Shades Marathon Training

57,521 to 57,540 of 66,756 messages
16/10/2012 at 23:06

Well done Keith - brilliant  and great to meet up with Shades yet again. There are still some problems with the gun times, as the discrepancy between those and the chip times is too great. Seems like someone started the computer too early

I needed to go to the loo at Leicester twice (thank goodness for proper toilets). Didn't go during Mablethorpe, and the only thing different at Mablethorpe was I went 3 times before the race and at Leicester only once (because they were portaloos and the queues were far tooooo long . The stopping and starting breaks your running rhythm though.

Kharnivore - you can concentrate on the marathon and then afterwards you'll be so fit you can go for the Ironman too .

Waves to OH & Elspeth - good run at Loch Ness OH

Shades - I'm looking at next year's races. Tempted by Guernsey (unless it turns out mega-expensive). Have you ever done that one?

VR - getting excited ?

17/10/2012 at 07:20

Emmy - many runners go to the loo more often pre race, a combination of nerves etc

SiJ - sorry to hear you have a bad cold, hope it clears soon.

Khanivore - yes, if you have a light head cold you can run, but at easy pace only but it will not help your cold clear any faster.

There is no need to add extra mileage this week, a 10k race is equivalent to an 8-9 mile long run and you have several weeks in hand for your plan.  

And listen to Emmy, she is right, don't compare yourself to others, it takes years of very hard training to reach our true potential and none of us will ever train hard enough to reach that far.  But we do what we can and the best thing about running is the more you put into it you will reap the rewards, but that can be doing more than you should and your just reward will be injury.   Please be patient, you have improved so much already and there's lots more to come.

Keith - even 30 secs can be the difference between a PB or not, would you normally stop 2 miles into a training run for a pee?  

Princess Fiona - I will mail you tonight

RMB4 - and I will mail you but the last time you posted on this thread I asked you to give me an email address which you didn't do, have you done so now?

mowzer - lovely to see you again too and well done on your prize and another sub 4.   Remind me next year to show you the toilets with short queues, not portaloos!

17/10/2012 at 07:36

No but then i dont also have to start a training run an a specific time either and can go for the run once i have been to the loo. To me a 30 sec stop is hardly a bother as i'd spend more than that walking to drink anyway over a marathon.

17/10/2012 at 08:21

Keith - of course you can.   My point is that you commented that a loo stop in a marathon is what is expected and all runners do it, they don't.   And if it's time you don't want to lose then there are ways to deal with it.  I know experienced marathon runners that go the the loo several times in a marathon and they think that's OK and not within their control to change, but it's a situation that they could certainly improve on.  

You don't see the elite runners at London all disappearing into the loos at Cutty Sark...LOL

mowzer - forgot to say that I heard that they started the clock too early hence the larger difference between gun and chip times.   My chip time agrees with my watch, but I wasn't stopped by the train.

17/10/2012 at 17:00

Hi Shades, sorry! I've sent you my email address.

17/10/2012 at 17:05

Hi all,

@Shades - I know you're right... I still need to perfect my pre race strategy! For me it's a fine line between dehydrated and 'ok'. But it looks like you know which loos to aim for? Do you have your race calendar for next year, yet?

@Mowser/Keith - what's the next one for you?

My friend that i'm running Amsterdam with has caught her son's stomach bug... She's begging that it clears before the weekend! I signed up for Paris today. It was the most poorly organised state of affairs I've ever seen!

17/10/2012 at 17:51

Shades - they also spend somewhat less time running it than me alas too. For me it depends what i was doing the day before usually as if i dont need to drive down the day before i can get away with drinking loads then. If i  have a lengthy drive however its more the opposite as i'm not one for stopping repeatedly just to go to the loo.

Now speaking of water anyone got a canoe going spare so i can get to work tomorrow Ever so slightly wet outside....

Carpark flooded at work and the road is covered in two patches on the way home which isn't bad being its not exactly low level round here and is barely half a mile of road i actually have to walk home down.

17/10/2012 at 22:52
Hello folks,

How are you all? Not been around much as I've not been running a lot (or very far). However, like Emmy, today I signed up for Paris marathon. I'll probably be around a bit more in light of that fact.

Looking at training plans just now and trying to decide what to do. I'd like to do Thursday reps at club which are longer as the marathon approaches (probably mile reps) and ideally keep my parkrun going (even if some weeks are a social bimble). Any thoughts? Is it feasible to do this and the tempo or do I change/add something in (like a few extra days in the week?!?)
18/10/2012 at 06:57

RMB4 & Princess fiona - emails sent

Emmy - Next year's calendar is being plotted but not set in stone, any ideas or do you want me to list my definites so far?   

