? 

09/10/2012 at 17:46

@VR - I'm just being a wuss and needing to harden up! I'd love a sports massage but the guy cannot fit me in this week

Good luck at Kettlecise tonight!

09/10/2012 at 17:58
Congratulations to Emmy H and Mowser on your PBs! Must feel great, Mowser to be in the sub 4 hour group now.

Shades, thanks for the advice. Will aim to do a slow 10/11 LR on Sunday and then ease up in the few days before the race. Will be the first time ever that I have been in a race which is more than 10k so just a tad nervous!
10/10/2012 at 07:13

VR - well I hope that twit gets a further ban from UKA running under somebody else's name.

What shoes have you ordered?

RMB4 - you need to mail me your email address, can't send attachments via RW

Emmy - that's great, a PB is a PB.

The quad is such a big muscle it can be hard to judge the damage, just keep stretching gently, walk if pain free and run gently on the flat again if pain free.

Slowkoala - you'll be fine.   Put your 10K time into McMillan's race calculator and that will tell you what pace to run your 10 mile race at, hopefully may stop you going off too fast

Very drizzly today and pitch dark now for all of my run, not helped by our numpty council switching off some of the streetlights which limits my routes.

10/10/2012 at 07:47

Morning all,

Shades - I made a completely numpty mistake! It's my hamstring not my quad. I did 4 miles instead of 5 this morning as it really started to twinge. I've stretched it and done some self massage but am trying not to get too worried. A question - when would you take ibruprofen and when would you not? I read an article from Hal Higdon and he said that we should avoid them when running as you should 'feel' the pain. Do you have any advice?

It's also dark and cold here Not nice weather at the moment.

10/10/2012 at 08:19

Emmy - LOL although it's not funny, but good news a hamstring injury is much more common than a quad injury and there are a lot more stretches for hamstrings than quads.  If you can run, stick to the flat, run gently with small steps, no striding out, no speed work

Re ibuprofen, I never, ever take it when training, I agree you do need to know if you have any pain.   I use it if I have a niggle/injury to reduce inflammation but again not when I run, I took it for a couple of days last week for my calf.    I also use it in races.

10/10/2012 at 08:42

Lol, I was talking to a friend about my 'quad' strain and she turned to me and said: I think we need to get you a picture of the human body....! I'm going to do some more stretching and go from there.

I've heard different things about ibuprofen and when/how to use it but have never been sure about when to do when running.

Shades - when you have marathons every weekend - what does your weekly schedule look like in between? There are a few marathons next year that are very close together and i'm trying to work out if it's realistic/feasible at such a 'beginner' stage?

10/10/2012 at 13:25

Emmy - re marathons on consecutive weeks.   Everyone's routine varies, most important thing is to recover from previous race ready for the next one.  So plenty of food and sleep

Generally......

Sunday - race
Monday - recovery run
Tues- Friday - normal training
Sat - rest day
Sun - race.

Only exception is that if I have an ultra I would maybe rest on the Friday too

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.