Shades Marathon Training

57,481 to 57,500 of 67,276 messages
15/10/2012 at 10:57

@VR - I think Elspeth was being incredibly inspirational in her words

15/10/2012 at 11:20

I had an AMAZING nights sleep 9 hours in all lol. Kids were very late for school this AM. Headache gone.. legs don't feel beat up.. enforcing the rest day today (was going to jump on the turbo trainer) and on to week 4 tomorrow! I love running in this structured way. Thanks Shades

Re. the pace - honestly I was doing my best to slow down. The run after my tempo run always ends up being a bit fast for some reason even though in this case that run was 3 days earlier! You have to admit, 10:10 is not exactly setting the floor on fire. I will try harder to slow down although if I manage to do next weekends 10k in 53 mins my new long run pace will be 9:25-10:42 so 10:10 is not too bad anyway. I will try to slow down to 10:20-10:30 for my next long run anyway.

Emmy - i don't think it was the cold. I didn't feel cold. In fact I removed my gloves as i stepped out of the door as it was warmer than i thought it was. I do have an ear warmer / headband thing though and with this cold snap i will take your advice and run with those next run.

15/10/2012 at 13:11

Emmy - good news that the hamstring is OK.    Did you do anything different re not getting a stitch this time?

Khanivore - good news you've got rid of that sore head and your legs are feeling good.  It would be much better to have a 10 mile or half marathon time for calculating your training paces, but I guess it's not too long until your half marathon race anyway.   I want you to slow down in training to avoid injury.

VR - you'll soon be doing a sub 4 hour too, once you get that training going

15/10/2012 at 13:24

Shades - understood. I will be slowing down in training. I just have to remember that running is now my way of life and there is no need to rush it. Speed will come on it's own over time. Thanks for reminding me - it really helps me keep perspective

15/10/2012 at 13:25

Hi Shades - You cannot believe how happy I am! I have no idea about the stitch - I focused on breathing and just taking it easy. Maybe it was the beer the night before?

How are you feeling today? Any soreness in your calf?

I've been looking at the Macmillan calculator for my pace for the coming runs/marathons and it's given the following:

Recovery: 11.33-12.24
Long: 10.38-11.51
Easy: 10.35 -11.23
Tempo: 9.31-9.50

Should I alternate which 'boundaries' i stick to every week? e.g. one week aim for the top pace of each run and then the next week - the lower paces or does it not matter?

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 13:34
15/10/2012 at 18:11

Emmy - maybe with more races you are just a little more relaxed, and fitter of course, so hopefully the stitch is history.

My calf is only slightly sore, healing nicely, last two marathons had no hills of note in them, this weekend's race does have a real Devon hil which we have to do twice so I'll need to be careful.   The bit of stiffness in my hamstring after yesterday has eased too.

Re paces, it doesn't matter, there's nothing to be gained by trying to achieve the top end of the range, just run as you feel within the range and some days you will go faster than others.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 18:13
15/10/2012 at 18:26
Well done on ANOTHER marathon Shades! Do they get easier?! You seem to knock them out as if they were just 10ks! Have you run longer distances than marathons?
15/10/2012 at 18:56

Ow my hamstring aches today...

Still almost time for large pizza for dinner, i'm sure you'll allow me one tonight

15/10/2012 at 19:18

Slowkoala - i could not run 10k's at the rate that Shades runs marathons!

15/10/2012 at 20:01
@Keith - by pizza do you mean a veggie filled salad with whole meal rice and chicken? I think you deserve it!

@shades - I need your advice (read: kick up the rear....). The plan this week is:5,11,5,22 and I'm wondering if I should/could drop the 11 as I'll be doing Amsterdam this weekend or keep it in but do it easy? It's good to hear that your calf is better. I'm going to keep stretching to avoid any further pain with the hamstring.

@slowkoala - I'm a novice but the marathons do get easier as you progress.
15/10/2012 at 20:05

@emmy novice my butt! i would not class you as a novice !

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 20:05
15/10/2012 at 20:12
Amsterdam is #4 so I'm definitely still learning! Until I'm in double figures I'll still be a novice!
15/10/2012 at 20:17

Here is what the plan says for the week.

