Shades Marathon Training

57,461 to 57,480 of 66,550 messages
13/10/2012 at 08:19

I'm 5 miles away from the race start in a retail park area tonight at one one the PI's.

Weather forecast according to Met Office for tomorrow is 5C @7am going up to 10-11C lunchtime with a very light breeze which picks up a little in the afternoon.

13/10/2012 at 11:36

Keith - sounds like you're staying at Fosse Park PI?   I stayed there last year, a huge PI.

Forecast is a bit chilly for me tomorrow, hoping my hamstring behaves in that weather, good for your sub 4 attempt though Keith.

I'm aiming for a fish and chip supper tonight at Lutterworth, hope they'll be as good as they were the last time I was there.

Signing off now until Monday, have a good weekend folks.

13/10/2012 at 16:17

Nope the Braunstone one just off of the motorway. Dinner shall be whatever is at the Beefeater downstairs unless my quick 30 min free wifi shows up somewthing better on a quick search.

13/10/2012 at 23:59

The furthest i have run is 12 miles. Tomorrow I am supposed to do 14. However, I havve been watching Ironman from Kona. I really want to go further - e.g. 16 miles. I suppose the wise thing is to stick to the plan right?

14/10/2012 at 07:53
Morning Shadies

Maybe best to stick to the plan Khanivore seeing as you haven't ran that distance before. Have a good run

Good luck to Shades and Keith

I did my long run yesterday. Circuit class this morning.
14/10/2012 at 11:28
@khanivore - I think you know what I think

Just done koln half marathon. No pain, no stitch, felt easy and a new PB to boot!!

Spoke to a lot of people and they think the course was 400m too long.

Good luck to shades, keith + mowser!

I'm off for a well earnt beer!!
14/10/2012 at 14:42
Good luck with everyone doing marathons and well done on the PB Emmy. Hope you enjoyed the beer!

Beautiful morning - did a 10 mile run which felt comfortable. Shades, I put in my 10k time into McMillan and it suggests 7m 30 for 10 miles which sounds a tad fast for my race, so will try and start with 7m 45 and speed up at the end if I still have energy!
14/10/2012 at 19:09

Guess what people three amazing things

First I had veg with my dinner last night, chicken wrapped in bacon with carrots, broccoli and chips plus er a side order of onion rings.

Secondly I never stopped at KFC on the way home or at a takeaway either back up here. Milkshake and some chocolate post race and once i have had my bath some more chocolate probably and my potato cakes.

Thirdly I have finally managed it clocking 3:58 dead by watch so will wait for the results to see if thats up or down a few seconds before updating race time on fetch.

You do actually have to put some effort in to sub 4 dont you.... last hill was a bit of a bugger and i was not in any fit state to speed up much on the last flat bit down the finish.

14/10/2012 at 19:26
Well done Keith! It's so great to hear you did so well.

Does anyone know how Shades got on?
14/10/2012 at 21:25

Mowser was a few mins in front of me and Shades was just under a hour behind me.

14/10/2012 at 21:39

Well Done Keith

14/10/2012 at 22:42

Keith and Emmy well done on your achievements.

As I did my long slow run today I felt in great form. I had to keep reminding myself to slow done. All of a sudden at 13 miles my legs felt suddenly much more tired and so i did stop at 14 miles as planned. Not sure why the sudden change in how i felt though.

Anyway, I got home, chugged some strawberry milk shake, then had some apple juice, and ate a left over tortilla with peanut butter and jam in it. Felt reasonably ok. About 30 mins later though a headache started and i still have it 5 hours later. It's horrible. 

I don't think i got dehydrated as i carried 750ml of water mixed with a zero calorie electrolyte drink (high 5 zero) and i sipped this throughout my run. Really hurts Finally decided to take a couple of anadin.

14/10/2012 at 22:48

Oh and the pace was a bit faster than the usual 10:20-10:30 I have been doing on the long runs. It was 10:10. I think this was because my last run (on Thurs) was a tempo and I kept going too fast by accident.

15/10/2012 at 07:17

Khanivore - what are you like, wanting to run further than the training plan.    Those longer runs will come aroung soon enough, so please be patient and slow down, you will not improve your fitness by running your long runs too fast, there's a reason that they need be done slower.   Hope the headache has cleared.

VR - good to know you made it to Circuits this week

Emmy - brilliant, another PB. 400m is quite a lot to be over in distance for a half, but I would expect in a big city race to measure it bit more than usual, wider roads, more people to run around and most Garmins overmeasure by 1 to 2%. 

Slowkoala - good that the 10 mile run flet comfortable.   That's a good idea to start your race at 7.45m/m you should be comfortable with that.

Keith - well done again, a fab PB and a well deserved sub 4.   Shocked at the veg too, is this an indication that you are changing your eating habits ( a bit).

Well done to mowzer, another great time and last seen clutching a bottle of bubbly for winning her age group

I had a good run 4.58, weather was too cold for me for the first half but warmed up a little later on.   Leicester is a beautiful marathon course, really varied and interesting.   Recovery run done this morning

15/10/2012 at 07:34

@Khanivore - hope the headache has cleared up now. Was it perhaps too cold for your head on the run? Did you wear a hat? I sometimes get a headache if its too cold outside.

@Mowser - well done for winning your age group - you're on fire at the moment!!

@Shades - well done on Leicester! Koeln is definitely a fast course. I normally measure a little further anyway as you mention but the 5 people I spoke to (one in the fast group who religiously follows the blue line) said that all of the people in their group measured it as long. When I hit 21.1 on my watch it was 2.10. Chip time was: 2.14.28.

I'm having a gentle stretching day and if i can fit it in - a run later on.

15/10/2012 at 08:12

its called limited menu choice actually

Still seem to have a bunged up nose too and the cat obviously missed me as she was snuggled up nar my head when she moved about around 1am... Not sure if she wasn't poking me either as i needed the loo and she followed me downstairs expecting to be let out

15/10/2012 at 08:58

Well done Keith you did it!!!

Mowser too, well done

15/10/2012 at 09:28

Brilliant times from everyone  Well done!
I cant believe Keith actually did it!!!!!  Well done mate

Mowser - I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your amazing!
I think I'm the last one left to get that elusive sub 4 !

15/10/2012 at 09:29
Edited: 15/10/2012 at 09:30
15/10/2012 at 10:54

I think I know what you were going to say Els  You and me havn't yet reached our full potential!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.