I've heard Paris is a little shambolic and no chance of getting to a loo easily before the start there!

Hope your friend recovers OK

Hi Clag - good to see you and great to hear you're going to do another marathon.   Keep your club session and park run but drop the tempo run otherwise you're doing too many speed sessions.  Mile reps are great marathon training.

Keith - we had a dry day yesterday, must have sent it up your way.   Time to buy some wellies perhaps?

18/10/2012 at 07:24

Despite the fact i already have 8 marathons and ultras sorted for next year i've not actually bothered thinking about what i want to do yet.

Boston 12 hour in August and a 3rd Compton Challenge probably.

18/10/2012 at 07:29

@Shades - It was just an idea as i'm trying to sort out my list at the moment. I'm missing ones over summer/early autumn - maybe I can try some shorter races at this time. I've heard mixed reviews about Paris (starting pens smelling of urine being one) so wanted to see if that holds up. I'm more worried about the expo if i'm honest! I've heard it's a scrum on saturday.

@Clag - Well done on the application for Paris- how long were you waiting? It was a complete shambles to get in.

18/10/2012 at 08:22

mowzer - sorry omitted to reply to your question about Guernsey.  No, haven't done it as it's always clashed with Boston/Longford but I understand next year they've moved the date to September.   Hefty entry fee but have been told it's a good marathon and is pencilled in for next year.

Keith - well you've just achieved a major goal so you are entitled to a little more time to ponder the next.

Emmy - I've not heard any reports about the Paris Expo, perhaps go a day earlier if you can?

VR has promised to find our 2013 overseas marathon...but she's probably a bit busy packing for Barcelona this weekend

18/10/2012 at 08:27

@Shades - I'm trying to keep it to weekends if I can to reduce the cost down.... but it's worth a shot if I can reduce down the possible 3 hour wait! What do you look for in a overseas marathon? Atmosphere? Fast course? Where did you find the price for Guernsey? I saw 22. Sept 2013 but no price (TBC?)

I've seen VR posting a map of Barcelona on her FB so I think she's fully prepared!

18/10/2012 at 09:00
Shades - thanks! Was hoping you'd say that. I don't enjoy tempo runs alone and find that parkrun tends to be a shorter tempo. Also with the dark nights drawing in I'm finding the streets where we are not very well lit and a bit lumpy bumpy. You know me ... Running a tempo on that is an accident waiting to happen!

Emmy - I first tried to register for Paris around 1045 as it had opened earlier than scheduled. I got into the site no bother but couldn't register to run as it said I wasn't old enough. Had put my year of birth in as 2012! Had to go out with a friend so resisted the urge to try throughout lunch and went back in around 3 I think at which point I got straight on and registered. Then to book flights to find that Air France was a little overwhelmed too (but only for a few mins). Now we just need somewhere to stay. Running with 3 friends although we'll all be different paces, so hoping to get an apartment.
18/10/2012 at 09:26

Thanks Shades, safely received! R

18/10/2012 at 13:32

RMB4 - good.  Of course you are welcome to stay on the thread so we can guide you through your training, or just natter!

Emmy - re overseas marathon criteria - easy to get to, not Gatwick etc. Scenic if possible, nice food, friendly place/event.  Not too expensive.

Guernsey was the dearest marathon in UK this year so I expect it will be up there again!

I've just booked flights for this http://www.clonakiltyback2backmarathons.com/html/gallery.html

I find it hard to get past Ireland, you'll have to blindfold me!

Clag - LOL at being born in 2012, flipping internet can be so frustrating

18/10/2012 at 13:47

Shades - you shouldnt have told me about that marathon - it looks absolutely stunning! Where are you flying into? I've yet to run in Ireland but it's definitely a consideration. The only issue I have is we normally have to fly into Dublin so it's harder to get outside of that area.

18/10/2012 at 16:27
Shades and Keith - your conversations about loo stops in marathons remind me of when my dad used to run in the 80s. His PB was 2h 25mins and he would never stop for anything. I think sometimes he would wee whilst running but he did talk of competitors doing number 2s whilst running through tunnels (away from eyes of spectators) yuk!
18/10/2012 at 16:38

Emmy - flying to Cork, and it's 2 marathons

Slowkoala - wow that's impressive times from your Dad, in the genes obviously

Yuk at the toilet information though 

18/10/2012 at 18:02

Is that not what that tunnel in the docklands part of london @ london is for then....

Pretty sure there was a long line of blokes peeing in it when i did london.

Shades - Er i already have my next target lined up Sub 1:50 @ lancaster half, the nearer to 1:45 the better.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.