• Tues: Easy 5
  • Wed: Easy 8
  • Thurs: Tempo 5
  • Sun: Long 12

However, on Sunday I am doing a 10k race. What should my plan for the week be?

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 20:17
15/10/2012 at 20:34

No i mean a bloody great big stuffed crust chicago town new yorker Probably meant to feed 4 with perhaps garlic bread as a side, would feed 2 a decent meal. Or er just me. I was obviously hungry as i struggle a little with these if i'm not.

Back to normal eating habits tomorrow alas as i think one splurge out meal is the only reward for a sub 4

15/10/2012 at 21:32

So yesterday was Leicester Marathon and my second serious attempt at a sub 4. First attempt August bank hol weekend was scuppered by warm weather and going off too fast at the start due to some dubious pacing

This time it was a rather cold start, having had to deice the car before driving into Leicester proper. It was warming up quite well come the race start although the first few miles were chilly.

Toilet stop a little before the 2 mile marker then onwards straight past the first drinks station. Did drink at all the others on the way round. Pace was nice and steady and comfortable until around mile 18 where it was beginning to involve more effort to maintain the same pace so it was from here that i switched from water to High 5 drinks which seemed to do the job. Some slower miles later on but that was mostly down to walking longer thru the drinks stations.

There were only two bits i walked which weren't going thru drink stations, coming up out of the piss smelling underpass before reaching the town center and also part way up the hill into Birstall before dropping down the other side in mile 22.

Surprisingly i managed to get up the hill at the end without slowing too much although there was sod all left once i hit the flat at the top and turned for the finish.

Very happy with my time of 3:58:03 chip time and as i am still suffering partly from a bunged up nose from last weeks man flu i suspect i was not 100% for the race.

Thanks to Fenland Runner for getting the pacing right this time

Mile splits

8:43
9:11
8:30
8:54
8:50
8:42
8:50
8:37
8:30
9:12
8:51
8:45
9:25
8:51
8:56
8:59
9:47
9:01
9:15
10:12
9:04
9:34
9:24
9:25
3:08 for last 0.33 @ 9:37 pace

26.33 in 3:58:03 @ 9:02 pace

5 mile splits

44:01
43:27
44:56
45:33
47:29

16/10/2012 at 07:19

Slowkoala - yes, I've done a few ultras too

Keith - well done, good report.   Now, next time no pacer.  Hope you enjoyed the pizza.

Emmy - yes, ditch the 11 miler, short easy run instead or a rest day.   I believe Amsterdam is a fast course so I think you'll get a good PB

Khanivore - a straight swop, your long run for the 10k race.   You can swap the tempo run for an easy run on Thursday but just do one mile in the middle of your run at race pace....but no more, don't be tempted to do a 'test race', you'll get a great PB too.

Pleasant run this morning, calf OK but both hamstrings a little tight

16/10/2012 at 07:29

i always enjoy pizza Although there are better ones smaller than the one i had as it wasn't that great. Probably have a different type usually but i was in a rush after work doing my shopping and grabbed the firstone.

16/10/2012 at 07:35

@Keith - I'm very jealous that you eat so much after a race! For 2 days I really struggle and then I eat anything in sight

@Shades - Thanks I've done some quality stretching this morning so hopefully i'll be fully recovered tomorrow. Amsterdam is flat and i have some goals dependent upon how i get on: A) 4.50 B) 5.00 C) 5.10 D) 5.25. I already know that if I dont get under 5.14 (the last mara result) that i'll be disappointed with myself. What's this week's plan?

16/10/2012 at 07:52

Keith I really enjoyed your race report Thanks for sharing the splits. That underpass doesn't sound very nice. Congratz on the sub 4 time! Big achievement and sounds like you can go faster if you don't have a cold and don't need the toilet on the way!

16/10/2012 at 08:08

Lol er toilet stops are part of doing a marathon alas as you should really need to go at least once, usually early on as its easier to stop for 30 seconds or so then and correct any overly fast starts plus far less hassle than queueing pre race.

For the record i could easily have eaten way more last night despite that jumbo pizza but i showed immense restraint which i shall also have to do today or rather tonight and stick to my pasta only.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.