Shades Marathon Training

57,441 to 57,460 of 67,861 messages
10/10/2012 at 14:11
Marathons in consecutive weeks?!!!

I feel tired just thinking about it, are you mad?!!

Best of luck though,
10/10/2012 at 14:19

@Shades - that's great. I'm going to give it a go in spring (hopefully) and then see how I get on. I think running on consecutive weeks could be easier than making them a month apart.

@Slowkoala - you're only just realising we're a little bonkers? If you want to see mad - ask VR or Mowser for her race calendar this year!

10/10/2012 at 14:52

Lol! Emmy! I might scare myself if I looked at my race calendar for the year.

10/10/2012 at 17:26

Emmy - I forgot to say just take extra rest days if you're tired, your body will dictate how much training you can do in between races,

Slowkoala - Running is addictive and sometimes we just end up doing more and more

VR - what shoes did you order?

11/10/2012 at 07:06

Morning Shadies 

I ordered the Adidas Adistar and Saucony pro Grid Triumph and some blue compression socks!
See you at Kettlecise tonight  

11/10/2012 at 07:13

VR - blue socks will be nice.   I've seen some runners wearing hideous pink ones

How many miles do you get out of your shoes?   Saucony are usually very good at getting a lot of miles per pair.

Yes, see you later

Damp and drizzly this morning, but very mild

11/10/2012 at 10:30

Marathons in consecutive weeks? Wow - you lot are really hard core!

It was grey, drizzling, and cold this morning. Ideal weather for my weekly tempo run! I seem to have gone faster on my undulating course, completing my 5 mile circuit at a pace of 8:23 min/mile. New world record in the independent state of Khanistan! I think I am going to smash my 10k record when I do the Croydon 10k in 10 days time. I still plan to shoot for a 8:30 pace. I have noticed that whatever pace I set ends up becoming an UPPER limit in my head and so I always end up running a little faster. Hope I can keep up the pace for the extra 1.2 miles on race day.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 10:31
11/10/2012 at 13:07

Khanivore - I think you'll smash your 10k PB time too.

Is 8.30 your prescribed tempo pace?

11/10/2012 at 13:18

Based on the PB 10k time which i did by accident during a tempo run my prescribed tempo pace should be 8:45-9:00. I tried to run at 8.15 a couple of weeks ago but failed and ended up averaging at 8.30. So, last week I ran at 8.30 and found I could just about do it and so i did it again this week. 

On my long and easy runs i am being a good boy and sticking to the prescribed paces. 

12/10/2012 at 07:17

Khanivore - it's not ideal to keep trying to run as hard as you can for a tempo run.   You will run faster and hold your pace more easily in your race.

Why not do your tempo run at 9 min/mile pace for the first mile, 8.30 for the 2nd mile, 9 for the 3rd etc.  If that goes well, next tempo run start at 8.55 m/m, then 8.25 for the 2nd mile etc.

But as you're sticking to pace in your long runs that is the most important

Chilly this morning, but brighter as no cloud so managed to find my way back on the back unlit road, did scare the traffic a bit

12/10/2012 at 07:19

Emmy - how is that hamstring?

12/10/2012 at 07:29

Hi Shades - I've been put through torture the past few days. If anyone wants to get a great present - have a look here. It hurts initially on the muscle but you can really feel it working and after 15-20 minutes it really feels a lot better and 'easier' to walk on. I ran 5 miles yesterday and kept it very easy 'conversational' pace (i sang to myself to keep it slow). It felt OK, a slight twinge but nothing as bad as the previous time. It actually only hurts when I stop and walk (e.g. at traffic lights). The plan is to run Cologne half marathon at an easy pace. No PB attempt - just take it easy.

My other question is about stitches. Every race I've had I've got a stitch that will come at around the 7 mile mark and then be really difficult for about 10 miles and then go. Do you have any advice about to handle it? It's never in the same place, never after the same thing (e.g. water/taking on gels).... I just don't know what's causing it.

Are you all ready for your marathon this weekend?

12/10/2012 at 08:23

Emmy - well it seems like the torture is working on that hamstring.   I would suggest that you wear something warm on the hamstring when you're running/racing as you say it starts to hurt when you stop so it will probably react the same way if you are running in cold weather or start to chill.

Stitches are strange things, most runners only ever get them in races and there are lots of theories what causes them.  But it does seem that it's the race situation that brings them on, this could be going a bit too fast, not breathing in a relaxed way, gulping water etc.   It could be that you're tense and at about 7 miles that tension in your core muscles brings on a stitch.   Just try and relax, drop your shoulders to avoid tension in your upper body.  

I think I'm OK for my marathon this weekend, calf muscle is easing every day, still have annoying pain in forefoot but no worse.

Not sure how the others are....Keith are you lurking?   Mowzer will be at Leicester too 

12/10/2012 at 08:27

I always Lurk

Oh here right.....

Mostly got rid of my man flu from last weekend although still a little snotty and occasionally need to cough up gunk. Other than that feeling fine.

12/10/2012 at 09:37

Emmy I have that orange GRID roller. Is that tiger tail much different to that? I have only used the GRID a few times but I swear it makes a difference. I hope your pains go away soon. 

Shades you are right. I need to slow down on the tempo run. I just read a horror story on the forum and it could be me any time! The guy had very similar running experience to me and all was going well. Then all of a sudden he started to get injuries. Then he stated his running paces - they were REALLY fast. I will slow down. I'm not training for a 10k anyway so i don't know why I do it. I will run at 8.45-9 min/mile as I am supposed to (apart from in the race).

I was meant to do a turbo trainer session last night and i didn't do it. My 'reason' was because i was busy with work but i wonder if subconciously it was because my legs were beaten up from the fast run. I wonder if i had gone slower my legs would have felt better and i would have done that turbo session.

12/10/2012 at 09:53

@Khanivore - I've never heard of it before so I don't know. I was given it as a joke present and it really seems to work.

@Keith/Mowser - good luck for this weekend! I've found sucking on a methol sweet really helps clear the gunk when i'm running.

@Shades - There are points where I am literally  There's one part that really hurts when rolled upon. That's a good advice for what to wear. I was going to wear the same capri's as last weekend but it might make more sense to bring out the tights for this one.

Thanks for the advice about the stitch. I'm going to just relax, see how things go and enjoy it. It's my favourite half marathon so I'll just enjoy the atmosphere and the beer at the end

12/10/2012 at 10:02

Emmy - it's this product. They sell it in Sweat Shop and there is a whole thread on in in the forum called Orange Roller of Death or something like that.

http://www.tptherapy.com/shop/all-tppt-products/the-grid.html

12/10/2012 at 13:37

Keith - hope you're feeling 100% by Sunday.

Khanivore - Yes, you are wise to be cautious re injuries, there's only so much the body can take before it remembers the days of pre running and decides that it needs to object to the new lifestyle!

And if you're tired, then rest.

Emmy - ease up on the roller treatment now until the race is over, if you're resting tomorrow why not take an ibuprofen or two and get some rest, still stretch though

Good luck with the stitch.

12/10/2012 at 14:06

Crickey Khanivore - that's looks evil! To be honest - I thought that this would be "ok" until I felt it!

@Shades - thank you. I'll rest and stretch tonight and tomorrow and then go from there for race day. I've been promised a beer at mile 10 to keep my head 'focused' so I think it's going to be a good day!

Good luck to everyone racing/running/ploding this weekend.

13/10/2012 at 06:41

Emmy - LOL at the beer at 10 miles!   Have a good race.

Usual round of shopping, library etc then home to pack and off to Lutterworth tonight in prep for Leicester marathon tomorrow.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.