Shades Marathon Training

57,501 to 57,520 of 65,070 messages
16/10/2012 at 07:52

Keith I really enjoyed your race report Thanks for sharing the splits. That underpass doesn't sound very nice. Congratz on the sub 4 time! Big achievement and sounds like you can go faster if you don't have a cold and don't need the toilet on the way!

16/10/2012 at 08:08

Lol er toilet stops are part of doing a marathon alas as you should really need to go at least once, usually early on as its easier to stop for 30 seconds or so then and correct any overly fast starts plus far less hassle than queueing pre race.

For the record i could easily have eaten way more last night despite that jumbo pizza but i showed immense restraint which i shall also have to do today or rather tonight and stick to my pasta only.

16/10/2012 at 08:15

Wouldn't a nice juicy doner kebab help heal all those microtears?

16/10/2012 at 08:17

@Khanivore - Agree with Keith. I think I try and plan in 5 minutes buffer just to go to the loo/tying up laces etc during a marathon... although I normally use nature than real toilets

@Keith - well done on the restraint. I wish I could have that! I'm forcing myself back to Low GI. I always feel a lot better when i'm on it and i've let myself go the past week with lots of fast sugars

16/10/2012 at 08:21

Oh now you are all making me feel guilty. I have been eating relatively healthy meals but then augmenting them with tremendous amounts of cake, chocolate puddings, and chocolate hob-nobs. I too will attempt to resist as my weight has been static (and 1 stone too high) for almost 2 months now!

16/10/2012 at 08:22

Emmy - I think you should run at 10.45 pace on Sunday (based on your half time), there are no hills so should be fairly easy to keep a steady pace and just hold that pace as long as you can.   You may well slow in the 2nd half but you'll still get a good PB.

Keith - I disagree, toilet stops are not always necessary in a marathon and as you had to stop within the first 2 miles means that you mistimed your pre race fluid intake.  So there's another 2 mins to knock off your PB next time if you get the fluid right.

Khanivore - and clog your arteries LOL

16/10/2012 at 08:26

Shades - what is the best timing for pre-race eating and drinking?

16/10/2012 at 08:35

@Shades - Thanks for that. I'm going to 'program' my watch to 10.45 and keep that pace. I have to admit that I always need the loo when I run. I've tried reducing intake, keeping the same and going several times in the morning but by mile 3 i'll always be needing a wee. I'm sure it's mental but it's easier to just have a quick break and then continue.

16/10/2012 at 09:03

Keith- well done on your sub-4 

VR- your turn next!

Emmy- Good luck for Amsterdam.

I agree with Shades re. wee stops during a race- i stop drinking an hour before the race and have never needed to stop.

I havent run for a week as i have a bad cold might go out for a short plod in a bit.

16/10/2012 at 09:17

Si - I read that it is fine to run if your cold is above the neck i.e. a head cold. In fact running may even help you get better quicker. I have been running when I have had colds and to be honest I seem to be getting over them a whole lot quicker.

16/10/2012 at 13:31

Shades - I listend to your advice. I slowed down to 10:29 min/mile. It felt really slow. I felt totally refreshed when i got home though. I did extend the run to 6 miles instead of the prescribed 5. I will probably extend tomorrows mid week long run by a couple of miles and I will run the Thursday tempo run at easy pace but increase that to 6 miles too. Then I will relax until Sunday when I will blitz that 10k

16/10/2012 at 13:33

@SiJ - I have a cup of tea in the morning with my porridge and then a glass of water and that's it. I'll maybe have a coffee before the race but that's not a certainty but i'll still need a wee when i'm starting. Strange

I hope that you feel better soon! Maybe a few rest days?

@Khanivore - you really don't like sticking to plans, do you?

16/10/2012 at 13:36

Emmy lol I do but i am supposed to run 12 miles on Sunday and I will only be running 6.2 so I would like to make up some of those miles mid week instead.

16/10/2012 at 13:39

Lol, but there's a difference between a 12 mile LSR and a 10k race. It's all your game, I suppose. Just make sure that you dont injure yourself.

16/10/2012 at 13:44

Hmm ok true. I will take it easy and stick to the plan for the rest of the week (more or less ). I definitely wont do my temp run on thurs - will just swap it for an easy session.

I'm always shocked at how slow i am. Was reading a thread about a guy who is running his easy pace runs at 8 min/mile. I have such a long way to go. Wish I had started on this journey in my 20's instead of my 40's 

16/10/2012 at 13:51

@Khanivore - One thing i've learnt... and moreso on this thread is to stop comparing myself to others. We all run our own race and the only person that we win/lose against is ourselves. Think about it - a few months ago you would have thought 10min miles were out of your league but look at you now. You're beating that with ease.

Everything takes time and in the end it's a long battle and its only with yourself.

16/10/2012 at 14:01

@Emmy thanks You are right You are the second person to give me extremely sound advice today. Earlier today I was made to decide on whether I wanted to focus on doing really well at the marathon in 2013 or do ok at the marathon and then do an ironman later in the year. I chose the focus just on the marathon option. 

10 min miles WERE an impossiblity just a few months ago. I need to be patient and stick at it. Good thing I am enjoying it so much! Thank god for you guys and this thread.

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 14:01
16/10/2012 at 14:10

Normally I spout crap! I'm my worst critic about my running/pace etc. Just before London I had a wobble after someone on facebook commented about time splits/averages and "how can you be so slow if you've been running for xx years". In comparison to them I am a snail but if I look at the improvements I'VE made in the last year  - they are ASTOUNDING. It was the people on this thread that slapped me out of it.

Everything takes time. That's why I like Shades Plan. No thinking or double guessing. If it says 5 miles easy -then its 5 miles easy for a reason and I trust in the higher wisdom!

I was talking to someone for over an hour about different training plans and they were amazed about the training plans and the 'quality' of the runs that were included. They were knocking out 50 mile weeks and still the same speed as their first marathon.

16/10/2012 at 14:31

Emmy ok all of that makes sense and is as far from crap as is possible. 

How many of you on Training Plan 2 are doing 4 days per week vs 5 days (because you are running the optional run too)? I have been doing only 4 days because I have been cycling too. However, today I decided to fully commit to the marathon and will reduce my cycling and move to 5 days per week of Shades plan running.

I realise this make it even more critical to stick to the plan and not randomly run extra miles

16/10/2012 at 16:01

Emmy H:  thank you for the recommendation for this thread.

Shandes:  I've just messaged you about the 4 day running marathon plan.  fyi my half in the spring time was 1:51, and need to find a marathon plan that just doesn't break me!!!  Am recovering from a hamstring tear so am returning gradually, am now allowed to run for 45 mins in one go so there is no stopping me really.  Mont St Michel next year will be my 5th marathon - lets hope it will be the best!!!!  Thanking you in advance

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.